Ford Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Chasing down oil leaks...
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my car to the mechanics down the road to get welch plugs replaced, radiator cored, auto trans service, etc and I rang em up to see how they're going with it... Conversation ensured...

"How's the EA going?"

"Umm we did the welch plugs but having trouble with the temp gauge - it doesn't stay still - but your radiator was 20% blocked"

"Yeah thats what EA's do - lots of people I know have temp gauge problems"

"Maybe its the temp gauge sender?"

"Replaced"

"Thermostat - is yours new?"

"Two weeks old - and it doesn't matter cos the last five have done the same thing"

"Oh ok. We've never heard of it."

They reckon it's an air pocket and I reckon thats what it is too. I know once I'll get it back, I'll put on a series 2 coolant tank with the two hoses and that may help a bit. Always good the educate some people about EA's and their mysterious problems.. LOL.. Is it possible for the ENGINE BLOCK to be blocked? Or would most of that end up in the radiator? Given as it was 20% blocked then I'm assuming that's a fair reduction in cooling potential...

I am considering putting in a cooler thermostat during this extreme heat for a month or so until it cools down. I am willing to sacrifice some fuel economy for a bit cooler running.

Another question - if the temp sender reads hot and cold which affects the dash, seeing as the ECU sensor is right next to it, would the ECU be getting constantly changing running conditions and be varying its fuel input consequently? Although that might not matter much for a CFI.

Dan..

·
I am a Turbo Wanker
2,379 Posts
^^^^^What he said^^^^^ its because of the water heating up on one side of the thermostat and then it opens, gushes thourhg and cools down and closes again, and repeats. Sending the temperature up and down. there is supposed to be a jiggle pin in the side that does the job but as usual its not adequate enough.

·
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah thanks guys I already know that and have done it before.. Just never did it to this one yet.. Was hoping to actually finding a solution to this problem because I believe it is a problem which only surfaced in my car a year or so ago. It never did it from factory and unless there has been a universal thermostat change then it still shouldn't do it.

But yes I will drill the thermostat, but want to see how the old girl goes after some cooling work is done on it.

So far the viscus hub, water pump, head gasket, radiator rodded, thermostat, etc have all been done on it and I don't see too many other problems for the cooling system to occur... Except maybe heater tap..

Still wondering about the ECU and the boucing gauge relationship. Although what I posted in the Fueltech post might confirm my suspicions.

Dan..

·
HYPER-6
593 Posts
i had my thermostat replaced and its a bit bouncy now.. ie. it'll get fairly warm - around midway.. then suddenly drop back down to normal running temperature.... where do i drill? :s5

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
That's your thermostat opening.

If it drops, then goes back up, then drops and does that a few times you need to drill a hole.

Just use Ford thermostats, they have the hole in them.

·
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've used a ford thermostat and they are essentially the same as a tridon one.. both have the little hole...

Drill in the outer ring (just inside the gasket) and place it at the highest part of the housing.

Dan..

·
Slîm Jîm
5 Posts
Axeman82 said:
I've used a ford thermostat and they are essentially the same as a tridon one.. both have the little hole...

Drill in the outer ring (just inside the gasket) and place it at the highest part of the housing.

Dan..
Hey ive had same probs with cooling systm, replaced everything including the housing, drilled a 2mm hole and still goes up high then drops back to norm then goes high n drops to normal, but not as much as what it did before i drilled the hole, would it still b alright if i redrilled another hole on other side or would that stuff something up???

·
400 kg ego
6,188 Posts
Give it a go matey... you can't go wrong with thermostats, they're only $20-25 each. :p

·
PAST EA TYCOON
292 Posts
so have the new hole closest to the top (back) of the engine bay, and the other hole with the pin closest to the front?

·
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jason_b83 said:
Hey ive had same probs with cooling systm, replaced everything including the housing, drilled a 2mm hole and still goes up high then drops back to norm then goes high n drops to normal, but not as much as what it did before i drilled the hole, would it still b alright if i redrilled another hole on other side or would that stuff something up???
Won't stuff anything up. Just reduces the temperature rating of the thermostat. IE instead of running at 92 degrees it probably effectively make it a ~90 degree thermostat. Takes a very long time to heat up though - mine used to take probably 15kms with a single 1.5mm hole on a Genuine Ford thermostat @ $27.

Look for the problem rather than the quick fix.

When you say replaced everything - is that you have no coolant leaks, no coolant use, radiator recently professionally pulled apart and cleaned, etc.. Because my car used to bounce up and down but ever since I had the head gasket fixed it now does it for ~4kms and then it balances out for the rest of the trip - the mechanics never drove it far enough for this to happen and assumed a major instrument problem.

Dan..

·
I am a Turbo Wanker
2,379 Posts
well my car never had a problem untill i had $250 worth of flushing as usual to the cooling system. then it started bouncing and a drill hole fixed it. been fine ever since.

·
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah well I've just had over the last month:-

Radiator disassembled and cleaned
New thermostat
Head gasket done and head welded
New hoses all around except for the top resovoir tank hose
New heater tap
Welch plugs

Total of $460 not including head gasket which cost around $500.

In the next month - high series coolant resovior and s pak cluster with low coolant light. Hopefully all cooling issues solved...

So the cooling system should be pretty good now. Haven't taken it for a drive yet but I'll go for a spin tomorrrow and see how it all goes. No hole in thermostat currently.

Dan...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts