Ford Forums banner

Will ford be able to throw anything at the Monaro?

• YES

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • NO

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • HELL NO

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • NOT SURE

Votes: 11 28.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as I hate it, it's gonna kill the Mustang and any other Ford 2 Door FMC Aus will throw at it:(
Dunno yet if Spyman (seen here on FF regualary) caught the pic.
And the place I got it says theres a leterbox bonet, not looking good...:( :( :(

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
priteshpatel99 said:
As much as I hate it, it's gonna kill the Mustang and any other Ford 2 Door FMC Aus will throw at it:(
What makes you say that? How do you know this? (Hint hint..)

·
Australian TE50 AU1 Member
194 Posts
Have you checked out the HSV Coupe pics in this months MOtor?, no doubt about it, they are going to be very popular cars. Ford are going to have to come up with something very special to attract buyers away from the Holdens. I think it's going to have to be something other than an AU shape, it's too ugly in the minds of too many. The AV can't come soon enough, I hope there's a sketch of a Ford AV coupe on some designers drawing board, ready to become a reality.

·
194 Posts
HSE2 said:
Sure the coupe is going to enjoy a Honeymoon period but do you think the sales will be sustainable?
Good point, I suppose you have to ask who will be buying these cars?, GTS owners?. As Ford doesn't have anything around the same price, we won't be losing any current customers.

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Ok let's have a look at the facts - it's gonna have either the asthmatic S/C V6 (silly silly option), the 255kW HSV V8 (the majority option), and the 300kW GTS donk (the rare option). Chances are it's gonna be heavier than the sedan for obvious reasons, so that won't bode well for the hard-core enthusiasts.

I am optimistic about the whole thing, it doesn't bother me that much. It could well turn out to be an overpriced, overweight, overrated piece of equipment!

·
194 Posts
I like your optimism el2xr8, we should fear no evil. I reckon if it's not 300kw the LS1 boys will be dissapointed, all the looks and no go equals embarrassment plus!!.

·
Owner Of Tommy Turbo
272 Posts
I think with alot of XR8 and SS customers being family men after a powerful sedan, the coupe won't get as many customers as many people think. Im not saying they won't sell any, they'll sell heaps. As in 300kw GTS heaps. Mustang heaps. T-Series falcon heaps. At the end of the day, wether its got 2, 4 or 6 doors(ok, maybe not 6) Ford needs to worry about the power battle thats its losing rather than piss fart around trying to compete with Holdens 2 door project. Better to fight 1 battle and win, than to fight 2 battles and lose.

·
RACE
2,950 Posts
At the end of the day most HSV owners would probably prefer 4 doors anyway. Australia is not known to be a lover of coupes (unless it's a Celica or Prelude), especially expensive ones.

I agree HSE2, that in the long run I don't think sales of the Coupe will be maintained at a high level. Holden are probably more concerned about building Executive sedans etc than coupes.

·
Early Ford Member
277 Posts
In the 70's Ford didn't have a coupe, but the 4 door GT did the job well enough. I think the company is worried about sales. They invested HEAPS into the XA-XC, and compared to the no. sold, they probably regarded these coupes as a failure (they still look pretty horney though!). But I s'pose this was only a few years after the XW-XY GT's so people hadn't moved on yet. Just guessing...

·
Interloper from LS1.com
768 Posts
el2xr8 said:
Ok let's have a look at the facts - it's gonna have either the asthmatic S/C V6 (silly silly option), the 255kW HSV V8 (the majority option), and the 300kW GTS donk (the rare option). Chances are it's gonna be heavier than the sedan for obvious reasons, so that won't bode well for the hard-core enthusiasts.

I am optimistic about the whole thing, it doesn't bother me that much. It could well turn out to be an overpriced, overweight, overrated piece of equipment!
Two Holden Monaro models are CV6 (S/C V6) and CV8 (225kw LS1).

The two HSV models are Coupe GTO (255kw LS1) and Coupe GTS (300kw C4B).

Have heard that engineers inside Holden have quoted 250kg lighter than sedan but can't see how that much can be saved - especially as all models have lots of fruit.

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Brendan said:

Two Holden Monaro models are CV6 (S/C V6) and CV8 (225kw LS1).

The two HSV models are Coupe GTO (255kw LS1) and Coupe GTS (300kw C4B).

Have heard that engineers inside Holden have quoted 250kg lighter than sedan but can't see how that much can be saved - especially as all models have lots of fruit.
Exactly right mate! Doesn't make a lot of sense, and unless they have suddenly decided to use fibreglass panels, I can't see it happening..

Yeah forgot about the "base" model 8.. :cool:

Haven't Holden promised that the coupe will be their best handling car EVER though??

·
Ford Member
1,054 Posts
I agree that there is no doubt about alot of sales initially but its down the track that remains to be seen. It would be impossible for a well equiped Monaro to turn up much lighter than a sedan without costing an absoulote packet due to maximum re- engineering. Sedans just like years ago will always be more popular and if Ford can make a T Series at the right price that has the power to beat the 255 Sedan and Coupe then i agree that should be enough to excuse Ford from not having a Coupe below 80k. It would then be great to see the GTHO blow the 300 away and the Stang get a tickle.

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
There will be initial interest and sales but like HSE has said all along I highly doubt it's sustainable. Holden have said themselves that Monaro will not be a profitable car but an image car. All I can say is get the T's, XR's right and they should take care of the Monaro.
Just remember that there are a lot of Ford folks driving around in HSV's because Ford has had no alternate up until now. The right product mix will win the day. I just hope the right product mix wears a blue oval on the hood..

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
The coupe might have a future as an export, but long term I don't think our life style lends too well to two doors.

Put it this way. An associate of mine has just got himself a VXGTS, and there is no way in hell I would walk past his car to get to a two door.

Personal taste, but I just think the four doors look better balanced when based on a four door platform to start with and are a dam sight more practical.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
I think Holden deserve credit for producing what is a damn fine looking car. I think it will do very well indeed. Well done Holden!

Having said that, wouldn't it be nice if Ford............

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
Nothing stopping you from sending your car to the Hillier boys, after Rob/Jeff finish sorting your engine.

·
194 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
I think Holden deserve credit for producing what is a damn fine looking car. I think it will do very well indeed. Well done Holden!

I tend to agree with Pete, I think Holden will get a lot of mileage from the Coupe, even though the sales figures might not be too high. It's an image thing, front page news, Holden does it again!, what's Ford doing???. Hopefully they will get their advertising act together and really sell the TE stroker when the Coupe arrives.

·
Ford Member
1,156 Posts
I think Holden will make the coupe sustainable.

Firstly, what coupes are there? Sure there are some small ones, most are FWD hatchbacks, thats fine if your into that. In the 70's everyone had a big coupe, now there are none.

Holden looks like exporting them. Middle East will nodoubt take the bront, proberly 10,000 alone. Then there is New Zealand, apparently I have heard they are going to be sold in england too not just HSV's either, but the regular holdens too, say another 3 thousand there, Brazil will be getting a few, maybe 1000 there, continential europe is looking at getting some, depending on the acceptance, 500-5000.

Plus local demand, which will be pretty strong. Perhaps some sales in Canada and Mexico.

Looks sustainable to me.. Not a sales explosion, but comfortable enough. With the death of the F-bodies, the coupe will fill those sales outside the USA.

I can see why ford won't bother with the coupe. You should only make coupes if you get the basic four doors right. Ford hasn't done that yet. When the AV arrives, Ford will be trying desperately to recover the R&D so strongly doubt they will make a coupe.

I would rather the AV be perfect than crappy but with a two door model. Maybe after the AV they can think about a coupe, but it will have to pitch a diffrent market than the Mustang.

I don't think Ford should follow holden on this one. Instead of making a coupe they should do something diffrent. What that is I can't say, maybe its putting that V10 into a LTD and making the super luxobarge and selling them to the middle east. Maybe its something else...

If ford made a coupe it would kill the market. The whole idea is to make more money, and price wars will kill it. They should go something else and own that part of the market.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Firstly who's to say that the coupe will look good in 3 years time.

The coupe comes at the end of the VT/VX life. Before I go patting them on the back for a job well done I would be far more intersted in seeing what they have up their sleeve.

Designing the coupe on the VT platform was never going to be a problem. Lets see the next model.

Holden aren't a stupid company, so one would hope that they have the numbers to back up four models of a coupe variant.

The big coupe died for very good reasons. Those reasons are still there today as far as I can see.
Yes there may be an export market but that is not HERE and that is what I am saying. There is no way in hell four models of coupe will be sustainable. A coupe is one of the hardest designs to get to look right. The VT is the perect example of a design that works. Getting future base model platforms to lend themselves to coupe conversions is going to be interesting to watch.

Do Holden deserve credit. Yes but no more than I have said in the passed. The VT design by and by deservers credit. The price structure deserves credit and the use of the LS1 deserves credit.

Credit for the coupe will have to wait a few years for me

1 - 20 of 70 Posts