Ford Forums banner

More Transmission problems

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Big Block Ford 
#1 ·
in 5th and in neutral, I was hear what sort of sound like wind noise coming from the transmission. When in neutral, I can move the shifter to one side, and hold it there, and the noise stops, and while in 5th, there isn't anything that I can do, except for downshifting to 4th, and live with the engine revving at around 3,500 @ 70 mph or so... Can you possibly tell me what this is? Thank you

G
#2 ·
The noises / rattles you have posted - SEVERAL TIMES- lead me to thing there is an installation problem. What is the condition of your clutch - any broken springs? You spoke of rattle with the air on- is this just sitting ? Is the idle speed ok? on a 4 banger anything much lower than 1000rpm is going to cause rattles in th exhaust/ trans. What kind of shifter do you have? Aftermarket shifters are notorious for producing noise complaints. How about the body boot- covers the hole in the floor- under the car holes/ tears= noise. Same goes for the trim boot at the shifter handle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.