Ford Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By Mark Rechtin
Automotive News / December 29, 2003

Ford Motor Co. will price the GT supercar at $139,995, not including destination charges, when it goes on sale in summer 2004.

Freight charges are estimated to be about $1,225, but are not finalized. In addition, the car will be penalized with the gas-guzzler tax.

Options will include lightweight wheels, upgraded audio, painted brake calipers and a striping scheme.

The automaker has received 700 requests to be on the GT waiting list from celebrities, athletes and corporate executives. That number does not include consumer deposits made to individual dealers, a number that Ford did not disclose.

Ford expects to sell 3,500 GTs in America over its two-year model cycle.

Attachments

·
AKA: Spaniard
848 Posts
This should be a great car, reliving the old GT40 days in a modern set-up. Good to see that they decided to go ahead with it. Shouldn't be too long 'til we see one around town or in a shop!

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Looks like a great car and at a good price too. Wish they were building it in RHD though would have been good to see a few brought over to AUS

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Motor Trend

2005 Ford GT

A legend reborn, the 2005 Ford GT made the show circuit this past year commemorating Ford's 100th anniversary. But in LA, Ford announced the price, ending many months of speculation - $139,995. Yes, for one. The GT has raced into production since its show stopping concept introduction at the 2002 Detroit show. The first "production" vehicles were displayed at Ford's centennial celebration this past June, though full production doesn't begin until summer 2004. One of these first cars was sold at the Christie's Auction of Exceptional Motor Cars at Pebble Beach, California, for $557,500, with the net proceeds going to charities. The Ford GT is powered by a hand-built aluminum 5.4-liter DOHC supercharged V-8 producing 500 horsepower and 500 lb.- ft. of torque.

·
848 Posts
RHD or LHD, you can still drive it in Australia. If I had a car like that I wouldn't care which side I was driving on so long as I had it!

·
FF Moderator
2,202 Posts
I WANT ONE. Thats around $181,986 Australian at the moment..Bargin! I would have on of those over that Monaro 427 machine in a fit!

Better start scheming..., err, I mean saving

·
Registered
10,552 Posts
Spaniard said:
RHD or LHD, you can still drive it in Australia. If I had a car like that I wouldn't care which side I was driving on so long as I had it!

Thought that you would be required to have Left Hand Drive Vehicle stickers all over it. That is what I was told would happen if I were to ship my Cobra over without converting it.

·
848 Posts
Well, in Victoria you just need to have a permit to be able to drive a LHD car. A simple thing AFAIK. Because you wouldn't want to stuff up a mad car because of it's driving side! If they want it so, then they can do for me at their expense.

I've seen some '67 Mustangs in LHD configuration driving around Melbourne.

·
I am The Brain
3,073 Posts
Spaniard said:
I've seen some '67 Mustangs in LHD configuration driving around Melbourne.
I have definately seen some too.

xdub69 said:
i heard you where only allowed to keep it lhd if the car was more then 30 years old (a classic)
:AAHHH: So you mean I can't see a new GT(40) for 30 years! :AAHHH:

·
Registered Abuser
352 Posts
xdub69 is right, you can FULLY register a car in Vic LHD only if it's 30 years old or more. You can get 'limited use' club registration on LHD cars 25 years old or more.
Spaniard, permits only last 30 days as far as I know and you may be limited as to how many they will issue on one car.
If any Aussies are real keen on buying a GT40, look into registering yourself as a motor trader (costs around $400-$500 to get registered). You can then buy one GST free, luxury car tax free (I think), drive it LHD with trade plates during business hours.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts