1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Ford Focus WRC Driver.
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From World Rally News
http://www.worldrallynews.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1003746712,29526,

October 22, 2001
Former Monte Carlo Rally winner Francois Delecour is being chased by at least three works teams for 2002 and will leave Ford after the Rally Australia in a fortnight's time.

Delecour's career was resurrected by Ford this year when he was dumped by Peugeot, but he has been unable to agree terms for next season with Ford chief Malcolm Wilson. Consistently good results have raised his stock and he is contemplating big-money offers from Hyundai, Mitsubishi and Citroen.

"I had a good discussion with Malcolm. It was financial reason. It is exciting, but it is not easy," Delecour said.

Mark Higgins will drive the third Focus in his place in Britain, but Estonian Markko Martin, who currently drives for Subaru, is expected to get the drive next season.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
That is a real shame. Anyone remember the article in Motor I think it was, with Delecour driving the RS Focus:(

·
Shhh, we're hunting Lions
1,610 Posts
I think the article was in wheels (black Focus RS), it was a good read.
Going by the 3 options he has how could you pass up Mitsubishi. Hyundai have shown hardly anything since joining the WRC, Citroen are good on the Tarmac rallies but rarely contest others whilst Mitsubishi has been very sucessful over the last 5 years.

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
Bugger.. :( Delecour had a bit to do with the set up of the Focus RS so it'll be a loss for Ford for sure. Lets hope Carlos stays for next year..

·
Ford Focus WRC Driver.
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Adam W said:
I think the article was in wheels (black Focus RS), it was a good read.
Going by the 3 options he has how could you pass up Mitsubishi. Hyundai have shown hardly anything since joining the WRC, Citroen are good on the Tarmac rallies but rarely contest others whilst Mitsubishi has been very sucessful over the last 5 years.
Hopefully, they're competitive. It's just that they've just introduced their new car and for Makinnen to leave, it seems like the car didn't impress him at all. It's because of an inferior car that he didn't win last year.....even though he was always in contention which in a damn miracle considering the HUGE steps the other cars had taken ie. Subaru and Peugeot. Makinnen is just such a natural talent...you just have to watch him in action!

Hey, did anyone watch the coverage of San Remo rally last Sunday? The clip where it showed Delecour eye-view of the track with mist everywhere??!! He was driving (on wet tarmac mind you) at 120km/h, turning and hand-braking all over the place with ONLY 13m OF VISIBILITY in front of him! I was in absolute awe of the guy!!!! So sad he's leaving! But if Markko Martin comes into the 3rd next year, I'll be a little less sad!

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
damn! I saw it coming though. I knew it was a matter of time before someone was gunna try and nabble one of fords Drivers. I just hope Mcrae and sainz stays.:(

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Cobra said:
damn! I saw it coming though. I knew it was a matter of time before someone was gunna try and nabble one of fords Drivers. I just hope Mcrae and sainz stays.:(
I second that. :D Would be real nice to see calos do well actually

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
Carlos is doing well sint he? last time i checked he was 3rd in the championship? Anyways I reckon this year Ford will take out both drivers and manufacturers title as Mcrae looks set to win and ford are killing them in points in manufacturers.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Cobra said:
Carlos is doing well sint he? last time i checked he was 3rd in the championship? Anyways I reckon this year Ford will take out both drivers and manufacturers title as Mcrae looks set to win and ford are killing them in points in manufacturers.
Yeah he is. Colin this year and Carlos next would make me happy, although Colin would probably say something different!

·
100% Speeding (when safe)
471 Posts
I saw the San Remo rally footage on TV. I thought it was amazing too. (the fog driving). This is the true driving class. there is nothing better. How about all the crashes!!

I think it would be easy (relatively) for someone to hop in a F1 car and do resonably well, compared to someone hopping into a WRC car and do well.

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
Yeah I reckon that a Rally Driver would make an awesome f1 driver. Well i reckon tommi makinen would do better in the ferrari than schumacher in the mitsubishi. Still Colin Mcrae will win in Perth and wrap up the drivers and manufacturers championship for ford.

·
Shhh, we're hunting Lions
1,610 Posts
Not looking good for the manufacturers championship with 3 Peugeots in the to 4 and McRae is only 5th. Depending on Peugeots points setup they could have a lead of between 4 to 8 points with only one rally left. :dead:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts