Ford Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is currently reg in NSW and im moving to QLD and with transfer the car and get a licence in QLD in early feb.

Right now i have a set of superlows and are wondering if it will be all above board installing them. I dont want to have to take them out and put them back in again. Does anyone know the laws with height and travel length? Im pretty sure ive read on FF that you have to retain 3/4 original travel.

At the moment im sticking with the standard shocks as they are only a year old. Are there any problems with these?

Im thinking i should maybe go to pedders once all the gear is on to see what they say. Can they do engineers cert for the car being lowered?

Also, my car has standard s pac rims (14") with 225s on the back and 215s on the front.

Pete

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
fordmuscle_83 said:
i know its not best to, but is possible, and i am (just for a month).
The shock may run out of travel at full bounce. Test it first by removing the spring and bumpstop. Lift the lower arm using a jack and see if the shock binds before anything else binds.

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
QLD dont have yearly inspections like NSW, just stick some standard springs in it, get it changed over, then dump it again.

BUT check, when we moved from NSW to VIC as the car was already registered they just gave 12 months VIC rego and we claimed back the NSW rego that was left (less fee's of course), when my parents moved to QLD long time ago, they had to take the car over the pits to get QLD rego, but things may have changed.

Jason

·
Wheelman
147 Posts
here's the drum in Qld - you can go as low as you like as long as you have 100mm of clearance from the road to the lowest point on your car. That could be a muffler, diff, shockie mount or for the rice lads .... the neon lights ala 2 fast 2 furious.

Remember lower springs generally require shorter stroke shocks otherwise your shocks will underperform and die an early death. Do it properly.

G

·
XF 250 4.1 XFLOW TURBO
974 Posts
me xf has been lowered professionally with pedders (previous owners) but i has only been lowered 2.5 inchs and i wants to put superlows in so i should be able to do that without changing shocks shouldn't i

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is the only way to do it properly, Kings lows with rod hadfield drop spindles, looks great and still retains travel.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The main problem I have been told, with the XF's when they are lowered to such a great degree, the lower control arm etc is extended, as it sits by default on an obtuse angle to retain wheel angles at properly. So alot of the time, when people just dump their XF's, even some other cars, they get alot worse handling. If you do the job "PROPERLY", ie, get proper lengthened control arms, radius arms etc then that's when you start getting the benifets.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oldxr said:
This is the only way to do it properly, Kings lows with rod hadfield drop spindles, looks great and still retains travel.
How much do these cost? Your ZL looks like its at a perfect height.

·
XF 250 4.1 XFLOW TURBO
974 Posts
i love ya car mate that is nice very clean

ive got pedders lows (2.5") and im looking at gettin Kings Superlows in me XF Ghia what do u guys think

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have just installed the fronts over the weekend and hope to do the rears soon.

At first i was dissapointed with how low it was...there was still a larger gap between the tire and the guard. I went back out that night to look at it and it had dropped nicely! I wouldnt want it any lower.

I will try and get pics up soon as i have to go get the film developed!

Pete

·
XF 250 4.1 XFLOW TURBO
974 Posts
yeah when i pulled me tailshaft out i jacked me xf up so it was easier and when i put it down it didn't even look like it was lowered and it looked crap but then it sunk down and looked better but mine are only lows not superlows

1 - 14 of 14 Posts