Ford Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Multi Car Owner
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the Jan. edition of Motor Trend they are reporting that Mercury may build a V8 RWD Cougar based on the upcoming 2004 Mustang. They are reporting that it may come with unique sheetmetal as compared to the Mustang. This will be cool if they do this.

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
this sounds good. I thought the Cougar was beeing axed next year or ceased production but i always thought it was a nice car just needed more grunt. I hope if this happens that the v8 is larger than the 3.9L Lima or whatever its called. put at least the the 4.6L Quad cam Modular from the Mustang, and improve a few stuff like brakes, stiffer suspension, and those very uncumfortable seats.

·
Multi Car Owner
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I loved the Cougar in 86. The rear end on it looked cool. Better then the stang of tha year. They even had the FI motor like the stang. Perhaps a mild collector someday!

C

·
0 Posts
hehehe.....yeah they need to bring back the probe....(hmmmm a V8 RWD probe)...anyway I like cougars also and hope it is as badass as it needs to be. Does anyone have any images?(Ive seen some of the '04 stang floating around)

·
Probe Member
8 Posts
Marqman said:
I loved the Cougar in 86. The rear end on it looked cool. Better then the stang of tha year. They even had the FI motor like the stang. Perhaps a mild collector someday!
I had an 86 Cougar LS... besides it being a rust bucket, it treated me good up until I sold it....

S

·
0 Posts
Hey Bobnoxious- The new Cougars (99-00) are just Gen.3 Porbes anyhow! But i agree bringing them back isn't the best idea. Mazda's upcoming RX-8 is just plain awsome!

·
Probe Member
37 Posts
There may be hope for a new front drive Ford sport coupe (aka Probe) if they do move the Cougar to RWD. Only if Ford still wants to compete in that market anyway... and they might not want to put out any potential competition to the SVT Focus.

Cougar is a Gen 3 Probe? Not really. Yes it did replace the Probe as a FWD sport coupe and it is built at the Probe's former factory but all similarities end there. The Probe was a re-bodied Mazda MX-6 with Mazda powertrains. The Cougar is built off of the Contour chassis with Ford Powertrain. The Cougar and Probe are both 3 door hatchs with FWD, but thats where any commonality ends.

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
Cobra said:
this sounds good. I thought the Cougar was beeing axed next year or ceased production but i always thought it was a nice car just needed more grunt.
It is being axed as a FWD model. If the rumor is true, it would be cool to see new model RWD Cougar. Hopefully, Ford will go back to the Cougar roots and make it a muscle car. From what Tim reported, it sounds like Ford is doing just that.
PorbeGT-R, I love the Probe as well. But, it isn't ever never coming back. It would be super cool if they did but, they're not. Ford is marketing the Focus way better than they did our cars. :BW: It seems that hatch back wagons are becoming popular again.

·
OKPOC - OKC Chapter Prez
105 Posts
True dat Stacy.... if only they knew how much we love our precious PGT's. :)

Oh, btw, I didn't mean to insult cougars in my previous post. I like them, and I hope they do make a RWD version.. that would be tight, and if it's cheap enough, I'd buy one... i'll be in the market by then most likely... when the probe dies. :(

·
Ford Member
103 Posts
Don't expect the Mondeo to be exported to the US. Ford has enough new product in the pipeline and I think Mercury will be killed before adding the Mondeo to its lineup.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts