Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
spin 'em up
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G Day all,
just a question about head gaskets,i heard that there is a metal head gasket u can get for 6cyl to replace the cork one, giving the engine more compression.
do you think that this is a good idea,i mean instead of blowing a head gasket something else might go,& and go in a big way.
Or the 2 metals might have a reaction under heat, what do u guys think.
fordboy.
 

·
Looking in YOUR bathroom.
Joined
·
3,287 Posts
the standard head gaskets are metal.

Your thinking of the rocker cover gasket.
 

·
wants a manual!
Joined
·
1,461 Posts
Metal rockercover gasket??? is there such a thing and would it even prevent oil leaks? i think he means the paper type head gasket with metal rings around each cylinder. i have heard of full metal head gaskets and they do give more compression. not sure how much though. dont think that they would have a reaction under heat either.
 

·
spin 'em up
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John_xr6 said:
Metal rockercover gasket??? is there such a thing and would it even prevent oil leaks? i think he means the paper type head gasket with metal rings around each cylinder. i have heard of full metal head gaskets and they do give more compression. not sure how much though. dont think that they would have a reaction under heat either.
i heard u can import them from the poms, they did the tickford inhance ments so they oviously know what they are doing, it would be worth looking into.
 

·
No longer around
Joined
·
4,882 Posts
he's thinking of copper head gaskets as used by top fuel and funny car engine builders.

mate, save youself a shitload of trouble.

do you plan on pulling you engine down every week??? because thats whay the top fuel engine builders do. one of many parts to be replaced every tear down is the headgaskets

just run a felpro or equivelant gasket kit through
 

·
spin 'em up
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i said head gasket,mybe there not made of cork, but i know what i am saying.As for rocker gasket im running rubber not cork.
 

·
No longer around
Joined
·
4,882 Posts
fordboy-m said:
i said head gasket,mybe there not made of cork, but i know what i am saying.As for rocker gasket im running rubber not cork.
was this directed at me? because if so, then please read my reply..........

i actually answered the question that you wanted answered
 

·
spin 'em up
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MADNC_8 said:
was this directed at me? because if so, then please read my reply..........

i actually answered the question that you wanted answered
no mate u were the most help thanks. i was directing it at walkinshaw
 

·
Looking in YOUR bathroom.
Joined
·
3,287 Posts
sorry dude, my bad.

Expesnive head gaskets can be a waist of $$$. The I6's dont need big compression. Stick to good quality monotorque ones.
 

·
spin 'em up
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Walkinshaw said:
sorry dude, my bad.

Expesnive head gaskets can be a waist of $$$. The I6's dont need big compression. Stick to good quality monotorque ones.
no worries, good advice
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
ummm yhe get an au head gasket its triple layer steel
 

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
Joined
·
6,360 Posts
O ringing head helps with forced unduction if there are problems.But its aften other [detonation etc] issues why h/g blow...
 

·
EA-S MPI 5-Speed
Joined
·
403 Posts
****in, all ****s on here complain about head gaskets going.
people dont seem to figure out that if you maintain your cooling system proper you dont have any problems. its user neglect that is giving the e-series such a bad name with the head gasket trouble, ok the e-series head gaskets are a little more tempremental than others but ffs look after your cooling and you will have no head gasket troubles!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,944 Posts
BoZZa17,

True, but not quite. With the different expansion rates of iron block and alloy head, gaskets are more apt to fail, in time, than with an iron block and iron head, like the good ole Windor.


cheers:beer:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,104 Posts
As a mechanic of sorts :) and having many mates in the buisness, the most common causes for EAs blowing head gaskets are:
1) overheating, caused by blocked raiator due to either neglect or casting sand.
2) The fact that very few of the 3.9 block decks appear to actually have been straight.

Usually a Falcon which comes to me or one of my mates for a new h/g will also require the block to be faced. Personally I have twice replaced h/gs which had been previously done several times in the last year, and not had any trouble with the car again.

My 2c hehe
Alex
 

·
No longer around
Joined
·
4,882 Posts
BoZZa17 said:
****in, all ****s on here complain about head gaskets going.
people dont seem to figure out that if you maintain your cooling system proper you dont have any problems. its user neglect that is giving the e-series such a bad name with the head gasket trouble, ok the e-series head gaskets are a little more tempremental than others but ffs look after your cooling and you will have no head gasket troubles!!!!!!!
i only said he will have head gasket's going because copper gaskets, like he was talking about, are verry much un reliable, on any motor.

they work really well in top fuel/funny car motors, but after about 3 runs there fvcked..... which is fine and dandy if you rebuild the engine every weekend.
 

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
Joined
·
6,360 Posts
copper gasgets work good with O rings etc and done right..
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top