Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The moonroof gasket on my 2015 Taurus leaks in a heavy rain. Began in 2015 as a leak only when going through a car wash. Gotten progressively worse. Dealer has cleaned drain lines twice in 3 years under warranty. Most of the time it is closed so debris is not the root cause. Is there an after market solution or can I adjust the fit within the roof cutout for better gasket contact?

·
Super Moderator
7,687 Posts
Check the gasket for cracks and signs of poor contact. If it looks like it should be seating, apply a very light coat of silicon grease to the gasket. It still shouldn't leak in the car, though if the drains are clear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car is 3 years old. The gasket is in great shape. I first reported the leak to the dealer in month 1 of ownership. They tell me that all Ford prescribes is the cup of water leak test, and if it leaks, the drains are supposed to handle it. Not true when it leaks at such a high rate. I believe this maybe due to the big difference in gaps between the glass and sheet metal at the front and back opening in the roof. See the photos I attached. I am looking for advise on an adjustment or an aftermarket gasket that I can retrofit to the glass.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,687 Posts
I personally haven't dealt with a sunroof that new. My wife loves them, I hate them for your exact reason. All that aside, on older versions, you could loosen the tracks and shift the whole thing about that distance, O'd look to see if there's a fastener in an easy location to remove. Remove it and see if there is enough play in the mount to move it back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of your feedback CatSkinner, I will check it out this weekend and update this forum if successful with the adjustment!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the exact same issue with my 2015 SHO, and it is an easy fix. In my case, I think the leak was allowed by buildup of wax and soap scum that accumulated around the liner. This prevented a tight seal, and water would find a path in every time it rained. My drains were clean, and sometimes water would exit through them. Other times (about 1/3 of the time) my inside ceiling liner would get soaked.

Regardless of the cause/origin of the leak, looking at the tracks for the sunroof, and it's easy to see the occasional cause. If the leak is above the track, then the water is diverted so that it never reaches the drain. It enters somewhere in the track (pic #1), does a U-turn at the front (pic #2), and then drips down on the headliner (pic #3). The solution is to drill a small hole in the plastic right at the front, where it makes the U-turn pic #4). This allows the water to drip out there, and move on to the drain.

Drilling these holes (one on each side) has been a 100% fix for me!

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts