Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gday fella's i was just wondering , if im flogging my car around for like 10-15 mins and my oil pressure ends up getting down to 30psi at idle does that mean the motor is dying or is that just high revs heating up the oil and making it thinner or is it something more if u drive it normal, driving along it sits on 50-60psi and idling around 40psi flogging it for awhile makes it drop about 10 psi is that normal or is my motor dieing lol

although my mates engines, 3.9 and Early 4.0 sit on 10-20 at idle and rarely go over 30psi but there motors are definately pretty fresh...

·
Registered
330 Posts
EBFAIRMONT3.9 said:
Gday fella's i was just wondering , if im flogging my car around for like 10-15 mins and my oil pressure ends up getting down to 30psi at idle does that mean the motor is dying or is that just high revs heating up the oil and making it thinner or is it something more if u drive it normal, driving along it sits on 50-60psi and idling around 40psi flogging it for awhile makes it drop about 10 psi is that normal or is my motor dieing lol

although my mates engines, 3.9 and Early 4.0 sit on 10-20 at idle and rarely go over 30psi but there motors are definately pretty fresh...
Oil is thinning a bit with more heat. If it becomes a problem a change to a slightly heavier grade oil can work wonders for a tiring engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
northey said:
Oil is thinning a bit with more heat. If it becomes a problem a change to a slightly heavier grade oil can work wonders for a tiring engine.

Right on - but be aware that you WILL need to allow a little more time to warm up in the mornings. The 3.9 was never designed to run 'older engine' oil so the oil pump will struggle a bit during cold weather especially.
Having said that, the best way to shut up lifter noise is a fresh batch of 25w-40

:p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts