Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lucked out... sold the 302/C4 that was in my '70 Fairlane and bought a '78 460/C6 for $50.00 les than I was paid for the 302. The 460 has 112,000 miles on it. Was driven around west Chicago burbs by little old guy. Was dealer maintained. Compression is perfect, cylinders look fine when looking from bottom up, plugs were clean, no reason to suspect bad things... I'm not looking for a 12 second car. I just want that giant hunk of iron between the fenders with a lot of torque, and dependability.

I'm inclined to just clean the outside to metal, paint it, put new valve covers, oil pan, timing chain kit, aluminum intake, Carter AFB, new oil pump, water pump and gaskets on it and drop it in.

I know that this engine was stock with a 8.5:1 compression ratio. That probably creates my worse loss of HP but with 93 octane going for $2.50 - $ 2.70, I'm inclined to just leave it alone.

Should I pay attention to anything else?

·
429/460 Fanatic
548 Posts
stilbo said:
I lucked out...and bought a '78 460/C6 for $50.00

I'm inclined to just clean the outside to metal, paint it, put new valve covers, oil pan, timing chain kit, aluminum intake, Carter AFB, new oil pump, water pump and gaskets on it and drop it in.

I know that this engine was stock with a 8.5:1 compression ratio. That probably creates my worse loss of HP but with 93 octane going for $2.50 - $ 2.70, I'm inclined to just leave it alone.

Should I pay attention to anything else?
The 1972 & up 460's had the crank gear on the timing chains advanced 8-degrees, which effectively retarded the cam timing 4-degrees (for emmissions reasons). Therefore, replace the 1978 timing chain with one that is for 1968-1971 429/460's. Most aftermarket double-roller chains will work in this case since they typically have three keyways (one advances cam 4-degrees, the other retards cam 4-degrees and the final keyway is for "straight up" ignition timing, which is what you want). If by chance you purchase a double-roller chain that is for 1972 & up 460's and it has 3-keyways, then you can still make this work in your favor. You will the have the standard 72-up position as the 4-degrees retarded and therefore you will need to select the proper keyway that places the cam straight up for 1971 & earlier engines (yes, this is still possible with the aftermarket 72-up double rollers). We'll cross that bridge if that's what you end up buying....I recommend a Cloyes brand timing chain for an otherwise bone stock engine such as yours.

There are a lot of things you can do to this engine in order to enhance the power while keeping compression down and maintaining pump gas friendliness. In reality, the 1978 460 had closer to 8:1 compression ratio, so 87 octane pump gas will work with this engine. Believe it or not, it's possible to get improved power AND mileage with some cylinder head porting.

There are only 4 moving parts to the oil pumps, and I'd be surprised if there were any reason to change out the one that is in your engine. Couldn't hurt, though.

Good luck,

Paul

·
Registered
2 Posts
How did this work out for you? And which model did you put the 460 in?

oops..i read your post again.....Fairlane.

I just purchased same engine to put in a 68 mustang coupe.

~gary

1 - 3 of 3 Posts