Ford Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if this has been brought up before?.. But I find it amazing the way the 290 responds to driving habits! I mentioned in another thread, that the 290 boss has good days & bad days. By this I mean, If you have given it stick for a while, the engine actually goes harder after! The "camminess" at idle also becomes more pronounced! If you have been sedately cruising for long periods, it becomes "mild mannered". I noticed in the days after the FPV day at Calder, ( where it was on the limit constantly), that it turned into an absolute beast! Even the average Lts per 100ks confirmed this. Before Calder was always hovering around the 15's Now working its way down from 21. Does seem that the management system learns driving habits & adjusts accordingly?

·
FPV GT Owner
363 Posts
Re:

Charliewool said:
Don't know if this has been brought up before?.. But I find it amazing the way the 290 responds to driving habits! I mentioned in another thread, that the 290 boss has good days & bad days. By this I mean, If you have given it stick for a while, the engine actually goes harder after! The "camminess" at idle also becomes more pronounced! If you have been sedately cruising for long periods, it becomes "mild mannered". I noticed in the days after the FPV day at Calder, ( where it was on the limit constantly), that it turned into an absolute beast! Even the average Lts per 100ks confirmed this. Before Calder was always hovering around the 15's Now working its way down from 21. Does seem that the management system learns driving habits & adjusts accordingly?
That is something that most Management systems do. It just seems the GT is a little bit better at it and can learn as you go not on reset. With older cars like the EECIV and EECV Falcons if you wanted to change the Management System you had to reset it. ie Take of the battery let it sit for a while, reconnect and then for the first few kms it would get used to your driving and stay that way, so you would floor it and then it would run better when you gave it a bit and ran harder, but if for the first few kms you drove like your grandma then it would be much more sedate in its idle and pickup.

·
Registered
760 Posts
its a craftmanship performance power house,the 290 has all the resources availiable to the driver,technological an absolute awe.
the very first thing i found was the outstanding dynamics a real power house.
and under unique circumstances (blowing away an hsv) creating a high performance standard.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Lets face it, there #$%ing awesome....

·
When 2 T3s are not enough
1,934 Posts
I dont see how the ECU can change , Once the program is set how can it change??? I think it justs feels better becouse you floged the car and blew the cobwebs out of it and thats my 2bobs worth.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re:

sbutler said:
I dont see how the ECU can change , Once the program is set how can it change??? I think it justs feels better becouse you floged the car and blew the cobwebs out of it and thats my 2bobs worth.
It is constantly montioring things like air/fuel ratios etc & adjusting accordingly for optimum performance ( & economy).. For instance, after my Herrod system was fitted it took nearly a week to deliver REALLY noticable performance increases. This I believe is the ECU "learning" that there is new "hardware" installed, & adjusting to suit.:idk:

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
greetings all
charlie have you run your beast up on the dyno as yet

regards
rod

·
Registered
760 Posts
the brains behind the ecu is prodrive,working in conjuction with british american racing (f1) team.
vehicle dynamics and also integrated control systems generate the kind of race-bred performance that gives the gt an distinct advantage over its competion.
hsv know the huge advantage fpv have with prodrive, that brings automotive technology to glenbarry road.
fpv is thinking beyound the competition.

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
LOL strife. mygt just loves his car. But his lines are almost like quote's you would find on FPV website.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
9 Participants
bossxr8
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing