Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay here goes, I have a 1957 Ranchero with a '95 Lincoln Marl VIII 4.6L Twin Cam that I want to change over to '99 and later Mustang 4.6L coil on plug ignition system.
I have already changed out the valve covers to the Mustang covers, I have bought and installed the brand new coils on each cylinder and I've purchased a coil wiring harness for this conversion.
Here's where it gets sticky, The coil harness has a three wire connector for the drivers side and a similar three wire connector for the passenger side.
There are four coils on each side, I get that, but where do I connect the wiring from the Lincoln coils to this set up?
Anyone out there done this conversion?
Just need to figure out what wires need to be connected where and I've been told that the coil on plug set up has to be reverse polarity compared to the OEM set up.
Anyone out there in Ford land done this conversion that can help an old guy out?

·
Super Moderator
7,993 Posts
I haven't done it, but it's been done. As a heads up, peole that have done did not find a performance gain, but the engine bay was cleaner for it. For best results, solder for splices and heat shrink.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not looking for a performance gain. I am looking to make some room on the front of the engine... I just need someone to hold my hand and tell me what to do next step, I have the coils in and the coil wiring harness is not playing nice. I am not sure which way it goes in and which connector is for which coil both sides...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As an update on this issue,
I have purchased a COP wiring harness off of Ebay and it plugs right into the harness connectors where the coils plugged into it originally. My dilemma is that the harness is not long enough to plug into the passenger side coil connector run under the cover down the passenger side plugs, then exit the back of the cover cross over the intake and then into the rear of the drivers side coil cover plug into those coils and exit at the front to connect to the coil connector on the drivers side...
For one thing, the harness I purchased came with one of the aftermarket wire covers that are split down the side and wires go into or out of it at different areas. I've contemplated removing the cover to make access a lot easier all along the area where the coils plug in, which might make it more apt to extend the harness to the other side of the engine, or maybe I have to cut, splice and extend each wire about five or six inches, whatever is needed. Any thoughts????

·
Super Moderator
7,993 Posts
Well, loom hides a lot of mistakes. I'd solder some extensions and cover it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CatSkinner,I appreciate your input, kind of what I was thinking, but I wanted to hear someone else say it first...
I've had two strokes, had to learn to walk and talk, read, write, type all of the stuff most of us take for granted all over again, NOT FUN!
So, sometimes I have an idea and wonder if my thought is reasonable or not, sometimes I come up with some off the wall ideas...
So, I like to hear someone else who isn't dain bramaged say what I was thinking in the first place, if that makes sense...
That is what I will do, one of these days I will put some pictures of the project on here so you can see what I'm doing.

·
Super Moderator
7,993 Posts
You assume I'm not dain bramaged? You've not talked to my wife!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts