Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Hanging Around
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

Im thinking about converting to manual some time next year,
Current plans are to use a W58 Supra box (sourced locally) and the rest of the kit from castlemaine or dellow.

The reason for this decision is because of the cost factor, for the cost of a tremec box, i can get 4x W58's

The ratio's are similar to the T-5

Anyone have any comments on the W58 box,
From what I've researched, it shouldnt be too much of an issue, they can handle ~ 300hp without any problems, they are fitted to a lot of cars, 6's V8's turbo 6's etc - but if anyone knows of any issues, let me know.

381 Posts
I dont recommend Dellow. I got a supra conversion for my 500rwhp turbo 202 Tory from Dellow many years ago . I busted 3rd gear in the supra box and just recently replaced the box. I found that the spigot bush had worn alot (like the hole was about 2mm larger than it should have been) due to the input shaft only going into the spigot bush about 4mm (may have contributed to the gearbox breaking). I rang Dellow who said this was normal. I said can I machine the bellhousing to get the gearbox closer to the engine. He said no cause it will foul the clutch. Basically I got my machinist to take about 7mm off the bellhousing and it fits alot better but not perfect (the bellhousing was not true from several aspects and there is heaps of clearance for the clutch??????). Basically the young turd on the phone at Dellow knows jack shit. I'd go with Castlemain rod shop kit cause when I rang him he said he manufactures his 202 kit with the input shaft fitting fully into the spigot bearing. Also the replacement spigot bearing that I got from the Castlemain Rod Shop is definately of a higher quality than that of Dellows. The better quality from CRS should also be in the Ford EA kit.

I really dont know why you would choose a Supra 5sp over the Ford T5. Its much of a muchness I believe. I'd personally go for a T56. I saw them advertised in the Parts Trader new for $3300. I'm thinking about it now for my 600rwhp Falcoon turbo.

·
Hanging Around
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
trana, yeah i was thinking more along the lines of castlemaine, they also supply more in their kit than dellow, I think in my EB it should be ok, im only playing with around 250rwhp, so the box should stand up.
I think the T-5 would be slightly too weak, i'd most likely break it in the first few weeks.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
turbotrana said:
I'd personally go for a T56. I saw them advertised in the Parts Trader new for $3300. I'm thinking about it now for my 600rwhp Falcoon turbo.
Have fun. Those boxes are 6-8 year old design pull clutch chevy boxes. WILL NOT fit a falcon.(and no factory warranty)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
9psi EB said:
trana, yeah i was thinking more along the lines of castlemaine, they also supply more in their kit than dellow, I think in my EB it should be ok, im only playing with around 250rwhp, so the box should stand up.
I think the T-5 would be slightly too weak, i'd most likely break it in the first few weeks.
About 200rwhp is the reasonable limt for a W58. The T5 has a taller o/d, less rpm at 100. I'd go a V8 spec T5 box same as the XR6T.

·
Birth, Drift, Death...
3,039 Posts
is it possible to use a V8 spec T5 on an I6 just by changing the bellhousing? or is the input shaft the wrong length/spline count etc?

·
feed me hey
4,692 Posts
Yes you can by using a Falcon SS input shaft. They ran the V8 box behind the SS (6 cyl). WTB56 has the input shafts as far as I know. My friend also has a couple from his racing days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts