Ford Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Ford Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts on the end of Mercury? Do you think it'll happen? If so, when? If not, what do you think will become of Mercury? Please, have a thought more than "yes" or "no".

·
Mustang/Cougar Member
272 Posts
I have heard a lot of rummers that Ford will keep Lincoln and do away with Mercury. Last run of the Cougar is supposed to be 2003, unless it takes on it's former 60's identity of the Mustang sister car which has also been rummered. So if the Cougar goes, I think Mercury follows as well. The other Mercury cars are Ford clones, so it would be easy to do. To bad because they could have pushed the New edge Cougar a lot furthur with more advertising and horse power, but only used it for what the desired. Younger Mercury buyers. :rolleyes:

·
Multi Car Owner
927 Posts
I don't think the Merc line will go away. Seems to me it still sells well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mercury will survive as long as the Grand Marquis sells well and is popular.

A lot of people would like to see Mercury replace with the Sable with the European Ford Mondeo or even the Australian Falcon. However, Mercury does not have a strong track record (with the exception of the Capri in the early 1970's) of selling foreign Fords.

GM wasted a lot of money trying to revitalize Oldsmobile. It would not be a good business decision for Ford to do the same with Mercury.

I would just keep the Grand Marquis, Mountaineer, Sable (or badge engineered version of whatever eventually replaces Taurus), and maybe the Cougar (badge engineered version of next generation Mustang). When Grand Marquis is no longer profitable in its current version, then get rid of Mercury.

·
irregular
15 Posts
Well, Mercury certainly could go the way of Plymouth. What do they make? Clones of the Taurus, Explorer, Crown Vic plus the unloved Cougar & Villager that are going away.
The upcoming Mercury Marauder gives a bit of hope.
I guess if I were King of Mercury :) I'd:
-- Redesign the front & rear of the Sable so it definitely looks different. Offer it only in high trim levels with a few more ponies than the Ford.
-- Grand Marquis. Damn, I don't know what to do with this thing. Change the name, at least. Maybe outfit it to be a poor man's Continental?
-- Bring over the Mondeo as a Merc.
Basically, keep Mercury as a more lux version of Ford, but not encroaching too much on Lincoln. I think that was the original idea, but it got lost with the cost-cutters.

·
Ford Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I read that article. Still doesn't convince me that Mercury's here to stay. It'll take a radical rethink of the brand, something like Mercury becoming the RWD/AWD sport/luxury division while Lincoln remains the RWD/AWD luxury/luxury division. Make Mercury the entry-level to Jaguar...something like that.

Until they start to show some fruits of their labors, I will stick with my thought that Mercury will not see their 70th anniversary (2009).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Unless there is a shift away from SUV's and extended cab pickups, I don't think it's wise for Ford to invest a lot of money into Mercury. GM invested billions into Oldsmobile and lost money.

It appears that Ford is not going to invest as much into Lincoln as earlier discussed, as Ford cancelled plans for a new RWD platform for Lincoln. It appears that all Lincoln will get are luxury versions of Ford SUV's and a redesigned LS in a few years (might resemble Continental concept car on a smaller scale).

·
Ford Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't assume that just because Ford cancelled a new platform that Lincoln's not getting new product. I know of three all new vehicles in the planning stages, in addition to the Blackwood (2002), new Navigator (2003), updated Town Car (2003), Aviator (2003), updated LS and (2005).

Just because Ford's not springing for an all-new platform doesn't mean their programs are dead.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It does appear that everything will be a derivative of Ford platforms or the LS platform. Which is good - the LS is a good versatile platform. It could easily be stretched to a large luxury sedan, and it will shrink and be simplified to replace the Mustang. Ford could do a smaller version as a 3 series competitor, a stretched version either to replace the Town Car or have a luxury sedan, and Ford could also produce a crossover derivative.

·
Algae Diesle wannabee!
47 Posts
What would it matter?

Car lines have been dissappearing since the Auto was invented.
The Strong survive, the other's ooze on out under the door. It's a fact of economic life in the U,S.

Studebaker, Packard, Nash, Oldsmobile, most Pontiac's, Kaiser's and Frazier's and lots more have all gone into the History Books just since I've been driving.

You just cant see or feel a difference between the top of the line Ford and the Top of the line Merc.
Why spend the extra on a Merc when a Ford will do quite nicely?
The Answer to that one is obvious.....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Re: What would it matter?

Thudpucker said:
Why spend the extra on a Merc when a Ford will do quite nicely?
The Answer to that one is obvious.....
Ford needs Mercury to survive in order for Lincoln to be viable. It is not feasible at this time to have Lincolns be sold at only Jaguar/Volvo/Land Rover dealerships.

·
Algae Diesle wannabee!
47 Posts
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ford needs Mercury to survive in order for Lincoln to be viable. It is not feasible at this time to have Lincolns be sold at only Jaguar/Volvo/Land Rover dealerships.

That sounds Humorous! I went Car shopping with my Yuppie Boss at all those Yuppiemobile dealers.

Honestly, My Tarus wagon was as good or better than any of them.
I just dont see the Lincolns going onto the same Showroom floor with that "Other stuff" unless you have some inside information.

If you've ever owned a Volvo, you'll know what I mean. It's a 'Different' kind of a car.
A Friend had a Rover. We just went round and round the car, weekend after weekend, replacing those U-joints.
Nope! Lincloln's a Class Car, and should be sold at a Lincoln Dealer ship.

·
Ford Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thud:

Ford's not talking about selling Lincolns in Volvo or Jaguar/Land Rover/Aston Martin dealerships. They're talking about campuses which would work.

Lincoln does not need Mercury. The campus concept would have each brand in its own area, while sharing service and other behind-the-scenes work. Sales would remain distinctly separate.

·
Algae Diesle wannabee!
47 Posts
Ford wants em all back now!

Sorry Hudson, I was answering ehaas! Didn't mean to mislead!

I spent some time with a Ford Dealership owner two years ago.
He told me Ford wants all the little Dealers out of the system now.

Old Henry wanted every corner garage to sell Fords. He just about got his wish too. But now it's all changed.

Ford's plan is to have a single, or maybe a pair of Large Dealerships in every large city, or metropolis.

In Albuquerque theres a large Auto Complex of new car dealers.
I dont know if they share the same shop for repairs or not, but they certainly share the same grounds That sound's like Hudson's "Campus" theroy.

When the name changes from Mercury to "Butterfly" you'll know the Japs are in control.

·
Registered
19 Posts
All I know is that Ford executives have said that they need Mercury because they do not believe that Lincoln can survive without Mercury. They are a lot smarter than I am. I am not a super genius like the know-it-all Hudson, who delights in criticizing, ridiculing, and nitpicking everything that everyone else says.

·
Algae Diesle wannabee!
47 Posts
I'm not so smart either

I had a Really nice, well appointed Tarus Wagon, as did my Partner. His had the electronic windshield.

Any time I went outside on Business I would rent a Lincoln or Caddy, and that was usually for a week or more! This went on for ten years.

With all that experience, you'd think I'd know the Difference between a Very Plush Ford and a Real Nice Lincoln, but I am not that sensative. They both seemed alike, and great of course, to me.

Once I rented a Mercury (Topaz?) Loaded model, in Phoenix and drove it around a little then over to L.A.
It's no DIfferent than the lincoln. It had a Compass, which wasn't all that good. The Whisky Compass on the Dash of my Ford was better.

The Point being. Lincoln can stand on it's own. It doesn't need Mercury draining off some of it's lower end sales.
Ford level cars are approaching the Lincoln's posh and appointments. So Ford dont need Mercury in the way, draining off it's high end sales.

Old's, Hudson's, Packard's, Kaiser/Frazer's, Nash's and I think Pontiac's non-Sports models all have ceased to exist because they no longer had a strong market share.
Not enought People wanted them because they were in the Middle! You could get nice Posh cars for less, and better cars for more, so why settle for a lame Duck in the middle
Now those same changing times is catching Mercury.

In America you have to sell something to stay alive. At the end of each day, you better have at least one green dollar for your efforts. Mercury is just not making it. Ford's in trouble. The whole company is in trouble. It's been in the Financial news lately.

Sombody has to make the Truncate.
soooo Stick your head down here on this block, Mercury. Soon you'll hear the swish coming.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts