Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Abuser of Charvels
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in painting some of my engine bay and my brakes. What is the best method to use? Can I do it in a day with spray cans? I would probably get the engine paint colour matched to my car and maybe a can of VHT for the calipers, in a nice red? The normal paint should hold up ok shouldn't it? Will I need to clear coat it?

I've never done this before so any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Calipers
1. Remove the wheel.
2. Get a spray degreaser and a wire brush and clean it good!
3. get a throw-away plastic cup, push the spray knob of the VHT caliper paint ( make sure you get caliper paint! ) through a piece of paper and spray paint into the cup ( the paper prevents it "blowing back" at you )
4. With a paintbrush, carefully paint the caliper ( you can mask up but if you have a steady hand its not necessary ). Put on a thin layer, and I mean *thin*
5. Put the little tube attachment on the degreaser and "spray" off any errant paint
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until you have a really good colour depth, remembering to allow enough time between coats for it to dry.
7. *I* would recommend 2 or 3 coats of high temp clear after this but you dont have to. It is a good protective layer and adds a depth of gloss.
8. Put wheel back on and go to next caliper...

*Be prepared to spend at least 1-2 hours per wheel, but you get better ( and quicker )at it as you go along*

·
Experimental Racer#6
8,192 Posts
You dont need caliper paint.
I just cleaned my calipers, Primed them, and painted them with VHT heat proof paint.
they have since been re painted with normal Car paint.
It has been there for 4 years.
As for the enging bay , just make sure tha parts are cleaned and degreased, i degrees then use CRC Brakleen as it is a white spirit that dries with no residue.then sand/prime etc and paint.
Vic just make sure you show us the pics when you are finished.

·
Abuser of Charvels
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, thanx guys, scary stuff.....and I've just hit my biggest snag. Anybody know where I can get Venom red put into a spray can? I tried both 3D paint stores in Canberra and they don't do it. :fraz:

I'll post pics for sure, any reason to post more pics. I'm very excited about doing this and in time for the Shannon's car show on March 7 would be awesome.

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
On my 2L cortina I did the below, and I drove it hard at times, heating the brakes up to almost red hot.

I painted my calipers without removing them, wire brush and some degreaser, be very carefull not to get anything on the pads, then I taped off the surounding area, I sprayed them with the VHT paint a matt colour (white I think) a few coats, then the colour of my car and put a little clear into the final coat, it never cracked, chipped or faded, in the 5 years I had it done for.

FORD will put paint in a can for you, but they charge a fair bit, like $30 bucks a can I think, find a Ford spare parts that does it.

Jason

·
Registered
119 Posts
Most car paint suppliers will colour match the paint and sell aerosol canisters with a reservior which you put your paint into. I cant remember the name of them but they only cost $20.

·
Abuser of Charvels
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I found a Ford dealer who can give me a can of paint but they slacked off big time as they 'thought' I was coming on Monday to pick it up and it wasn't ready, so the engine bits won't be done this weekend, but I do plan on doing the brakes. Got some VHT caliper paint in red so will give that a whirl.

Will try and prep the engine parts this week..

·
Ford Appreciation Society
3,666 Posts
If you are after normal car paint, there is an auto paint supplier in Gladstone St, Fyshwick.

If you want it in a spray can, any of the major suppliers, Auto One, Super Cheap, Auto Pro, should be able to get the Venom red. From memory, the cans come in 2 sizes.

·
Abuser of Charvels
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nobody I rang could put it for me in a can today. Supercheap doesn't do it, though I didn't try autopro or auto one. Autobahn in Belconnen can do it but don't have Venom in their system (VF code) and can't put paint I supply in their cans. I'll try the others tomorrow. Thanx.

·
Ford Appreciation Society
3,666 Posts
I just had a quick squiz in the yellow pages... Pg 1010.

Allard paint distributors (2 Isa St Fyshwick) are open sat morning and have colour matching in spray can service. 6239 1377

I'm pretty sure the others will do it too, and they all seem to be open Sat morning.

There is 5 or 6 listed.

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
look forward to hearing how the calipers come up!!! ... sounds like a mod i could do too!!! :s6:

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
Good to hear!!! look forward to it!!! :hy:

·
do YOU have rubber?
2,357 Posts
I used 2pac when painting my rockers covers and upper inlet. It is fine, you can paint engine blocks with it. We had the bits painted along with some clear coat and installed in the one day but the longer you leave it and the hotter the temperature the better it will cure. I didn't want to match the exact colour of the car, rather went something a bit deeper... some maroon with pearl. It came up very well :hy:
http://www.fordforums.com/showthread.php?t=60312

I just used the high temp VHT stuff for my callipers and painted them in position. I used car stands so all corners could be done at once... much quicker. They came up really well and IMO are best done in a contrasting colour. I did my hubs black and callipers silver.
http://www.fordforums.com/showthread.php?t=41126

Hope this helps
!Gn|T|0n©®™

·
Registered
797 Posts
painting engine ... fun fun ...

I painted my engine while it was getting rebuild ... prolly the easiest way ...

Also i didnt use and clear coating just the heat resistent stuff from supercheap ...

here are some pics:
http://www.pbase.com/evilchief/enginerebuild

Good Luck
Mic

BTW: painted engines are easier to keep clean but need more regular cleaning ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts