Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's not a Ford (well, yeah, whatever view people have), but my gf's 1983 Mazda 323 is being a right pain in the heat.

It'll stall like mad in the heat, yesterday you couldn't even let the thing idle without stalling. She'd stop at the lights and it just shakes like mad then dies. Putting it into neutral stopped it, so it's the extra load that's killing it.

Tried pulling the choke out when it started shaking, that just kills it even quicker, leading me to believe it's not getting enough air. I tried checking the filter but the thing was just too hot at the time to get it off.

Any other ideas on what it could be?

·
Registered
162 Posts
My g/f has a 323 as well, suprise suprise, haha, and it had this exact same problem. The 323's (81-85?) have a habit of getting vapour lock or air in the fuel system, therefore its not getting enough fuel to run the car as it evaporates away.

So when u put the choke on, it doesnt get enough air and has a hissy fit and stalls.

The other problem which i thought it may have been was the fuel boiling in the fuel bowl because of engine heat.

Get it in for a good service and tune, get the mixtures adjusted etc etc. It'll make a worl d of difference as my g/f's car no longer stalls.

I hope that helps somehow.

Mick

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's due for a service soon, I'll make sure that gets onto the mechanic and hopefully they can fix it.

Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts