Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
Joined
·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried aftermarket headlight bulbs?

I've spent a lot of time driving at night (up to 6000km a week on shuttle) and have tried almost everything. My comments:

1. PIAA Superwhite - no way worth the money. Stay clear and avoid wasting your hard earned cash.
2. PIAA Plasma Blue - I think these cost me $280 for 2 x H4. They got used for a week. Best of the blue bulbs for that HID look (not too fake), but abysmal for driving in rain. Waste of money.
3. Hella Xenon Plus - these are in fact the Phillips Premium bulbs with increased percentage of Xenon gas. These are A1 and the best product I've used. Cost is around $15 for 2 x H4s.
4. High wattage globes - not worth the risks in damage to lenses and light hardware. I tried 100W H3 in the factory driving lights which is okay but the heat buildup is noticeable. The Hella Xenons are just as good without the risk. 130W work well in auxiliary driving lights.

A trick is to ensure that you are getting a minimum of 13.5 volts at the bulb connector with the engine running. If not, you may have to wire up relays.

I think the EF uses H1 bulbs. These are a lost cause in most cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,112 Posts
In my old Commodore I had a pair of 80/100w globes with police harness. Worked OK but with the Mazda I used the Narva plus 30, only ones around at the time. Of course the Mazda also had a pair of Cibie Oscar SC spread/pencil driving light with 100w globes and a pair of Narva 180 fogs with the all weather globes. I would agree that the Hella Xenon Plus globes are the way to go. Those all weather globes were are complete waste of time, simply not enough light when your really moving.
 

·
T5 Expert Operator
Joined
·
6,540 Posts
Yeah currently i'm using the narva all weather in my EF (around $30.00) with blue parkers just for looks. Yeah i'm looking for more light as well at night as i drive on open road allot.

I've tried the narva 30% bright globes don't work too well either.

This Hella Xenon Plus in the H1's where do i get them from if they are really good me want some. How much brighter than stock are they.
 

·
T5 Expert Operator
Joined
·
6,540 Posts
Oh yeah just for the record i got 100w high beams, just the thing for people who what i call "hangout" in the overtaking lane and won't get in the left lane. I tell ya they work well, they get the message.
Oh yeah another thing there good for is when ricers cut me off when i've kicked them in a drag.
:D :D :D :D :D :D
 

·
Shhh, we're hunting Lions
Joined
·
1,610 Posts
I've got Narva Arctic Blue headlight bulbs and personally I wouldn't go back to the standard ones. The white light is so much better than the yellow light you get from standard ones its not funny.
I've also got Narva 100w Driving light which also come in handy for spoting possums in the tops of trees (angle needs to be adjusted).:CraZ:
 

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
Joined
·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This Hella Xenon Plus in the H1's where do i get them from if they are really good me want some. How much brighter than stock are they. [/B]

They need to be ordered in at Repco stores. I'll try and find my old packaging and get the part numbers. I ordered from repco Hotline and they delivered to my nearest store.
 

·
T5 Expert Operator
Joined
·
6,540 Posts
Adam W,
yeah the reason why i didn't go for the blue lights is when it's foggy or raining hard you can't see jack apparently, so I though i'd go for the all weather, but all weather give out a pretty crap light in normal night driving.


Pete,
Yeah i'll enquire about them at my local repco store. So they're pretty good??? What coour is the light?? I take it it's standard 55w.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,112 Posts
OK the only part numbers for the Hella globes that claim to be 30% brighter, I assume they're the Xenon Plus ones, that I have in the 2000 catalogue are as follows.
H1: CP 1255BL.
H3: YCP1255BL.
H4: XDP 1260/55BL.
If your really serious about seeing and are prepared to spend a bit of time and money(lots of it!) the real HID part numbers are.
Globe: XN 4000
Ballast: either 9.1367.03 or 9.1534.03 . You will need one ballast per globe and about 30mm behind the light to fit the globe in. For legal reason I would advise that only the inner highbeam lights be used. At this time only single filament HID are possible.
 

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
Joined
·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah the CP1255BL is the right part.
The HID is a bad idea at this time because they are being made from adapted globe housings. True HID runs the filament (or gas path) 90degrees to the H4/H1. They're damn expensive too.

You will notice a definite difference with the Hellas. The light is still white, but it is a higher quality and looks brighter. To prove it, change one globe first and compare. On VT-AU the difference is obvious.
 

·
T5 Expert Operator
Joined
·
6,540 Posts
Well might order some this weekend, i'll take note of the part no. perhaps they might have them in stock.
That combines with my blue parkers which give a white light and my 100w high beamers should do the trick.:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,112 Posts
HID globes are about $300 depending on who you get them from. You can buy the full conversion kit form Japan or the US but it works out at around $1500-2000. Still once you've tried them you never want to drive with anything else.:(
 

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
Joined
·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FTEfan said:
HID globes are about $300 depending on who you get them from. You can buy the full conversion kit form Japan or the US but it works out at around $1500-2000. Still once you've tried them you never want to drive with anything else.:(
Either that or wait for the new Commodore next year - it's supposed to have HIDs. Awesome - Ford should get there with the AV, at least in XR and FTE. I would option HID if that was the case so maybe they can make it an option to start with.

These HID kits should work on the XRs. After all the lights are just generic round Hellas. So, maybe you can buy the whole light unit to bolt on? There's an idea for researching....
 

·
gone
Joined
·
10,402 Posts
What ever happened to Ultra Violet light concept with and specially design windscreen coloring to view the ultra violet light?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,809 Posts
laminge said:
What ever happened to Ultra Violet light concept with and specially design windscreen coloring to view the ultra violet light?
Light amplification windscreens eh? That is truly an interesting concept
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,112 Posts
Oh yeah forgot to mention that the price for the HID globes is EACH! What size are the XR inner highbeam lights? I think I know were I could source the real deal HID lights with complex surface reflectors. By only running HID in the highbeam lights you are legal in that lowbeam HID requires headlamp self leveling and haedlamp washers. In other words a real pain the backside.
 

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
Joined
·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
FTEfan said:
Oh yeah forgot to mention that the price for the HID globes is EACH! What size are the XR inner highbeam lights? I think I know were I could source the real deal HID lights with complex surface reflectors. By only running HID in the highbeam lights you are legal in that lowbeam HID requires headlamp self leveling and haedlamp washers. In other words a real pain the backside.
I didn't know the washers were required :confused: .
I would have thought HID on high beam only would be of little benefit. Especially these days with traffic - high beam isn't used so much now.
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
2,153 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
Anyone tried aftermarket headlight bulbs?

I've spent a lot of time driving at night (up to 6000km a week on shuttle) and have tried almost everything. My comments:

1. PIAA Superwhite - no way worth the money. Stay clear and avoid wasting your hard earned cash.
2. PIAA Plasma Blue - I think these cost me $280 for 2 x H4. They got used for a week. Best of the blue bulbs for that HID look (not too fake), but abysmal for driving in rain. Waste of money.
3. Hella Xenon Plus - these are in fact the Phillips Premium bulbs with increased percentage of Xenon gas. These are A1 and the best product I've used. Cost is around $15 for 2 x H4s.
4. High wattage globes - not worth the risks in damage to lenses and light hardware. I tried 100W H3 in the factory driving lights which is okay but the heat buildup is noticeable. The Hella Xenons are just as good without the risk. 130W work well in auxiliary driving lights.

A trick is to ensure that you are getting a minimum of 13.5 volts at the bulb connector with the engine running. If not, you may have to wire up relays.

I think the EF uses H1 bulbs. These are a lost cause in most cars.
A headlight bulb on my AU Fairmont finally went and needs replacing. The current bulbs are Osram H4 60/55w. They lasted 2+ years and I had no problems with visibilty at night.

I take it these Hella Xenon Plus bulbs are readily available from spare parts stores like Repco?

What bulbs do other AU owners use?
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top