Ford Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Ford Member
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the best manifolds, t/bodies and other stuff you can buy for an ED 302W to get the best out of it with out opening the motor up.

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,023 Posts
Best intake manifold for it would be a 'Mustang BXR' www.mustangbxr.com Not exactly cheap though :eek:

Throttle bodies, most experts in the US think a 65mm is best for medium/low output and any larger you'll loose power/torque. But the 220Kw XR8 has a 70mm :confused:
Im pretty sure the 500Hp Saleen S351 has a 65mm one....

Exhaust manifolds, people seem to like the Pacemaker 1-5/8 headers for medium/low output, and 1-3/4 for high output (400Hp+)
 

·
CEO - The BSR Group
Joined
·
4,400 Posts
Speaking to Rob Herrod about this exact thing the other night.. he reckons the 65mm TB is the go. As far as intake manifolds are concerned, it's gonna cost you which ever way you go. You could go something like the GT40, which is nice, or Edelbrock Performer. They both seem to flow fairly well. Even the Explorer one (as on EL2's to AU2 v1) seem to do pretty well. The other thing to consider might be the kit consisting of new injectors, MAF, and airbox lid with adapator plate. Rob mentioned that this wasn't crucial unless there was a distinct need. His recommendation was to go for a Unichip solution with a mild engine, and cold air.

Hope this helps!
 

·
Ford Member
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has anyone had experiance with the Trickflow manifold that I seen in Parts Peddler or just have the o/e manifold ported (if it is possible)?

Thanks.
 

·
CEO - The BSR Group
Joined
·
4,400 Posts
Yep, I've been looking into porting the upper and lower manifolds. Asked Rob Herrod about this as well, he reckons you'd need to spend 20hrs+ to make it worthwhile... what I find interesting is that the new 220 XR8's have their Explorer manifolds ported, so I wonder exactly how Tickford do it? Obviously seems to do the trick, and mated to the new 70mm TB, would be a nice setup :cool:
 

·
Ford Member
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks el2xr8, I am in the process of selling my current car and I will be buying an ED 302W as my next car.
I would like it to be quick with having to break into it.
Your info has been helpful.

PS, any body have Landau parts for sale?
 

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
Joined
·
6,360 Posts
Martin:
Most guys in the states and here say the 65mm is big enough yes if everything els is near std esp heads/cam.The people that say that 65 is big enough, sell svo 65mm t/bodies.But if you read "Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords".They have done heaps of dyno runs and even on std mill it doesn't loose anything if you go to 70mm.Then ad more mods on latter,then it will enhance the bigger t/body even more Mind you they have a 70+ maf. Not the 55maf on early 5Ltr's .Thats the first to be changed and must be calibrated correctly,some use original Ford hot wire,in maf.[C/L?]

The new 220 kw have the 70mm t/body and maf to suit so I guess it depends on what mill you have here and what state of tune you have.Remember the 5Ltr Mustang in the states use eec4 the 5 was used on ohc mills.So make sure you tell them if you order maf and what size injectors you are using.
 

·
Ford Enhancement Specialist
Joined
·
399 Posts
MANIFOLD PORTING

el2xr8 said:
Yep, I've been looking into porting the upper and lower manifolds. Asked Rob Herrod about this as well, he reckons you'd need to spend 20hrs+ to make it worthwhile... what I find interesting is that the new 220 XR8's have their Explorer manifolds ported, so I wonder exactly how Tickford do it? Obviously seems to do the trick, and mated to the new 70mm TB, would be a nice setup :cool:
THE TICKFORD MANIFOLDS ARNT WHAT YOU WOULD REALY CALLED PORTED .THEY ARE MATCHED TO THE MANIFOLD GASKET ONLY ON THE MATCHING FACETO THE CYLINDER HEAD.
 

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
Joined
·
7,777 Posts
Re: MANIFOLD PORTING

herrod motorsport said:
THE TICKFORD MANIFOLDS ARNT WHAT YOU WOULD REALY CALLED PORTED .THEY ARE MATCHED TO THE MANIFOLD GASKET ONLY ON THE MATCHING FACETO THE CYLINDER HEAD.
This is only for the first 10mm or so from the gasket face so the effect is to stop the turbulence caused by mismatched faces between the head and the intake manifold. The upper manifold is also machined to enlarge the opening for the 70mm throttle body.

When I get money, the way to go would be the GT40 tubular intake with the manifold spacer (the spacer is something like $120 and makes a worthwhile difference).
 

·
CEO - The BSR Group
Joined
·
4,400 Posts
Yeah that would definitely be the way to go Pete. Do you know if that arrangement will fit under the bonnet though? I know that if I were to get the spacer in my EL with the GT40, the bonnet wouldn't actually close :(

BTW new 65mm TB is on as of this arvo.. improved throttle response, no noticeable power increase though. That will come shortly with a few more bits :D
 

·
Ford Enhancement Specialist
Joined
·
399 Posts
inlet manifold

el2xr8 said:
Yeah that would definitely be the way to go Pete. Do you know if that arrangement will fit under the bonnet though? I know that if I were to get the spacer in my EL with the GT40, the bonnet wouldn't actually close :(

BTW new 65mm TB is on as of this arvo.. improved throttle response, no noticeable power increase though. That will come shortly with a few more bits :D
The GT 40 manifold will fit with the spacer /on the au we dont recomend to fit the spacer as the manifold rubs on the under bonnet liner.We have brand new GT upper manifolds in stock.
 

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
Joined
·
6,360 Posts
Herrod Motorsport: How much for gt 40 inlet? Can the upper be bought seperately to fit on Cobra lower set up? If so how much??How much complete? Thanks in advance..
 

·
Ford Enhancement Specialist
Joined
·
399 Posts
gt 40 manifold

ebxr8240 said:
Herrod Motorsport: How much for gt 40 inlet? Can the upper be bought seperately to fit on Cobra lower set up? If so how much??How much complete? Thanks in advance..
We have new GT40 upper manifolds in stock they are $800.00 plus gst
 

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
Joined
·
6,360 Posts
Hmmmm $100.00 less than a Twisted Wedge complete.
I think.... I need better inlet for there is quite a difference between heads [T/W] and the inlet [Cobra] I have now.Decisions $$$$$$$$ ?????
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top