Ford Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Cobra Member *hissssss*
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just bought my Cobra last Tuesday, and it has cheap tires on it and I'm going to be buying some new ones.

My question is... What's the max tire size that will fit on the stock 17"x8" 96' Cobra Rim?

I was thinking 265/40/17.... any other opinions/options?

·
Cobra Member *hissssss*
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
btw

hmmm, is this like Everquest on the left side bar?

If so, I'm a 60 rogue on The Tribunal... so i get no Mana Points FOO's!

·
Cobra Member *hissssss*
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bump...

come on guys.... someone has to know the answer... this one seems pretty simple.

·
Mustang Cobra Member
46 Posts
Tires & Wheels

If it will help any, I have 18" wheels all around: 8" wide with 245/40's on the front, and 10" wide with 295/35's on the rear. The suspension is lowered 1-1/2". I get the slightest rub up front on full left turn (inside edge of wheel contacts the heavyduty swaybar) and an occasional rub on the outside edge of the left rear tire by the inner edge of the fender. The rear tires just clear the exhaust pipes by about a quarter of an inch. Left front and right rear are both fine. Go figure.

·
Cobra Member *hissssss*
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I'm using 245/45/17 right now....

I was really hoping a 255/40 or 265/40 would fit... anyone have this configuration?

·
Mustang Cobra Member
46 Posts
Tire Size

I believe what you are trying to do (255's on an 8" wide wheel)
will be nixed by the tire manufactures. Surf the net for various manufacturer's sites and look up the size you want. When I was shopping, 245 was the limit on 8" wide x 18" wheels. Maybe there's some other factor involving the aspect ratio that will allow 255/40's on 8"ers?

·
Cobra Member *hissssss*
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats what im hoping! :)

·
PT Owner - SCPOC Prez
681 Posts
check out tirerack.com or tires.com. they should have some guides to help you with plus sizing your tires. i know tire rack had some very helpful information concerning minimum tire width for wheels.

·
Mustang Cobra Member
46 Posts
TIRE SIZE

According to B. F. Goodrich's website, when asked to find the 245/40R17, it comes up with the g-Force T/A KD, which it indicates requires a wheel in the 8.5" - 10" width range. They don't list a 265 width. Like I said, I'm running 245/40R18's on the front, which according to B.F.G. (which are the tires I have) the wheel width should be 8" - 9.5". So, the theory of wheel size effecting the allowable width is valid, but you fall on the wrong side of the line.
Be prepared to spend some real money on tires of this ilke!

·
Mustang Cobra Member
41 Posts
I'm running Michelin MXX3 Pilots, 245/45/17 up front & 275/40/17 rear. Great tires for autocrossing. I've made a couple of passes at the local Drag Strip. Only squeeked out a 13 sec flat @ 119 mph. (Love that Supercharger). Not as fast as my slicks, but I still give the Chevy boys a goor run.

SSSNAKE

Merry Christmas

Attachments

·
Cobra Member *hissssss*
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
275?

so pretty much any 275/40/17 will fit on the rear?

·
Registered
194 Posts
275/40/17s

yes...do the 275s in the rear and go smaller up front...we have 275s on all four corners but it's hard on the power steering and tends to pull on uneven pavement...

hope this helps:hy:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts