Ford Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Ford Taurus SE With a 3.0 Vulcan engine. Ford clocks it at having 155 Horsepower. My question is, can u get more horsepower out of it besides just replacing the Air Filter with a K&N? Would I have to get a chip or do drastic mods on it?? I would like 250 LOL MY friend and I wanna race so 250 would be nice LOL (Legal racing though)

THx

·
Registered
20 Posts
well if you want more horse power get the racing chip and buy a cold air intake. that will get you to about 170-180hp. but otherwise get an SHO! :driver: THEN YOU WILL DEFINETLY BEAT HIM! lol but do a cold air intake, that helps alot.

·
Registered
288 Posts
a chip and an intake will not get you 170-180 hp. It might get you 165 if you're lucky.

Most chips are crap, the only brand I recommend is diablosport.

The only way you're going to get close to 250 hp on your taurus is with nitrous.

IF you plan on racing your vulcan I highly recommend getting an aftermarket transmission cooler. Racing a taurus without one is transmission death within a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks 4 telling me before I raced!!! I would not like to have to buy a new tranny. Do u think it would be worth it to buy one or should I get some other car that would be suited for racing??

LOL Nitrous!! I'd have to mod the whole engine then!! would I not?

·
Registered
288 Posts
the stock engine can handle a 50 shot of nitrous safely.

It doesn't work like in those crappy movies.

Transmission coolers only cost like $50 and are worth it if you plan on keeping the car for any length of time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you want that much more power out of a Vulcan, you're going to need Nitrous and or a turbo. And then with the stock engine internals, don't expect it to last long. If you want more than 1 horsepower per cubic inch, you need to seriously beef up the insides of the motor as well. Forged crank and rods, hyper or forged pistons. Lots of head porting and a bigger cam, High flowing intake and exhaust. Get ready to drop a LOT of money into it if you want it to be reliable. Better idea is to get a Duratec or SHO car.

To get the most out of a Vulcan without sacrificing reliability, just maintain it real well, put on a set of spiral core wires and double-plat plugs, keep the air filter and injectors clean, and maybe, maybe, a custom freer flowing exhaust. A muffler shop can probably install something from the cats back that uses 2-1/4 or 2-1/2 inch pipe. discard the resonator and replace the stock muffler with a Magnaflow. I do think the stock 2" exhaust on Taurus is somewhat restrictive. No worries about leaning out the engine, the lean condition from reduced backpressure will be detected by the O2 sensors and then the ECU will command a higher duty cycle on the injectors to bring the ratio back into spec.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Guitaman132 said:
What is the stock Horsepower on the 99 SHO"s and the duratecs???
The '99 V8 SHO gets 235 hp and 230 lb-ft. of torque. That's stock.

My dad got a '99 SHO about a year ago, and he loves it (so do I :driver: ) It's fast, and trust me if you're gonna be racing your friend you want the SHO. Red-lining it, it dosn't shift into 2nd until you're going 50mph, and it get's there pretty fast, too!

Intake Design and Imporvement

This is an older website, but it's got a lot of good information about the SHOs. They say that dyno testing it gave them a 12-23 hp increase w/o an air filter, compared to w/ the stock filter. So if you get a high flow air filter, you could be looking at a good 8-10 hp increase, which would put you pretty close to your 250 hp goal.

btw, my dad bought his from a used car dealer for about 3,500. Not that much. It's in good shape, and runs great. It's had the tranny replaced, the cams re-welded, and we're getting readdy to have the brakes redone. not unusual for a used, 7-year old car, but well worth it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My friend has a Nissan Maxima, He claims he is gonna do some upgrades for it. I think he's full of shit. Can my taurus take a Maxima? it is an older one, I don't know the year for sure

·
Registered
288 Posts
unless the Maxima is from the 80's or extremely early 90's, it is probably faster than your taurus.

The Duratec comes with 200 hp since you asked that and it hasn't been answered yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
ya i tried taking off the air silencer on my 96 and i found out that it like extended into the front bumper and just decided to leave it, other that any thing performance wise i havnt done nething, but any auto parts stores has glasspack mufflers that are basically just mufflers that run straight thru. i dont kno if u would want to take the time to do that but i think they are only like $20 bucks each and would give you a few more hp

·
Registered
288 Posts
mufflers make a much bigger difference if you open up the intake as well.

The fact that the silencer is so big is why it restrains the performance so much.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the advice. I am thinking about putting an SHO engine in it, would I have any more luck at beating the maxima with that? By the way I believe the maxima is a '92

·
Registered
288 Posts
you'd have better luck, but the swap will cost you several thousand dollars when you can almost definitely sell your car and buy an SHO for that.

·
1,836 Posts
Dr. Disque said:
you'd have better luck, but the swap will cost you several thousand dollars when you can almost definitely sell your car and buy an SHO for that.
Ditto.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts