Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PRINT

KGP PHOTOGRAPHY PHOTOS
Ford F-150 Raptor spy photos show what appears to be a coil spring rear suspension, above, on a test truck, below, which replaces the leaf spring setup shown on the current Raptor, right.

Ford's brawny F-150 Raptor could be the next full-size pickup whose trusty but yester-tech leaf spring rear suspension system gets replaced with a smoother-riding coil spring setup.
New spy photos show an F-150 Raptor test truck with what appears to be a fully engineered and production-ready coil spring rear suspension.
Ford wouldn't say if the F-150 Raptor is getting coil springs. Spokesman Mike Levine said the company doesn't comment on future products.
Ram introduced coil spring rear suspension on the Ram 1500 pickup a decade ago — the first automaker to do so — and has won strong reviews for the improved ride.
Leaf springs are renowned for their toughness and durability, especially when hauling heavy loads. But the trade-off is a sometimes bouncy and jittery ride when the truck is unloaded.

Leaf spring suspension, a technology that dates to around the 1750s, began appearing in England on horse-drawn carriages. The technology has evolved, and many vehicles still use versions of leaf springs made with lightweight components that are more flexible than steel.
Ford incorporating technology first used by another manufacturer into the F-150 would be rare.
But the automaker has noticed the sales surge that has catapulted Ram into second place behind the F series and has been targeting Ram in ads.
Toyota, Nissan, Chevrolet and GMC all use leaf springs under the rear of their full-size pickups.

·
Super Moderator
1,110 Posts
I have never placed a smoother ride high on my list of priorities when looking for a new truck, but I suppose that smoother is better, maybe. It seems that manufacturers place too much value on magazine tests. Ram uses them now and Chevy tried coils many years ago, but went back to leaf springs. I don't know why, but I really don't expect my truck to ride as smooth as my car.

·
Super Moderator
7,742 Posts
My company just set my ass in a new '19 F150. It does not drive like a truck at all, it drives like a big heavy car... with decent acceleration. I threw it in sport mode and it did indeed perform a lot better... and drank gas quickly. Time will tell.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts