Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in hearing from owners of cars in Silver or Mercury silver on the colour matching of their add on body parts. I've had my car in for a substantial amount of time for numerous paint rectifications including attrocious colour matching of the FPV rear bar and tonneu cover.

FPV's stance is that it is indeed poor and they arranged for the bar to be resprayed (obviuously forgetting about the tonneu cover). Unfortunately, the new colour match is inseparable from before and so the problem continues except this time they painted my front bar meaning I now have the problem at both ends (dammit).

having spoken to FPV Customer Service on the phone and explaining how I have put my car alongside an XT and XR in Mercury Silver and they are spot on I was tolds the FPV bar is different material etc. Not good enough. I paid almost $70k so I expect better, not worse.

If you have a BA in Lightning or Mercury please tell me how your colour match looks.

I have attached a photo of my rear bar and tonneu. You will see that despite the photo being low resolution the bar and tonneu are a much darker shade of grey. WASA will vouch for how utterly poor this is. Look closely at the gap/interface just under the tail light.

·
Proudly Average
1,305 Posts
maybe they're going for that EA GL/Taxi dark grey bumpers look?

Sorry AP. I agree that the match looks pretty poor. Best of luck getting everything (EVERYTHING) sorted to YOUR satisfaction. My uncle was a colour matcher for several car and paint companies in NZ for many years. I've forwarded this thread to him for an opinion. (uhh...yus... thuy ur dufferunt)

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I've got a Lightning Strike XR8 and the color matching of the body parts is spot on, can't see any difference in color shades between the metal and plastic bits.

·
Tickford and FPV Bloke
953 Posts
Lightening Strike is perfect compared to Mecury, i have noticed on many BA's in Mecury that there are differences.

The biggest problem with the FPV cars is that bumpers aren't painted with the car, and i think this is what you will find as being the problem.

Colour matching is best done with WET paint - dont ask me why but thats what a bloke from Mecedes Benz told me.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I think Merc Silver is the No.1 offender for bar/body colour mismatching! I have a Merc Silver XR6t sedan & it is great! However, every 2nd one I see seems atrocious? Seems the luck of the draw?.. Or maybe the old "Friday/Monday" car thing?

·
Rip Up The Track Join OFR
6,021 Posts
Charliewool said:
I think Merc Silver is the No.1 offender for bar/body colour mismatching! I have a Merc Silver XR6t sedan & it is great! However, every 2nd one I see seems atrocious? Seems the luck of the draw?.. Or maybe the old "Friday/Monday" car thing?
my Friends dad ordered a xr6 sedan late in 2002 it was mercury silver the dealer couldn,t deliver it on time because they were not happy with the color match on all the plastics, it was all removed and replaced....

·
Registered
282 Posts
Must admit my XR6 T in HgAg (Mercury Silver) was spot on with the colour matching. But I did notice with my EL Royal Blue that under arificial light (flood lights especially)the colour differences between the metal bits and plastic bits was quite noticable.

Hope you get your problems sorted out mate. But as I said my T was pretty good. Have you spoken to a good panel beater about the problem....they may have some good technical info for you to throw back at FPV?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
it difficult to get a good match between the 2 different surfaces, the metal will always give you a shinier result due to it being a much faster surface...
i think it is more noticeable on the darker colours, mine being black, it is noticable, also the metallics in the paint would have something to do with it too.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I have noticed on Dad's Black AU XR that the bumpers and rear spoiler dont match the rest of the body. its not that easy to notice but it is noticeable.

·
"Tickford- Own the road"
299 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
If you have a BA in Lightning or Mercury please tell me how your colour match looks.QUOTE]

AP, i have a mercury silver BA Ghia. The car is all good, however ive had paint problems in the front bumper bar, the paint seems to be fading/etching away.

I noticed it when it was in the bright sun light. If it hadnt been parked in the "bright" sun, i probably would not have seen. There are now, small
(5mm-12mm) spots, where the paint has actually come off, within a area of 10 square centimetres.

Im onto Brad Garlick Ford, theyre a bit shabby, trying to repaint it through their local Smash Repairs, but im not happy Jan. Ive told them I DEMAND a new bumper, but they refuse.

They (Brad Garlick Ford) said they'll "rectify the paint problems to factory specs, and if the bumper does not comply with the factory specs, then we'll replace it"..........

So far, its booked in for next Tuesday (the 13th January 04). We'll see how it turns out.

Below is a photo of my Ghia (dodgy quality)

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hello AP.

My Mercury Silver GT-P was perfectly colour matched from new.

Unfortunately - I "scratched" the front bumper and it needed repainting. I got the dealer to arrange it was was happy with the colour matching.

Unfortunately - The dealer over extended the front passenger door while removing the DVD player - see separate thread. They repainted the whole side of the car. I am mostly happy with the colour matching with slight notice between front fender and bonnet. But you must look hard AND be told the car was repainted to tell. The judge is still out as to whether I will do anything about it.

Fortunately, I do not have the colour matching problems that you had from new. Hope you had a great xmas and seasons greetings.

8 of 12.

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The problem with getting replacement parts is Ford no longer does Mercury Silver. So, it's aftermarket fix or nothing. Bummer.

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My car's hard cover and bumpers look like they were painted in a Toyota colour. They're so different even the dealer staff agree it's abysmal.

However, in their infinite wisdom Ford/FPV (whoever) have chosen to stuff me around again. SO, I've gotta get the car inspected by an independent paint assessor which of course means more delays and blah blah.

Just to give you an idea, the detailer who rectified the angle grinder and overspray damage took one look at the rear bar and upon learning who painted it couldn't believe what I was saying. It truly is THAT bad.

Every day now I park next to a VY2 Clubsport R8 in silver. The guy shopped both FPV and HSV and said the end decision came down to two things: the HSV had a better interior, and the quality of my car made him have doubts. Even today he ribs me by asking if the two tone paint was an extra cost option??? Funny damn pom!!! he he LOL

FPV Family day is coming up soon. I can't wait to have my car parked with the bumpers and hardcover looking like this....... Can't wait. If blind WASA can have a laugh about it, it should be obvious to anyone.....

·
Senior Events Moderator
1,710 Posts
It does look very poor AP lets hope your car finally get sorted out once and for all. My dad had a monaro here in orange around 6 months ago and the front and rear bumpers were about 4 shades lighter than the rest of the car. It was a site. I guess your not the only one out there driving your car like this. But for the price you paid, you would think that you would have absolutly no qaulity issues at all.

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was at the FPV Driver Training yesterday. Had the (un)fortunate ability to compare my car with another Merc Silver ute and a sedan. The ute wasn't spot on but my car was a joke in comparison. I was hoping I could swap bars when he wasn't looking but he was watching me like a hawk.

It's made me even more determined to insist on my car being fixed. Others who saw the paint match agreed mine was bordering on a joke.

·
Banned
363 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
I was at the FPV Driver Training yesterday. Had the (un)fortunate ability to compare my car with another Merc Silver ute and a sedan. The ute wasn't spot on but my car was a joke in comparison. I was hoping I could swap bars when he wasn't looking but he was watching me like a hawk.

It's made me even more determined to insist on my car being fixed. Others who saw the paint match agreed mine was bordering on a joke.
But did you have fun at the driver training AP?

My Merc Silver GT had really bad colour matching on the front bar, but after it went in for a respray with the local contractor for Penrith Ford it came back looking much better than factory. Even the Ford dealer admitted that the Ford spraying is shit house as they use the same colour mix/prep methods for both Metal and Plastic parts and the local guy does a way better job, you cannot really tell any difference on the respray job

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did I have fun at the Driver Training? What a dumb question. The John Bowe guys nominated me as "Most Ready for the LeMans 24 Hour"......

·
Banned
363 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
Did I have fun at the Driver Training? What a dumb question. The John Bowe guys nominated me as "Most Ready for the LeMans 24 Hour"......
Nice. It was the best day out I have had with my car too. So much fun spinning $70k worth of car around in circles for a little competition

·
In Pursuit of excellence
855 Posts
My au2 pursuit had really bad colour matching of the plastics. It was particularly noticeable on the nose cone. The new pursuit in blueprint is a lot better, but i rekon they could look a bit better under the bonnet and inner guards for the money you pay 4 em !!

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Paint inspection today. No surprises - the guy agreed it was simply not acceptable.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts