Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so while out driving I started getting a cloud blowing out behind my wagon. I found it was trans fluid (can't mistake that smell). Is there a seal or something known for failing? It didn't leak enough to negatively affect shifting at all. I haven't yet been able to tell approximately where the leak is originating, though.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, for whatever reason it looks like it stopped leaking completely, even when trying to force it. Was able to take a closer look and it looks like the culprit may be a cooler line. Won't know for certain until I'm able to get it up in the air and get under the car. Crossing my fingers that's the deal, since that shouldn't be a difficult or expensive repair.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It wasn't the exhaust. When going WOT there's a bit of an exhaust cloud, but this wasn't tjat at all. After the initial incident when I was finally able to stop the car and look, I could see trans fluid dripping down, and there was a small puddle. This has not recurred.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's a thought... I still haven't been able to get the car up in the air to inspect, but if it indeed turns out that the cooler lines are the cause, what are the chances that there's sufficient line in good enough condition to successfully splice in trans cooler hose without worrying about the remaining metal line having issues? I was thinking I may be better off completely replacing the lines (and the hoes connected to the extra cooler installed as part of the towing package), but I don't see replacement line kits available. Is there a write-up somewhere I can't find that details the best way to replace the lines completely? I'm guessing I'd be better off getting metal line and fittings, and flaring the ends or something.

Because I really don't want a repeat of my hassle of when trying to get this beast on the road by making repairs to the brake line running to the rear and it was coming apart as I was fixing it.

·
Administrator
8,180 Posts
Just my opinion, but I don't think the transmission lines would be leaking. Transmission lines will usually leak or don't leak with no in betweens - unless at a hose splice. But, I've been wrong before.

If you want to change them, all parts stores sell straight brake lines in different lengths with flared ends and fittings. Take an old one out and determine the size and approximate length of brake line that you will need. Lay the new line alongside the old line and try to match the bends in the old line. You may end up needing tube cutter and flaring tool in case you need to cut. If possible try to go back with only solid lines without any hose connections.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts