Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Forever Ford Follower
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know when the next Motor is due to be released? Just curious and trying to think what they will write about for this month.. I can't really think of any "big news" that's happened recently except for Prodrive and Tickford -- Any comments?

·
Bring Back the 24hr!!!
5,809 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if they have a scoop or two about the Falc or Commodore in there but @ the same time, don't quote me on that.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,542 Posts
Me thinks, well i hope actually there will be a 220kw falcon vs commo ss, but judging by the time it takes petes car to be built we might see it next issue, damn:WH: :WH:

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Let's not forget they've got a writeup on a 300kW NA Falcon in there! Made by some mob up here on the Gold Coast. I'm not absolutely certain, but I believe it has a stroker kit of some description, perhaps a 347. Tried to get in touch with them, but I think after Motor gave out their number, they probably disconnected it! :eek:

AFAIK it's based on a Fairmont or Ghia V8...

·
EL Fairmont Ghia Member
190 Posts
I subscribe to motor, top magazine. I think a fair magazine, unlike wheels magazine which is not good enough to wipe ones......on.

Jas

Last months issue was interesting, that herrods ute, they should have stuck a 3:73 diff in it, then timed it on the quarter........

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,542 Posts
VilkasMaximus,

The problem with the herrod ute was at the time of testing the limiter has been set to the ford default of 5500rpm, but the Herrod ute could rev out till 6800rpm, since the test they have re-calibrated the no go zone. They said the engine just comes on song at 5500 so ultimately you want redline to be 6100rpm something.
Then we'll see how fast the herrod ute really is, i think the ute doesn't need a shorter diff.

250kw out of that ute, if unleashed should be lineball with clubbie ute

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
There are a few things that don't add up with that Herrod ute story. I have been told that Herrod would not raise the limit because the engine would not stand that much rpm and that came from someone close to herrod. Then when you read the specs the engine needed 5800 for max power.
:confused:

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
GT351 said:
So why would they use a cam that peaks too high:?:
Good question. Why would you also raise the limit that far over what the motor uses. Like I said nothing about that ute story made a whole lot of sence.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
The first 220kW XRs started body build when I was in Melbourne on Friday. They should start turning up at Tickford Tuesday/Wednesday this week. However, it may be the case that Ford built a pilot/press car for the mags.

A little birdie (okay - Mr Flint) says they have verified the times of 220 XR8 vs VX SS and the Ford has the Commos measure up to 160km/h. So, looks like we be whipping the Commo boys from now on. Of course there's always the factor of the goobers Motor have driving the cars to contend with.....

·
Ford Member
1,054 Posts
Got my Motor today. Features some scoop pics of a silver Monaro :wink2: . Motor says when it arrives in oct it will feature the VX2s upgraded suspension link and 5 auto that will arrive this August. They must be getting mixed up with next years VY.

On the Ford front theres a little write up on Prodrive buying Tickford. A story on Ford pulling out of the 300+ Coupe although i hope they can use AEC and find a better place for its running gear! They also reveal the 220kw XR8 but no test and no mention of one in next issue. They say that the Ts will get the 260kw stroker from OCT but also have heard that theres plans for a hotter XR8 either then or before.:cool: :cool: :cool: Apparently SS and S outsell XR6 and XR8 2-1 atleast which Ford hopes to turn around in the next 12 months. Personally i hope so but i think this hotter XR8 will be needed first to take some shine of the GEN 3 name which still has as much or more power than the XR8 although im sure the XR8 is the better car overall but the Holden faithfull wont take notice of that like power. Also Ford are toying with ways to find extra power for the I6 for AV. SCharger, Twin cams and low pressue Turbo are being looked at with the latter being the favoured. I really think that whichever way it would have been finalised a while ago but i really hope its the Turbo as it would provide the best and easiest aftermarket ability even if its on a single cam head. I dont know how Ford will get the XR6 to outsell blown Ss before this though. Performance and price are the secret to any XR but especially XR6 so maybe one of the 2? Also the specs on the supercharged VCT XR6 were weak as piss when tested by Motor a little while ago and i doubt a NA 6 will have any adv over the blown 3.8 which is starting to move into the 200kw zone very soon let alone future versions. Better be a Turbo DF!

Im dissapointed to hear that a decision on the Focus coming to OZ is due within a couple of weaks but even if its confirmed we woont see it before 03 at the earlist. Another Ford that will be called outdated by journos due to it getting here 5 years too late?:mad3: :mad3: :mad3:

·
7,777 Posts
I don't think XR8 will have to be upgraded again if what Tickford says is true (that XR8 beats SS now).

However, there is always the possibility of a limited ediition similar to what we have mentioned before aka XR8-R, i.e. an XR8 with a few special features. Someone jogged my memory by mentioning the name XR8 Sprint. Maybe the Sprint could be a permanent model with an extra few kWs and options. Couldn't be a bad thing I'd say!

AU2 XR8 Sprint:
230kW Synergy (GT40 intake mods)
Exhaust change to twin oval black outlets (looks different)
Standard bodykit
Momo wheel and shifter
Specific rim design
Premium brakes (current type)

Only problem might be price points with TE trying to stay under luxury tax threshold. I think the government should bump the threshold up to just under $60k.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Nice bit of reporting there DR XR. Would be interested to know how the Au model XR stack up against the previous XR series cars in terms of sales

·
Ford Member
1,054 Posts
Would love another Sprint especially one with a detuned stroker. And lets not forget ditching those yellow side indicators in favour of some Ghia clears because those yellows match nothing now that the backs are clear. Amazes me the hav'nt done this to XRs and T Series atleast. Im amazed that they would give XR8 more power if it will be as fast as an SS given that they have had trouble being able to make the T Series more powerfull than an XR8. TE is going to have to stay under the Clubsport for a while IMO no matter how much faster or better equiped it is. They cant afford to be dearer when they are trying to get into HSVs own market. If Ford goes Turbo there has to be a market for a Predator between XR8 and TE too.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Aussie Pete said:

A little birdie (okay - Mr Flint) says they have verified the times of 220 XR8 vs VX SS and the Ford has the Commos measure up to 160km/h. So, looks like we be whipping the Commo boys from now on. Of course there's always the factor of the goobers Motor have driving the cars to contend with.....
That is interesting. I wonder if this is a first for Ford and how important this sort of test was in deciding the spec of the new XR8 motor?

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
I hope this is true.

David can say that its faster, but what the general performance car enthusiast (holden/ford fan) will believe is different matter, especially after MOTOR test it. I can't see them getting faster times out of the XR8 than the T-SERIES. They got a 6.3sec 0-100, and 14.6 for the 1/4 in the TE50 at PCOTY, I doubt the XR8 is quicker than that.

·
7,777 Posts
Whils the current TE50 with alloy heads has 220kW, the new cast iron head engine has a stronger mid range. This is where the gains will come from.

As for 0-100 and 1/4 mile, I place more emphasis on in-gear times like 80-120 etc. These tell a different story in many cases. For example, WRX was all boost and gearing. A pig to drive every day. I also wonder whether testers allow boost to build before timing turbo cars. It should be from foot down time if you know what I mean.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
About this Discussion
58 Replies
18 Participants
FM
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing