Ford Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just stuffing round on my car because it was idleing rough,i have a stock maf so i pulled my hotwire out cleaned it with some injector cleaner at work now my car runs heaps better no rough idle and goes alot harder so if some one has a stock maf clean the hot wire worked for me and im happy cause it cost me nothing.

·
Formally Thomas
468 Posts
ef05l said:
just stuffing round on my car because it was idleing rough,i have a stock maf so i pulled my hotwire out cleaned it with some injector cleaner at work now my car runs heaps better no rough idle and goes alot harder so if some one has a stock maf clean the hot wire worked for me and im happy cause it cost me nothing.
Yeah common fault with MAF etting dirty. Using a Oil based filter can contribute to this fault otherwise just build up over time really.
Good to see your cars back on track

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
sounds good ef05l, was it hard to remove?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no 2 torx screws in side maf where the connector goes in, comes straight out and there a 2 hot wires, gently clean (i used injector cleaner dont no about carb cleaner)

·
No longer around
4,882 Posts
ef05l said:
no 2 torx screws in side maf where the connector goes in, comes straight out and there a 2 hot wires, gently clean (i used injector cleaner dont no about carb cleaner)
how'd ya clean it? did ya use a cottom bud and dab the cleaner at it or immerse it in it or what????

what brand injector cleaner did ya use

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Exactly what is a maf? reading the posts I think I might have an idea, but can someone explain what it is anyway :)

·
100MPH Hunter
1,045 Posts
MAF is a Mass Air Flow meter. It is located just after the airbox of the V8 cars. It measures air flow.

·
Formally Thomas
468 Posts
Fordqirl said:
Exactly what is a maf? reading the posts I think I might have an idea, but can someone explain what it is anyway :)
An MAF is a Mass Air Flow Sensor. Otherwise or commonly known as an Air Flow Metre. Used to measure air/fuel delievry to ECU. Bolts onto your airbox in terms of ur car

·
i pity tha fool
1,040 Posts
i pulled mine off and the wire sensor looked clean, kind of had a grey colour to it.. come ot think of it i shoulda taken some pics with the digi cam so you guys coulda told me whether it was dirty or not. i just looked at it, then put it back on.

·
345kw of V8 Windsor Power
2,784 Posts
MADNC_8 said:
how'd ya clean it? did ya use a cottom bud and dab the cleaner at it or immerse it in it or what????

what brand injector cleaner did ya use
Don't use a cotton bud, just spray the cleaner over the wires and through the passages of the MAF body. Any brand carby cleaner should do, or even better use some electrical contact cleaner from an electronics store, it just has less additives and leaves less residue.

jmartion, it's always woth a clean especially if you are having any idle problems. You cannot generally tell just by looking at it, you need to clean it to see. Anyone with reuseable air filters should really clean the sensor every service I would think, probably a couple of weeks after re-oiling the air filter.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
It gets very hot 200*c above ambient air..Actually there are two wires.One measures ambient air the other is the hot wire..The cooling affect of air through hot wire allows more volts..E/g Typical voltage output at idle 0.2v but at max 1.5 volt and koeo 0.70 volts...
So if its 58* under there its 258*c...
Don't spray while in car or atleast while key is on koer..

·
No longer around
4,882 Posts
EDXR8 said:
Don't use a cotton bud, just spray the cleaner over the wires and through the passages of the MAF body. Any brand carby cleaner should do, or even better use some electrical contact cleaner from an electronics store, it just has less additives and leaves less residue.

jmartion, it's always woth a clean especially if you are having any idle problems. You cannot generally tell just by looking at it, you need to clean it to see. Anyone with reuseable air filters should really clean the sensor every service I would think, probably a couple of weeks after re-oiling the air filter.
ah cool, i just wasnt sure. ill give it a go maybe this weekend. it wont stuff it at all will it (have visions of the wire disolving.......AAARRRGGHHH )

·
Lamahs approve of manuals
1,382 Posts
Just be gentle, and avoid physically touching it, and you should be right . . .

Generally if you compare the two different sides of it (front to back), you'll be able to spot the difference on colour / cleanliness. Mine was almost black on one side . . .

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
I heard from my mechanic that the hotwire has some kind of wax or protective coating on it that is dangerous to touch or try to remove if you intend cleaning it. Is that correct? I had asked him to clean it for me and he didnt even want to touch it.

·
2,784 Posts
They don't look like they have any wax coating, just bare wires. It is dangerous to touch the wires because they are very delicate, but just spraying them with cleaner shouldn't be a problem.

·
a vile merchant
714 Posts
I've never actually bothered to clean mine. Can I just spray carby cleaner thru the maf onto the wires without unbolting the electronics?

·
2,784 Posts
Should be able to, just spray the cleaner down the small sensor hole and leave it for a while to dry before reconnectiong and starting it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts