Ford Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Okay, I will NOT do that, because in case anything goes wrong, I won't get a replacement so fast, because of the fact that I'm living in Germany.
Next step is connecting radio directly to the battery, then I'll let you know the result.
Is there a simple black wire in the back of the radio, that I need to take?

·
Super Moderator
1,188 Posts
Hard one to call. Your radio might have 2 wires on it not counting speakers. If ford stayed with their wiring code the power wire should be orange with black stripe. Some were connected to the headlight switch with a separate wire, some had one wire and the radio lit up at all times. Your radio might be set up with only one speaker. Maybe two. There also might be a wire for the power antenna if you have one. The power wire might be a bit thicker than the others. Your radio could have 7 wires, 5 , or 3 depends on how they wire the speakers. Power wire usually is the thicker and longer one. Could be black. Put a test light on the supposed power wire of the radio, turn the key on and off and see what happens. That will be your wire. That should be the only wire you have to move. Some
of those radios have separate grounds for the speakers. some grounded through the car
body and the radio case. There could be a ground wire from the radio connected to the
body. If you have a 4 wire speaker system ( 2 speakers ) remove the radio ground wire and connect it to the ground wires of your speakers. The radio grounds through the case and the antenna plug.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I just changed the capacitor in the alternator today. Was easier than I thought it'd be. Will need to change the brushes soon too.

Because of the fact, that I'm still rebuilding the Tbird and it's staying in the garage, I can't tell whether simply replacing the capacitor fixed the radio problem. But as soon as I can, I will let you know of course.
Just opened up another thread. Hope somebody can help me there too.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts