Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day,

Would be interested in modifications that are reasonably cost effective.

Any suggestions will be of interest. The car in question is a XR8 AU-1. From my investigations this is a 200KW motor as it is a 11/99 model. Well that's what I've been told.

Suggestions Guys?

Regards Col

P

·
0 Posts
Same as anything els exhaust,high flo air filter,K,N? Then it starts to get real expensive,Heads yours should be o/k on that model, ported,1:7 "Cobra svo" roller rockers with std cam & change rocker covers or another cam?The usuall stuff.
More timing on high octane fuel,check preignition.Etc?

M

·
0 Posts
G'day Col.

Probably the most cost effective mod you can do, as well as being a mod you should do, is exhaust / extractors. If you've got a series 2, then it's probably ok to keep the stock system. You could always do a cat-back job, and it wouldn't hurt the note either :)

It all depends on how much you've got to spend. Have you got a budget in mind for this mate, or just shopping around?

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
Col, you said you have the 200 KW version I was lead to believe that the 11/99 build date was the 185 KW version. I have a white 07/99 ex chaser 185 KW model myself. Does anyone know otherwise?

·
Copyright �2003
1,517 Posts
Paul,

A question or 2 if I could, keep in mind I'm no mechanic. :)

The heads on a AU2 XR8 are, I believe, GT40p? If you have the base mods u suggested (exhaust, filter etc) does porting make much difference in power?

And I thought that the AU2's had roller rockers already. If so does using the Cobra svo rockers with std cam make much difference?

Thanks Grant

P

·
0 Posts
Porting usually makes a difference when other mods are done,thats when you'd put GOOD valve springs in etc.Depends on budget?Exhaust as others have stated is a good place to start,then all other mods co-ordinate with each other.A thing that doesn't get mentioned too is the efi pump I don't know what has what from eb to au inc G.T?But in U.S Mags they allways state to increase the pump hour rate.[install bigger pump]
If I tweaked another 5Ltr again I would try the 1;7 rockers with good valve gear,alot less hastle esp with your heads the Cobra's1;7 are pedestal mount?.You only have to take the valve cover's off too.Costs mega to replace cam,the heads have to come off for the roller cam followers hit the head and cannot come out to allow removal.Unless you do it yourself?oh radiator,air condensor,bumper etc Hassel.The 1;7s give ya more lift getting the valve open quicker too,so it vertually gives it more duration not much but some,o/k.Yes it does make a difference when all added up.Check out www.performancebrothers.com Mainly Ford or Mustang..Some answers there too.But remember the Mod [ohc]4;6 in latter models..

·
Copyright �2003
1,517 Posts
Thx Paul. You da man :)

K

·
0 Posts
The AU I XR8 was supposed to be a 185kw. AUII from April 2000 was 200kw. Difference? GT40P heads (iron!), roller rockers, lighter pistons, different cam (perhaps EB GT or similar), different headers? They idle differently. Still could do with a lot more grunt though!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
G'day,

Thanks for the info, looks like a set of alloy heads, a decent cam and full exhaust are on the agenda.

I suppose I'm lucky having a flow bench at work and will be able to set the heads up for the best flow.

I've been building racing motorcycle engines for the last 15 years, so this should be an interesting challenge.

Regards Col

S

·
0 Posts
Seems like we go through this question alot..
want to know what engine you have.. check colour of injectors. 200kW will have blue. 185kW orange stocks.

Goodbye <LOL :)

PS: Hey Paul, hows the beast going?

P

·
0 Posts
You may find it hard to believe it sat dirty in the garage till tuesday after Singleton sprint/sorry.. drive,then washed,vacuumed,put in garage with car cover put back over.We have a cat with not many live's left!With big foot prints.Drive work Rodeo v6 through week.Then there is the Rex,but am I allowed to mention that car here?Joking!I would love to port the inlet to heads,I need a porting tool.Then a GOOD efi/dyno tune,think there is more h.p.there.It was after all just bolted together.I guess how els can it be done?But between you and I every time I get the money or think of it something els allways crop's up.I bet I'm not alone there ha?Seen the wheels mag they have a AU on the front cover realy a doorslamer drag car.They actually run down the auto in the Holden.Gees

K

·
0 Posts
Run down a Holden?
The other week came hired a VX Executive (base model)from Syd and drove it to Canberra and back.
(now I remember why I call them 'plastic fantastics' - so plasticy and cheap inside).
Anyway, the only other late models I've driven is an SS VT2 and VX SS. (both quite nice, but steer 'funny' and rear end suspension has its limits). All the way down the highway one had to correct the steering as in cross winds the bloody thing swayed like a jap station wagon or van! Very disappointing!

S

·
0 Posts
Paul,
You want your own porting tool? I think I saw a kit offered at Summit (I think!).

http://store.summitracing.com/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Slim,

Yes the injectors are blue. So it all points to a 200KW late model AU1.

Just got the Alloy heads and will be seting up the seats and new valves as we speak. Once properly flowed I can decide on the cam and exhaust to suit the head.

This is going to be fun.

Regards Col

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Col, what brand Alloy heads did you get?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
G'day Martin,

Sorry for the delay in posting, we have had telstra relaying lines in our street and have been off line for a while.

Edlebrock performer heads are the ones I chose with 1.90" inlet valves. Once finished and the new manifold fitted my black Au should be real fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards Col

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
How much did they cost and what kind of power are you expecting with a cam?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts