Ford Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm having issues with my 3.0 v6.
When you start the car in the morning it starts almost immediately, like it surges a little before starting, then it's a little stable like 10 seconds, after that it starts running like crap, idle fluctuates, engine misfires (not constantly but randomly), after it warms up and the idle goes lower I can feel the engine wanting to die, for example if I'm in Drive when it's misfiring it wants to go forward while the brake is pressed but randomly, half a second it wants to, then it doesn't... etc. I have to mention that in all times the exhaust smells strange (not precisely like fuel smell when you are cranking a car without spark, but a more different and annoying smell) If I press the gas a bit it stabilizes but after releasing it goes back to doing the same thing. Car has ok power when accelerating(better on hot, on cold it feels heavy). I don't think is having a lean misfire because I don't get backfires through the air intake and I don't think a lean misfire would make my exhaust smell funny, on the other side it backfires through on the exhaust, while it's misfiring. KOEO and KOER says 0 codes, but only one for the DPFE (which is broken so no surprise). Compression doing a CF crank sounds very even. No vacuum leaks. I thought about pip sensor but disconnecting the spout makes no difference, I have new cap and rotor. Could it be the TFI?

·
Super Moderator
18,926 Posts
Your smell could be due to partially blocked cats or exhaust which will also cause engine problems .If not that an overcharging alternator can cause " smell " also . You may have other faults apart from these , but many possible other causes .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your smell could be due to partially blocked cats or exhaust which will also cause engine problems .If not that an overcharging alternator can cause " smell " also . You may have other faults apart from these , but many possible other causes .
There's no cat in here, I removed it 5 months ago, the alternator is charging to 14.1 volts

·
Super Moderator
7,632 Posts
You're pretty much correct, forgot about the generation of OBD.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
4 Participants
merpaz_2001
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing