Ford Forums banner

Manual Tranny issue

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  R.S.LOGAN 
#1 ·
Hi there. Thank you in advance for any insight.

My son has a 2005 Escape FWD 5sp manual with about 120K on it. Recently the clutch began slipping and quickly progressed to not engaging. When I arrived to help him I was able to depress the clutch pedal and start the vehicle, but raising the pedal caused only the slightest power to the wheels, which didn't last long and it now transfers no power to the wheels. When I exited the vehicle you could smell that overheated brakes scent associated with trouble. We towed it home and I've been assuming it needs a new clutch, which appears to be a pretty involved repair on this vehicle. I was thinking about it this morning and it occurred to me that while I have had many clutches go bad on me I don't remember one not engaging. Not dis-engaging, yes but never not-engaging.

I'd love your experienced input on this. Is there something else other than full clutch replacement that I should be looking at? Something simpler hopefully? And if not, would you agree that replacing the clutch on this is beyond the shade tree mechanic level ove expertise?

Thanks again!

Robert

See less See more
#2 ·
From your description , sounds like the clutch has completely burnt any lining left on the plate and collapsed causing possible unknown damage to other clutch parts and possibly flywheel .The only way to find out is to strip it down and check . As you suggest , not an easy job for the DIYer .This link for a 2001 year will give you an idea what it entails ,

https://www.justanswer.com/ford/0mcts-replace-clutch-2001-ford-escape-home.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.