Ford Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have got a 2003 ford transit van 2.3 petrol/Lpg factory fitted. The problem that I am having is that it is missfiring on the LPG side and nobody can tell me whats wrong with it? I have had it serviced, put in new spark plugs, put in new induction coils, put in new wiring loomes and installed a new duel fuel control module. But still it does not work? Any ideas?????????

·
fordmech
315 Posts
Hi
You need to be more specific for anyone to help you. So, two questions: Is it ONLY misfiring on LPG and never on petrol? What type and brand of LPG system is fitted to your car?
marc

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2002 transit bi-fuel,runs fine on petrol, missfires on lpg, i have been told the valve seats on this model are a bit soft and suffer from burned outs, this does not make sense as it should also missfire on petrol if this is the problem, nobody seems to be able to help looks like main dealer job, although i have been told lucas autocentre can diagnose the problem as they can connect up and check the electrical system first

·
fordmech
315 Posts
If it only happens on LPG, and the engine runs perfectly on petrol, then it's safe to assume your system is running too lean. So, look for leaks all around. You can spray soapy water wherever there's a joint or a gasket and it will show up bubbles where the leak is. If there's none, then depending on the system you have there are a couple of things you can do, if it's a venturi type system with an adjustable mixer, turn the adjusting screw to make it richer (it will have arrows showing how to do it). If it's injected LPG, the remove the spark plugs and make the gap smaller, 0.8 max, and this will have a similar effect. cheers
Marc

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
Have exactly the same problem with my transit 2.3 2003 factory fitted LPG, works fine in petrol although there seems a small loss in power but in LPG lacks a lot of power shakes/vibrates (assuming misfires). Have checked the plug gaps and they are 0.8 mm.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have misfire on factory fitted 2003 transit bi fuel. Starts good on petrol, Runs fine on lpg when cold but after while - say 5 minuites lpg misfires. Contines to misfire o lpg until engine cools right down (overnight). Runs perfectly on petrol. Has been to main Transit dealer with no solution. Any help out there?

Thanks Chalky96

·
Registered
2 Posts
iv got a 52reg 2.3 lpg with same poblem runs brill on petrol and crap on lpg new plugs/service/gas pressure check one day runs fine dext day wont run anyone solved this problem yet please let me know what to do thanks gary

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same trouble, & I've fixed it!! My initial problem was caused by water getting under the cover plate on top of the engine. The plugs were sitting in a pond. How it ran at all I don't know. So I put new coils, leads & plugs in, & ran a bead of silicone round the cover plate mating surface. Better, but still spluttery on gas. I looked on the net again & a non transit forum mentioned that you must use dielectric grease on all HT connections & reduce the plug gap. So I got the grease on ebay for a couple of quid, & coated all Ht connectors. That's lead to coil, coil to plug, & lead to plug. I re-gapped the plugs to 25 thou (.025"). Result--------perfect!! Hope you all have the same outcome. Having done a couple of DIY LPG conversions before I know that Gas will find any weak spot in the ignition system & it seems this is what causes the problem. Regards meterman.:priest:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Having cured my missfire problems afew months ago they returned last week. But different symptoms. It would cut out when idling on gas and was undriveable on gas, kangarooing all over the place. I was diected to Dorset LPG in Poole, & a very nice knowledgeable bloke called Chris said that 99.9% of the time this problem is caused by a failed RPM filter. He changed it & so far it has cured the problem!! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just to let everyone know I fixed my lpg transit stuttering problems by changing the plugs for NGK Irridium plugs (part no. BKR6EIX-LPG). The plug gap is 0.8 mm (don't try to alter gap, it's fixed!) as opposed to the 1.1mm of the standard Ford part. With the smaller plug gap the coil packs will last longer as they are working less hard to generate a spark accross the narrower gap. Not only that, Irridium melts at 40000 degC so these plugs will last for 2 - 3 service intervals!!! Google "NGK Irridium BKR6EIX-LPG" you should be able to get them for £8 - £9 - money well spent IMO considering they will pay themselves off in 6 months by no more unburnt fuel being shot out the exhaust, clogging up the cat!!

If your transit switches to petrol even though you have a full tank - most likely your lpg filters are blocked - There are 2, one in line and one in the evaporator. I have a PDF file on the rebuild of the evaporator (the english in it is very poor but its a guide) - I'll gladly send it to anyone interested.

Please remember the dangers of working on lpg systems - you should be qualified to work on them!

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Malcolm

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just to let everyone know I fixed my lpg transit stuttering problems by changing the plugs for NGK Irridium plugs (part no. BKR6EIX-LPG). The plug gap is 0.8 mm (don't try to alter gap, it's fixed!) as opposed to the 1.1mm of the standard Ford part. With the smaller plug gap the coil packs will last longer as they are working less hard to generate a spark accross the narrower gap. Not only that, Irridium melts at 40000 degC so these plugs will last for 2 - 3 service intervals!!! Google "NGK Irridium BKR6EIX-LPG" you should be able to get them for £8 - £9 - money well spent IMO considering they will pay themselves off in 6 months by no more unburnt fuel being shot out the exhaust, clogging up the cat!!

If your transit switches to petrol even though you have a full tank - most likely your lpg filters are blocked - There are 2, one in line and one in the evaporator. I have a PDF file on the rebuild of the evaporator (the english in it is very poor but its a guide) - I'll gladly send it to anyone interested.

Please remember the dangers of working on lpg systems - you should be qualified to work on them!

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Malcolm
Hello there Malcolm,do you think you could send me the PDF file on rebuild of the Necam evaporator to [email protected]

Many thanks

Alastair

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi

thanks for the info could you email me the pdf you have as it seems i have the same problem.

many thanks karl

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Malcolm

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I have got a 2003 ford transit van 2.3 petrol/Lpg factory fitted. The problem that I am having is that it is missfiring on the LPG side and nobody can tell me whats wrong with it? I have had it serviced, put in new spark plugs, put in new induction coils, put in new wiring loomes and installed a new duel fuel control module. But still it does not work? Any ideas?????????
I have a lot of info to share.

-LPG sequiential injection
-Liquid propane injection
-Liquid propane direct injection

If some one have some questions I would gladly share with you. I Live in Ukraine , so this is not an advertising :)

for general questions or some manual/book request you can also mail me:

[email protected]

Best regards,

Alex

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
My transit misfires lacks power

Some bloke connected his diagnostic equipment and found three injectors failed and possible air flow meter?

Could this be right ? I have searched online and found other known faults but not this one

Help before I spend money on the wrong item!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
7,984 Posts
I don't know enough about LPG in cars (pretty good with a furnace, though), But maybe I can help you muddle through some of it until someone who's got some more experience shows up.

First, how old is the van, what size is the engine, and what are we looking at for KM's? 3 injectors not playing will cause for a drastic loss in power, but I'm assuming it's a 6 cylinder, so I'd be looking at a wiring issue. Check the connectors by disassembling them and looking for signs of corrosion. Clean them with a decent electronics cleaner and apply some dielectric grease to the terminals. Look for discoloration on the wires and on the head of the injector.

The air flow meter may be thrown off by the injectors not working. Not sure how to test one for an lpg, not sure how much of a difference there may be, if any. Before spending money there, I'd get your injectors working again and see if the air flow diagnostic remains.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts