Ford Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Bring Back Jeff Kennet
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok fellas (and gals if thee out there)...

As the title suggest I am currently working all the stuff that I will need to do this. The 'box is not an issue as that is sorted. What I would like to know is mainly about the diff.

I have an EA Ghia, so that means I have a 2.77 (pretty sure). While chatting to Karl we were of the opinion that a 3.23 LSD would be the way to go. I dont want to spend to much on the diff because I want to do a couple of other things while the conversion is being done.

What diffs do you guys use? Obviously what im looking for is better take off but keep got highway economy. Something that is serverly lacking in my car at the moment. I really didn't want to spend much more than $300 on it.

Lastly I wanted to source a short shifter while I was at it. Anyone have any fitted to there T5's? I looked at both herrods and JMM sites and they dont list them. How much are they and are they worth it?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
182 Posts
SVO make the short shifters and with your diff i would go 3:45 if you do alot of high way driving it will givew you a better take off then the 2.77

·
pR()rN_*
1,966 Posts
the higher the number the more fuel you will use on the highway if you do a lot of highway driving go a 3.23 or a 3.27 from an ed they are easy to get a hold of and cheap.
Get an LSD!

Oh and this will most likely get moved.
Need to use the tech forums for this.

·
WHAT THE?
925 Posts
a 3.23LSD would be in your price range of 300 bux and shouldn't be very hard to find. Probably the best option considering 3.45's cost more and are harder to come across. With an EA t5 it'll rev at a tad over 2000rpm in 5th at 100ks so it's fine for the hwy. Make sure you definately get an LSD as not only will the shorter ratio help but you'll get heaps more grip when launching hard.

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
I wouldnt worry too much about the revs at 100 kays, i do about 2300-2400 at that speed, a 3.45 is a good happy-medium for launches and highway driving, having sed that they are also dearer because they are more popular and scarce so i think 3.23 would have to be the next best option, what ever u get make sur its a lsd :hy:

Shan.

·
E-Series Cameraman
1,388 Posts
I've got a 3.23LSD in the ol' crate, and at 100kms it uses a fair bit more fuel than it used to with the auto. Take off is alright, and highway isn't too bad, but if you're doing lots of highway driving I'd even consider a 2.92 or a 3.08.

Alex

·
feed me hey
4,692 Posts
Is that comparing with or without the cam Alex? You'll tend to find the Autos (in 4 speed form anyway) will be a bit more economical on the highway. They lock up the torque converter so theres no lost engine power. This combined with a taller top gear makes for some good fuel economy. Personally I'd still recommend the 3.23 on a manual. The reason: I went from a 2.92 to a 3.23 and noticed no change in consumption. It also puts you in a sweet bit of pwer in 4th at 100 for overtaking. The 2.92 wasn't as good for that and you sort of had to use a bit more right foot to get the same result.

·
Bring Back Jeff Kennet
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NZ said:
So where did you end up getting the conversion?
cool thanks guys...

karl you know where im getting the conversion done. I have a habit of getting ahead of myself, but I wanted to sus out the other things now.

Also guys, has anyone had any experiences with short shifters?

Ive heard of a SVO lightning shift but cant find any info on it.

·
oh no! I've gone ford mad
134 Posts
when I had a 2.77 in mine with the t5 I found it was really hard on the clutch as the take off was slow... had to slip it alot... the 3.27 made the car feel heaps better...

Thanks
Craig

·
E-Series Cameraman
1,388 Posts
Yeah I forgot about the head and cam :)

Also the fact that when you first get the T5 in you tend to drive it a little harder :)

Alex

·
i pity tha fool
1,040 Posts
327 in my eb.. the ratios on the v8 t5 mean it does, at 2000 rpm- 40kmh in 2nd, 60kmh in 3rd, 80kmh in 4th and 100kays in 5th. oh yeh, 20kmh in first.

good mix of cruise versus accel.. but if you want a bit more gusto, look for a 3.45..

·
Formerly EAII_Fairmont
917 Posts
When I first put my T5 in, I had a VN commodore shifter in it. It was a good inch shorter than the Falcon version. I soon got sick of it though. First gear was hard to get at times and the stick just had no feel at all, I also discovered that the box liked to slip out of first from time to time. I put a falcon shifter in last weekend and it feels 100 times better! Hasn't slipped out of first yet, nor is it hard to get anymore. Don't know whether I had a dodgy shifter or not, but if that's the way they are, I feel sorry for all the commo drivers out there!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts