Ford Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Big Motor Top Loader !!
284 Posts
TruBlu351 said:
All your aftermarket cells don't have the return lines submerged in the fuel. They just have an 8AN fitting in the top of the cell and it just squirts in :hy: When I only have a few litres of fuel in mine it sounds like a waterfall! Most cells will have foam in there too which helps it to settle down.

I know those BG pumps are a little different as the return line is on the actual pump instead of the reg in the engine bay....but I have a concern with running a smaller 3/8 return line than the 1/2" main feed....as per Mallory specs. Most return lines are at least the same size to avoid any back pressure. Does BG say thats OK?

Does your pump cavitate (suck air) with a full tank or close to empty? Mine does when under brakes with an almost empty tank as I have a rear pickup.

I had to get a rego tag welded to my RCI fuel cell to make it legal.....and had to get it chemically cleaned with a certificate saying it was fuel free....about 80 freakin bucks.

Slap one of these puppies in :hehe:
It looks like you have (2) vents, one standard RCI rollover vent, and the other next to the filler tube?

Where have you got your rollover vent plumbed to, alluminum or steel line?
i'm after some of this line for my other taxi, where can i buy?

I was filling up my RCI fuel cell one day and after i had finished and replaced the cap, i heard the rollover ball going spastic.. fuel started pouring out of the rollover vent line which was plumbed with -8 line to under the car.

I may have filled it too high, as car was on a slight angle leaning towards rollover vent. At least 5 litres or more came out until i opened the cap and rolled the car to level ground!!

Whats even more wierd, is i extended this line and gave it a few coils along the way to outside the car... it still seeps a little fuel here and there.. WTF?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
xrgt said:
It looks like you have (2) vents, one standard RCI rollover vent, and the other next to the filler tube?

Where have you got your rollover vent plumbed to, alluminum or steel line?
i'm after some of this line for my other taxi, where can i buy?

I was filling up my RCI fuel cell one day and after i had finished and replaced the cap, i heard the rollover ball going spastic.. fuel started pouring out of the rollover vent line which was plumbed with -8 line to under the car.

I may have filled it too high, as car was on a slight angle leaning towards rollover vent. At least 5 litres or more came out until i opened the cap and rolled the car to level ground!!

Whats even more wierd, is i extended this line and gave it a few coils along the way to outside the car... it still seeps a little fuel here and there.. WTF?
The two 8AN fittings on top at the back of the fuel cell: One is the ball bearing fuel vent which I plumbed into my charcoal cannister (I would have just kept it under the car ABOVE the fuel cell with some sort of filter clamped to the hose on an earlier model car) and the other is the fuel return line from my bypass regulator. I used 1/2" aluminium fuel line, readily available at most speed shops and is quite cheap. You'll need some "tube nuts" and a flare tool and a 1/2" pipe bender which I didn't have so you can see my bends are woeful. I bought a 20ft roll and aside from the little bits of steel braided hose, the aluminium lines run up and back from the engine bay.

The other clear plastic hose you see mounted with my main filler hose is an after market weld in job. I got a section of 1/2" aluminium tube welded into the top of the cell and the clear hose runs to the top of the filler neck. It's purpose is to vent the air out of the fuel cell when I fill it up. This stops splash back out of the main filler cap (all modern cars have this setup), but is sealed when I put my fuel cap on, so it doesn't serve as a vent under normal expansion with heat etc. I only put that massive black hose on to keep it legal as internal filler caps aren't allowed.

I actually refill my car with the boot lid up!! I only normally put 50 or so litres in (70 total). But if I wanted to fill it, if it starts bubbling at the base of my clear hose, I know its full. I wouldn't fill it all the way until the filler neck is full as you know, it will come out of the vent line and I'm not sure how the regulator return line would work pushing fuel into a full tank.

Again, I'd make the vent exit higher than the fuel cell if possible to stop leakage.

·
82XE 351c
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
from what I understand, the standard canister works by;

There is one venting line from the pickup, 1 venting line from the fillter tube. Both go up to the canister in the engine bay. The canister then has 1 line to the carb (if used) that is used to burn the fumes contained in the canister.
The canister also has a drain line in the bottom not terminated...

Does the standard tank also have just a breather or is it all just venting to the canister? So the only air inlet on the standard setup is the fuel cap then...?

Because the others vent, not inlet, i am assuming they are not as important. As i am pretty sure this is only done to stop fuel evaporation as the fuel pressure is pushed in the canister and burned via the canister-to-carb line..

Therefore the only thing inletting air is the fuel cap i think?

therefore, i should be able to cancel out the canister, live with a little fuel evaporation and that gives me a couple spare tank inputs?
I could use the old breather on the sender which is actually a venting spot as a breather. Also one of the lines back at the filler as a breather..

I was hoping I could use the fuel sender unit as the pickup and return line, Get the proper cap that inlets air, Cut the venting line which runs from the filler tube to the canister and turn that into a 1/2" breather for the tank...

I would than have 1x 1/2" breather.. 11mm pickup for the moment and a small 6mm return... As the plastic welding seems to be a hassle for anyone i ask..

do you guys give this much chance of working? the breather is larger than the pickup, the current pickup works until a vacume in the tank is created so it is big enough initially....

cheers all!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
The standard breather off the pickup goes into the boot and up a large diameter clear tubing on the passenger side above the wheel arch(in boot)

·
82XE 351c
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
xdclevo said:
The standard breather off the pickup goes into the boot and up a large diameter clear tubing on the passenger side above the wheel arch(in boot)

thankyou thats handy info... though from the diagrams i see for xe's in gregories manuals i think the sender return is going to the canister.

though i will still hav a good look, Is the clear tube in the boot or between the boot and the outter guard?
where should i look for it? i just want to know if the return on the sender was only venter or breathing...
cheers

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I am going off my XD, but i assumed the same in XE. I have seen the clear tubing in my XD for 15 years, and never knew what was in it, till i redid my breather a few months ago. It enters the boot from the left wheel well, and runs up to the top of the boot, and is easily seen. ( I hope XEs have them too, or i've been jibbering for nothing:beerbottl )

·
82XE 351c
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
ok i went looking a got myself a 2nd hand sender to modify. I ended up going one that had a in-tank pump attached. I got the sender for $10 and just cut all the old gear off the bottom so all i was left with was the top cap that seals the tank. Covered the holes that were left with little copper disks and then tapped some new pipes...

I now have a 5/8" pickup in the middle of the cap, this goes into the tank about 25cm and then i use an efi sock.
Also i now have a 1/2" return just off to the side of the pickup and a 1/2" breather which will be coming straight out of pipe and around to the wheel arch.
Also the standard breather is hooked up at the filler tube...
I got the propper fuel cap also, i did have the incorrect cap.

So for the breather line, run a 1/2 hose straight from there across to open space, run a couple loops and the install a air filter thingy at the end in up right pos? will that do....

cheers all :)

hopefully be on the road this weekend

·
Registered
1 Posts
I run a 1/2 line and 3/8 breather in my XD pickup. I devcon'd it in so i didn't hurt the electric sender, and used an EFI 1/2 filter, which is also devonned on :priest: (i love devcon if you havnt guessed)
I did it myself, so must be easy :hy:

Did you just change it the whole way through with new pipe cut out the old ?

·
Super Moderator
22,249 Posts
Post is 15yrs old and member you are asking has not been on forum for over 6 yrs .

21 - 29 of 29 Posts