Ford Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A mate of mine is buying a second hand edelbrock performer for his clevo.
The guy who is selling it said to him that he also has for sale a metal intake gasket for it,which is better than cork gaskets??
Does this sound right?

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
The metal gaskets are ok, but they are a little more difficult to seal.
I prefer the paper side, rubber end gaskets.

Rick.

·
74 XB Fairmont
5,113 Posts
Felpro intake gaskets are fantastic. A plus side of them is they suit large ported intakes beautifly. Stock gaskets require trimming.

The metal gasket you are talking about is known as a "Bird bath" around the traps. I've tossed several.

Brenden

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
greetings all
the metal gasket is designed to stop the "HOT" oil from contacting the manifold & keeping the fuel "COOL"

regards
rod

·
Registered
227 Posts
I kept my metal gasket with the last manifold install, had to use a normal manifold gasket then the metal one over the top.

Is it really necessary? How much would it cool the manifold?

·
Registered
270 Posts
The metal plate/bird bath is meant to keep the hot oil from the bottom of the intake manifold, im not sure how much difference it does make, but have used both the tin, and the plain paper gasket for the intake and havent noticed any real difference.
If i have the tin gasket, i would use it, but if i havent got 1 or cant afford it, i would'nt worry too much.

Jim

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
i was going to post the same thing soon, as in my acl kit it didnt include the steel pan gasket just paper ones.
another question, whats better, rope end seal or rubber?

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
That is the theory of the metal gasket, but seriously, how much oil splash will be hitting the manifold anyway, bugger all. The heat soak from the heads and engine as a whole will be much more than the tiny (if any) amount of oil splash.

Rick.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
qwikcorty said:
i was going to post the same thing soon, as in my acl kit it didnt include the steel pan gasket just paper ones.
greetings all
i personally would use the rubber as i find them easier to work with but i would punch the end's of the block with a centre punch first ( very lightly ) to give the gasket something to bite into

regards
rod

·
Slurry Boostin
1,211 Posts
There is a suprising amount of difference from using the tin cover to not I think.

But as said, it is harder to get them to seal, and with ported heads, acl gaskets are very good.

What I have done with the last couple of clevo builds is keep the tin cover, drill a couple of holes in the lowest point, cut off the manifold sealing flanges, and trim it to sit nicely in the valley, without interfering with either end seals, or manfold seals.

Works a treat :)

Hope this helps.

·
74 XB Fairmont
5,113 Posts
clevo said:
I kept my metal gasket with the last manifold install, had to use a normal manifold gasket then the metal one over the top.

Is it really necessary? How much would it cool the manifold?
The "Bird bath" only really matters if you run a "cast iron" factory manifold. As cast iron holds heat. Change the manifold to alloy and the problem doesn't exist.

Brenden

·
BSR Twin System (tm)
4,751 Posts
From the factory they ran the Tin Valley Cover and Paper Gaskets at the Port Faces. It is best to do this as the Valey Pan keeps the hot oil away from the base of the Plenum. I have never had trouble getting them to seal properly.

·
Banned
555 Posts
I never had a sealing issue with them as they are used in conjuction with silicone, the rubber ends are better than the crapy cork ones becuse they use the factory pins that poke into the block to stop the rubber from falling out when fitting it in the car, and u gota b carful becuase they actualy have a rasied bead that creates the seal if you reuse it you my find it leaks.

as for oil splash it is not so important on a road car but on a race or marine application it makes the diffrence hence the water cooled intake manifolds.

·
Registered
270 Posts
qwikcorty said:

mmm, maybe im showing my age here :AAHHH: but i have used the rope seal many times and to this day i have had no oil leaks.
But the last clevo i built i had a rubber (felpro) seal and to this day the motor still runs :wnc: and has no leaks :angel:

Jim
p/s i really hate oil leaks.

·
351 - What a magic number
772 Posts
A suitable application of Loctite 515 Gasket sealant works a treat too........

Ed :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts