Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2000 Explorer and recently I noticed that the lights, interior and exterior, were "pulsating" while idling. So, since I just recently purchased it used from a dealer, I took it in thinking that maybe the alternator, or some part of it, was going bad. They thought the same and replaced it. The problem was still happening. So, the dealer put another alternator on and replaced the battery as well. We're still having the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas on this? My dealership and I are both stumped. I'm planning on making an appointment at the local Ford garage, but was curious if anyone else has seen this.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,722 Posts
Usually a sign of a battery about to die. However, as you have replaced that check earth wire from battery is tightly earthed (usually on motor). Could be the idle shake is causing it if the earth is loose. Similary check positive lead is tight at starter.

·
do YOU have rubber?
2,357 Posts
They didn’t reuse the old rectifier assembly did they? Did they install an alternator of the correct specification?

·
No longer around
4,882 Posts
my NC does exactly this, and i have no idea wat it is
i believe its alternator related, but havent yet had it checked

·
Registered
162 Posts
Mine did this at one stage, i had the alternator tested a few days ago and its charging at 14.33v, the auto leccy said this is fine. It doesnt do it now but my voltmeter on my sports dash goes up n down a bit though.

I reckon its a bad earth somewhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts