Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to make a 2008 sable sho but I'm having a hell of a time doing it no one makes aftermarket parts for either the Taurus or the sable and it's starting to piss me off has any one tried modifying these cars or am I the only one??????

·
Registered
12 Posts
...no one makes aftermarket parts for either the Taurus or the sable....
Are you wasting your time? Yes. Since there are no Ford OEM parts to make the vehicle you want, and since no one makes aftermarket parts for those cars, you will need to put together parts from other vehicles or make them yourself.

You’re starting off with a pretty decent motor, originally rated at 263 hp. If you’re trying to make a fast and nimble vehicle from this, I would hope you have one of the AWD models. I am not as familiar with the newer models (I’m much more knowledgeable with third and fourth generation). What are you thinking of for upgrades? Horsepower? Manual transmission swap? Brakes? Springs and struts? Interior? Body panels like hood, trunk lid, aerodynamics? Appearance items like headlights, grill? Maybe post a few items that you want to do and people might have some ideas and sources.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you wasting your time? Yes. Since there are no Ford OEM parts to make the vehicle you want, and since no one makes aftermarket parts for those cars, you will need to put together parts from other vehicles or make them yourself.

You’re starting off with a pretty decent motor, originally rated at 263 hp. If you’re trying to make a fast and nimble vehicle from this, I would hope you have one of the AWD models. I am not as familiar with the newer models (I’m much more knowledgeable with third and fourth generation). What are you thinking of for upgrades? Horsepower? Manual transmission swap? Brakes? Springs and struts? Interior? Body panels like hood, trunk lid, aerodynamics? Appearance items like headlights, grill? Maybe post a few items that you want to do and people might have some ideas and sources.

Well I'm going to turbo it I'm just broke so I can't get the forged pistons cams valves and crank made yet so I'm wanting to know if any other ford has the same parts

·
Super Moderator
9,196 Posts
Wellll....the 2008 Sable came with a 3.5L Cyclone engine... same block they used for the 3.5L EcoBoost. How adventurous do you want to get?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wellll....the 2008 Sable came with a 3.5L Cyclone engine... same block they used for the 3.5L EcoBoost. How adventurous do you want to get?
I have a 82mm turbo from a cummins and I know they are the same block but are the pistons the same the valves the cams and crank

·
Super Moderator
9,196 Posts
There you have me. There is a difference in the part numbers between a naturally aspirated 3.5 in 2014 (which had an EcoBoost option for that engine) and the 2008. But I got you that far, maybe you can get the dimensions of the pistons and see if they are compatible in dimensions. If they are, displacement is bore and stroke, if they are the same width, the crank will have the same swing. It'll take some research to get it right, though. The naturally aspirated 3.5 will likely have a higher compression ratio than the boosted version, which means that, even if the parts fit in the hole, you will still need to be concerned with valve clearance.

On the flip side, if you just stick the turbo on it, you will probably want to lower the compression ratio regardless if you change the rotating gear or keep the original.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There you have me. There is a difference in the part numbers between a naturally aspirated 3.5 in 2014 (which had an EcoBoost option for that engine) and the 2008. But I got you that far, maybe you can get the dimensions of the pistons and see if they are compatible in dimensions. If they are, displacement is bore and stroke, if they are the same width, the crank will have the same swing. It'll take some research to get it right, though. The naturally aspirated 3.5 will likely have a higher compression ratio than the boosted version, which means that, even if the parts fit in the hole, you will still need to be concerned with valve clearance.

On the flip side, if you just stick the turbo on it, you will probably want to lower the compression ratio regardless if you change the rotating gear or keep the original.
At that point, with all of the trouble to go through, I would probably look for a low mileage engine from a car that was rear ended or T-boned. You are likely going to lose a lot of durability and longevity adding a turbo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts