Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Got my 3.45 LSD!
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An upgrade that ive been thinking to do 2 my car is purchasing an LSD, but at the moment i dont have the avaliable funds to do so. So ive found out a small modification that i can do to my diff to make it behave like an LSD without having to fork out heaps of money. No its not welding the single spinner up and no spools involved, its shimming up the differential. By adding an extra shim or thruster washer to preload the factory centre with much more tension. There is already one in place, with simply doubling them up to give it the magic locking effect.
Now im hoping this works for me as ive only read about this being done, but is there anyone that has tried the procedure?
Now the diff is a bit worn to start with and i dont want it exploding on me the next week, but ive got a spare diff in the garage.(just in case)
Any Comments?

·
Registered
917 Posts
AU dude said:
An upgrade that ive been thinking to do 2 my car is purchasing an LSD, but at the moment i dont have the avaliable funds to do so. So ive found out a small modification that i can do to my diff to make it behave like an LSD without having to fork out heaps of money. No its not welding the single spinner up and no spools involved, its shimming up the differential. By adding an extra shim or thruster washer to preload the factory centre with much more tension. There is already one in place, with simply doubling them up to give it the magic locking effect.
Now im hoping this works for me as ive only read about this being done, but is there anyone that has tried the procedure?
Now the diff is a bit worn to start with and i dont want it exploding on me the next week, but ive got a spare diff in the garage.(just in case)
Any Comments?
Well if you think the factory got it wrong ?
I suspect such additions are not going to work well and WILL cause a big increase in wear and possibly noise.

·
Registered
330 Posts
AU dude said:
Any Comments?
I've heard of that one being done years ago and it was a bit iffy whether it would work or not and it will definitely wear quicker.

Put up with what you got until you save some money and buy one.

·
Got my 3.45 LSD!
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im not really worried about the noise, atec, as my exhaust very louder and u cannot hear things like the diff whine unless u r outside the car. and northy, as far as the increased wear, last diff oil change was a black and silver metal shaving colour, so its very worn. the cars going 2 become a trailered hauled AU drift weapon lol, im puttin a stronger clutch soon and its already got the fully lowered suspension. so im really only doing it for shits and giggles. ill let u know bout the outcome.

·
Registered
917 Posts
AU dude said:
im not really worried about the noise, atec, as my exhaust very louder and u cannot hear things like the diff whine unless u r outside the car. and northy, as far as the increased wear, last diff oil change was a black and silver metal shaving colour, so its very worn. the cars going 2 become a trailered hauled AU drift weapon lol, im puttin a stronger clutch soon and its already got the fully lowered suspension. so im really only doing it for shits and giggles. ill let u know bout the outcome.
Cant really comment but one of my toys has a bad habit of breaking 4 pinion lsd if I stamp it to much , I ahve to ask why you want the lsd and cant wait as I find easing into the rush is better than spinning wheels for ET.Have you considered hunting down a mechanical solution like the diffs fitted to some volvos ? Ive used one of those and some ford diffs had a "locker" , might be a better solution ?

·
Got my 3.45 LSD!
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
atec77 said:
Cant really comment but one of my toys has a bad habit of breaking 4 pinion lsd if I stamp it to much , I ahve to ask why you want the lsd and cant wait as I find easing into the rush is better than spinning wheels for ET.Have you considered hunting down a mechanical solution like the diffs fitted to some volvos ? Ive used one of those and some ford diffs had a "locker" , might be a better solution ?

a diff lock would provide equal torque to both wheels and have no slip even if one wheel is somehow raised of the ground, fitting the shim would be the same as an ARB diff lock, minus the switch, they will always be locked depending on the level the shim it has been tightened to. shimming the diff is just a cheap option as i dont have a big budget, even my clutch is a second hand item, although im considering a second hand 2way mechanical lsd

1 - 6 of 6 Posts