Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
wanting 6 gears!
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv kept my EA spack and im not sure what to do with it.

I can either get a full manual conversion $695 + 3 months warranty and i get to keep my old 4spd. The old 4spd is strong but clonks in gears, like when you floor it the thing revs right up and goes clonk preety annoying the back tyres also spin for a second when this happens. My other option is to spend the money on a windscreen $200, 2xtyres $120, exhaust $200, machined discs $40, aircon $80. Im not sure which one to get the manual or all the other things fixed.. or is it even worth fixing the car at all. The main reason i want to convert to a manual is for speed but mainly just i want to put the thing together and just learn more about it. Should i spend the money on one of these 2 options or save it for another car ? Also will the old 4spd done 245,000km be worth anything? Damn cars

·
E-Series Cameraman
1,388 Posts
I'd go the manual conversion. I just did it on the ol' crate, and it makes a massive difference. Do the conversion, and fix the other things too. Every car will have problems at some time or another, so getting rid of it won't save you any money or trouble. Plus you'll probably have to fix all those things bar the transmission if you wanna sell it anyway. You'll learn a lot and you'll have a better car for it.

Alex

·
EB wagon
932 Posts
Yea, i agree... go the manual. More fun to drive and u get a good launch :)

Brent

·
formerly sikEA
2,142 Posts
No, your auto wouldnt be worth pissing on if it was on fire. The clunking also doesnt indicate it being too healthy either

Go the manual. I'd fix the car up too. You wouldnt get any money for it. I faced the same problem as you did about 6 months ago, but just after starting to throw money at my EA it was stolen. My decision was made for me

·
feed me hey
4,692 Posts
Manual. Did it on my EB V8 and made a huge difference for the go factor. Also there is other benifits suach as fuel consumption, weight reduction etc to name a few. For $695 i'd have to question the intergity of the box. With the 3 month warrenty you should be safe but it's a bitch to put a box in then have to pull it back out again because its cactus.

·
E-Series Cameraman
1,388 Posts
I paid $880 for the conversion kit with 3 month warranty. I figured that the money I saved I'd use to get it rebuilt. I've put it in without rebuilding it and while it goes without any dramas, you can feel it's not a fresh box if you know what I mean. In either case, it's easy as piss to get it back out again, you could probably do it in an hour...

Alex

·
wanting 6 gears!
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank its just if i put in a manual i wont be able to get things such as exhaust and aircon and no aircon is driving me insane. Now that you mention it i hope i get a decent box :/

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
Yeh for $700 I dunno how good it'd be...
Trust me do the manual first, it'll make a hell of a lot bigger difference than the exhaust. If having no a/c bothers you just drive with the window down :)

At the end of the day it depends - would you rather have a fast POS or a nice-looking slug?

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
I am going to go against the crowd here, I'd fix up everything first before it all goes to shambles. Sure the manual may bring benefits and fun, but you might find having a straight boring car is better than a car with a manual box that is falling apart. Save for the manual tranny after.

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
same here... i think it is important to fix up all the other things first, because otherwise it probably wouldnt pass a roadworthy and the cops would have a field day and it can be downright dangerous (tyres and brakes)!!! espicially when it come to tyres and brakes... theyve gotta be good otherwise your up shit creek without a paddle in a emergency, sure the manual is fun but its not a priority... save up for it when u get her all fixed up then u will appreciate the car more! my 2c !!! :hy:

·
No longer around
4,882 Posts
gotto agree with XRated and Supa Roo on this one.

stuff performance, safety is the first priority.

tyres, brakes, suspension, wheels. is the steering screwed? then maybe once all thats sorted you can go manny if you wish to.

all the cars mentioned here that have had manual conversions are in tip top shape to begin with, some even had perfect autos, others just the auto had packed up and has been replaced with a manual

·
Formerly: SmokeEA
1,117 Posts
Hang on, who was prepared to get preformace over safety? I think this person shouldnt have got a licence. Forget if u dont care about ur safety, what about everyone elses?

·
wanting 6 gears!
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Air con would be nice after i nearly died again today in the heat and the crack down the windscreen is very long now. My steering is fine it was out of alignment got it fixed a fair while ago but one front tyre that i didnt replace back then is still al worn out from it. Having an open diff my back right side tyre is gone now too. Discs would be nice and im guessing an exhaust system would be good compared to what ever comes stock. Just the manual would be fun to put in and just see how fast the engine really is without my gearbox holding me back. Im just wondering while the wrecking yard has got the conversion should i grab it before they all go

·
No longer around
4,882 Posts
ss-gt said:
Air con would be nice after i nearly died again today in the heat and the crack down the windscreen is very long now. My steering is fine it was out of alignment got it fixed a fair while ago but one front tyre that i didnt replace back then is still al worn out from it. Having an open diff my back right side tyre is gone now too. Discs would be nice and im guessing an exhaust system would be good compared to what ever comes stock. Just the manual would be fun to put in and just see how fast the engine really is without my gearbox holding me back. Im just wondering while the wrecking yard has got the conversion should i grab it before they all go
you seriously need to get tyres/brakes/screen on that car before you even consider anything mate.
and dont bother with retreads/remoulds there just trouble
most are only 120kph rated and if ur after speed then you want tyres that arent gonna fall apart on you

you'll spend close on a grand for decent tyres/brakes done and new screen fitted, then you can start worrying about changing it to manual.

manual boxes will come and go at wreckers - AU's have the same (well extremly close to it) manual box, but if uoi get dead form shit tyres/windscreen busting and slicing ur head off/ running into a truck coz of no brakes you wont get a chance to drive manual will you

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
^^^ ^^^ ^^^ thats what i reckon!!! sorry to be a party pooper but i think its best, u can have plenty of fun later with the manual :hy:

381 Posts
Just get the aircond fixed, comfort comes first then performance. Just make sure you have the best tyres, thats the most important in my opinion, no retreads and the biggest and stickiest that will fit. I had one pop at 190kph and I've aquaplaned (did a 180 nearly into oncoming traffic) going at 60kph with baldies. Its one thing I never skimp on.

·
Lamahs approve of manuals
1,382 Posts
I'm in the safety bunch . . fix the screen, brakes and tyres first.
You can live with going slow, but you might not live with bodge safety gear.

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
I was going to get a new diff (3.7 LSD) but just forked out over a grand to get my car in tip top shape. I can tell you 110% how much safer I feel (front new tyres, wheel alignment, new front rotors and new brake pads all round).

Safety for yourself first. Otherwise you will be stuck with an unroadworthy car and maybe a fine :(

·
"Steve has a car?"
2,207 Posts
Yup, no point of having a fast car if you can't stop on time to avoid an accident. As most people have mentioned, you should only start spending the bigger bucks on performance once you know your car is upto scratch safety wise...

·
wanting 6 gears!
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rotors are about $80 at supercheap i found, I usually get second hand tyres from colemans nearly full tread and good brands. I got 2x brand new brigstones last time for $70 as they where old stock or something. Im not sure how much it is to get a new windscreen ? Any idea on how much it costs to get your AC regassed ? Im wondering what I should do about exhaust and if i should get my auto serviced, I got it checked out they said the bands need adjusting. So many decisions.. just the manual is so tempting :/

1 - 20 of 22 Posts