Ford Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Formerly EAII_Fairmont
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I HATE T5's!!!!!!!! This is the second one that I've had problems with! The one in my EA died completely, now the one in my EB is acting up. I love the way the car performs with the T5, but I'm just not having any luck reliability wise!

It's making a strange noise in first gear. It only makes it at low speeds and it seems to go away after about 20-30km/h. All other gears seem fine. It's sort of like a dull clicking/thumping noise. And by dull, I mean if the radio is on, but not loud I can't here it. It gets the noise gets faster as I speed up, but then goes away. It's only just recently started doing it, it doesn't seem to be getting any worse, but it's not getting any better. I can't feel it grabbing or anything, so hopefully it won't die completely on me until I can afford to get it fixed. I think it may be a bearing or something, but is there any bearings in the box that only operate in first gear???

Hopefully someone can shed some light on my problem. Maybe an oil change would help? Although, it was changed about a month ago.

I am really starting to lose faith in my car! I love it to bits, but maybe I might have to consider something smaller :(

·
Formerly EAII_Fairmont
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On further investigation, I think it is making the noise in all gears, it just gets to quick to hear. It's starting to become noticeable in second and can vaguely be heard in third if i put a screwdriver on the gearstick and listen to the end of it.

THIS IS NOT GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate my car at the moment!

I think it could be the bearings as it's not really a grinding noise and it can't be felt at all. And I know from experience (when the T5 in my EA decided to eat a few teeth off the layshaft) that damaged gears make much more violent noises and can be felt grabbing. Any ideas peoples?

·
Ford Veteran
685 Posts
Sounds to me like you could have a chipped tooth, especially if its mostly just 1st,2nd,3rd... probably 3rd gear is chipped. If there is no noise in 4th or 5th it would be gear related (probably chipped tooth as i said in 3rd or maybe 1,2). If it gets worse and starts banging in one gear in particular then you probably won't have much time before you need to replace or recondition the T5.

Take it for a test drive without the stereo on and quiet road, see which gears you can hear the noise in, check 4th and 5th gears also at low-mid revs.

·
Formerly EAII_Fairmont
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the noise is there all the time though. It's just that when it's in higher gears what ever is making the noise is spinning fast enough to make it sound like one continuous sound. Whatever's wrong with it, it means I have to pull the bloody thing out and strip it down!

·
Ford Veteran
685 Posts
If you are in 4th/5th gear and driving on a fairly quiet road at 1500-2500 rpm you should easily be able to hear the noise if there is any.

·
Formerly EAII_Fairmont
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope, no noise at all in 4th or 5th. Only in first or second. In third it can only be heard through a screwdriver, but I don't even know if it is the same noise, its too hard to tell.

·
Formerly EAII_Fairmont
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I mean like if I put a screwdriver on the end of the gearstick and listen through it.

·
Ford Veteran
685 Posts
I hope your T5 goes ok and that this is nothing to worry about, I had a lot of problems with my T5. Had a problem similar to what you described, started out in 3rd gear and then got louder in 1st and 2nd also , then it was banging in 3rd gear and couldn't use it at all without fear of it dying. 4th and 5th were always quiet. When I had the box recoed 3rd was badly chipped (had 3-4 teeth missing), 1st , 2nd gears were fine but you still hear it in those gears also because they're connected. Do you hear it in idle also. except for when you put the clutch in ?

·
Formerly EAII_Fairmont
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think your argument is starting to sound somewhat convincing :(

No the noise isn't apparent at idle at all. I do have another stuffed T5 in the shed, with the same problem as my old box had. So if worst comes to worst I have some spares for it, but I'm not real confident at doing the work myself.

·
oh no! I've gone ford mad
134 Posts
EAII_Fairmont.... I feel your pain! My T5 does the EXACT same thing.... shite my G/box is on the way out..... better get a new one! or I've got a toploader in the back shed.... hmmmm

Craig

1 - 11 of 11 Posts