Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, this car should be put to rest, but I literally can't do it. I live in a city with no public transportation, no family, no friends really, and catching a taxi is almost impossible and hours wait, not to mention costing almost $20 to go 2.5 miles. I am physically disabled, I mention these things because they are reasons that I have kept this car. Plus I don't have money to purchase a broken down car for 4 times their worth.

So steering is much better, but kind of stiff/slow, hard to explain, still get some creaking, which had actually stopped for a few days after the last repair.

So on to something new, well three things new, that literally happened after the last repair, all at the same time.

First: Awful smell when the heat is on, sometimes.

Second: a whistling noise when I step on the gas, but not if I'm light, and not if I am full, kind of when I'm in the middle, not a high pitched whistle, more like a low WOOOOO.

Third: heard a rattling in the engine, on the drivers side. I have heard this before with a previous car long, long ago, can't remember what it was, but I didn't have the car long after that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just wanted to add, today I had to step on the gas harder and the whistling got really loud and high pitched. I'm guessing it's the engine

·
Super Moderator
19,430 Posts
Cant remember all that was done on this vehicle or vehicle details , but a whistle can be caused by vac leak , inlet manifold / gasket , blocked exhaust or cat to name a few possibilities .

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The biggest issue I was having was the power steering pump, which after the third replacement was quiet, for a few days, now it just creaks really bad, can't find anything with the R&P, but maybe something in the suspension.

There is a vacuum leak, no one can find it, in about 6+ years. I have been to many mechanics, I have asked some to find it, I have paid for some to find it, I've had many tell me I have a leak and that they tried to find it on their own, but couldn't, smoke tests have been done.

The whistling reminds me of a leak, but also feels like a strain, and if I keep it up, will pop and die, I don't drive on the highway and it seems if i go over 45 that's when it happens. This literally just starting happening the last couple days.

The car wants to stall in idle or at stops, it also surges, sometimes really hard, recent tune-up, like 3-4 months ago, fluids all good.

I do have an issue with the 02 sensor bank 2 sensor 2, I had an issue with this before, took a long time to get it fixed right, however car ran the same before and after. It happened when I had someone clean out the MAS, I mistakenly agreed for it to be done again a couple years later with a different mechanic, light came on immediately, I haven't fixed it, because the last time it didn't make any difference.

There is a lot going on, but it's all at once, not sure if they are all for a common reason, or just everything failing at once.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
" now it just creaks really bad "

Remember now . You ever get the steering column intermediate joint checked as suggested a few times with no answer ?
When I looked that up I don't have those symptoms, the creaking in coming from the tire area.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took my car to the mechanic to check the brake pads to make sure they will pass inspection, they were fine. But they found something else, the exhaust system, all needed replacement from the cat (not the cat, the hose) on down, there was a hole in the tailpipe and the seam on one side of the muffler is unsealing, but it's still sealed on the inside and no leaks. They wanted $400 and said it would fail if I didn't replace the whole thing. These guys are actually expensive but the job was less than anyone else int he area, so I was going to do it. Then I thought, let me get a second opinion, they said the pipes were good, except the tailpipe, they were right about the muffler but it didn't need repair immediately or to pass. Anyway, long story short, the tailpipe was replaced, well the end of it where the hole was, car passed inspection and it cost $70. Oh, and the whistling noise is gone. Still have to replace the muffler, (not the pipes connected) soon.

These guys also said that I need a new ignition coil, $345, but can get it done for $130 elsewhere. When I read up on the symptoms it made sense, but another mechanic said that wouldn't be causing the symptoms, that it would be the 02 sensor, maybe it's both.

I had actually replaced that sensor, it took a few times before it actually worked, but the symptoms never went away, which is why I don't fix it again. The engine light went on for it when they sprayed the fuel injector, which incidentally the same thing happened the first time the light went on.

Well, both those things could be the issue, and the engine is still loud

1 - 8 of 8 Posts