Ford Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been a lot of talk regarding auto vs manual on this site of recent times. Interestingly, the latest Motor magazine has a camparo of XR6T, XR8 and SS utes in auto form (I know it is not FPV, but it makes the point I feel).

Acceleration times seem to be well below times for these utes in manual form. Does this suggest that a manual driven well will clearly out perform the auto? I would say so looking at these times.

Out of interest, 0-100 & 400m times for these autos were

XR6T 6.53 & 14.62
SS 6.76 & 14.70
XR8 7.05 & 14.93

I know that times depend on weather, surface etc etc but these are some really slow times IMO.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
i have seen a few BA utes run 14.9 & 15.00
acouple of quick ones have gone 14.70

regards
rod

·
X-DM!!
1,114 Posts
fordmuscle_83 said:
Whats going on with the xr8 there? Traction issues?

A manual XT with exhaust would be snapping on its heals.
Yeh, I am thinking of trading mine in on a XT after seeing those times.

·
Movin!
2,924 Posts
maybe not far off? Mark (XRFPV8) has run a 14.7 with zorst and cold air which may account for 1/10th... but i would think that it would be closer to the sedan times. Then again different track, conditions etc the details of the test would be beneficial such as track, day etc.

I believe the manual will get faster take off, my xr8 ute got 14.4 and has got more left in it so maybe their times were not on an ideal day. Maybe they tested at heathcote on a 30+C day like us!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I wasnt so much looking at the 1/4 times but the 0-100. Its sad to see a v8 ute do the same time as a 1.3L turbo starlet.

There is always a blower.

·
X-DM!!
1,114 Posts
fordmuscle_83 said:
I wasnt so much looking at the 1/4 times but the 0-100. Its sad to see a v8 ute do the same time as a 1.3L turbo starlet.

There is always a blower.
Now I don't know what to do.........do I cancel the XT and buy a Startlet?!?!?!

·
mmm...kilomawatts...aargh
1,061 Posts
rod c said:
Now I don't know what to do.........do I cancel the XT and buy a Startlet?!?!?!
Go for it, all you need to do then is get some smaller tools to fit in the back and you'll be right. What's the payload on a Starlet?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
greetings all
looking for expressions of interest for a group buy on Toyota Starlet's
sure we could get a good trade-in on the ute & maybee even pensioner discount to calder lol

regards
rod

·
X-DM!!
1,114 Posts
I just read the "Gone Bush" article in Motor mag. The way it is written is BS!! We all now how Aussies talk, if they are going to write something, write it properly. Don't insult your readers with this garbage. If I want to read something funny....I will buy a comic!!!

·
Beastmaster
940 Posts
Gees some of you guys burr up easily....

MOTOR tested 3 utes on the same track on the same day in whatever weather conditions prevailed.

They did NOT remove all excess weight and have 5 litres of fuel
They did NOT run 10 psi on street slick style tyres
They did NOT keep going back until they got better times.

Motor once did a 13.98 in a GT. This this mean that if you do 14.5 in your GT on a hot shitty day with a 10 knot headwind and a gut full of semi dodgy fuel that your car is crap and should be replaced.

Get real..... Most of the "STOCK" extremely fast times are helped along a bit.
Lets see what I could do to make my stock GT-P quicker.

1) replace me, I weigh 100kg, get a 50kg person to drive save 50kg
2) almost empty fuel tank, 60l of petrol = 43kg
3) remove spare tyre, tools etc , 20 odd kg

ok now I am lighter.... lets see what else
10 psi in rear and 55psi in front, more grip at back less friction in front
remove airbox (dodgey but there is no dust here right????)
run ultimate with RON booster (or 100LL from the bugsmasher).
run early in morning when there is lost of lovely dense cold air.
better still run with 10 knots of COLD wind up the arse.

Still sort of stock....isn't it?

Do an outstanding run, get the slip and then never run again, well why should I, I have the slip from willowbank to PROVE my car can do 13 seconds flat ..........
Now where is my baseball cap?

I am always amused by the LS1 brigade rabbiting on about mid 13s for EVERY stock LS1 ever made and my poor old GT-P only does about 14 flat or so.
I have NEVER been beaten by a stock LS1 ever (I have never run a real GTS yet though). Maybe all the ones I have played with were just letting me win.
Or maybe almost all my runs have been in places where there was no time to "prepare for racing" i.e. "4 lane bi-directional racing tracks" and both cars were not 'stock' but 'as you normally drive them'.

I think that MOTOR do a fairly good job in testing.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thats some good points you had there Flappist beastmaster . Thats what I reakon Holden do to there Test Cars. When the VY SS first came out motor did some High 13 sec 0-400m. Not even a VX HSV Clubsport with 255 could do those times. or even an VY 1 Clubsport could not do those times and yet they had more power and lower diff.

In the march 2003 Wheels Mag. Wheels did a comparson of an VYI SS vs BA XR8 and a VY1 Clubsport. What I remember is That 0-100 for the XR8 was 6.1. two tenths quicker and 0-400m in 14.4 as the SS 14.5. What I am getting at is that the Boss Motors in Real Life are just as quick or quicker than the GEN 3 V8. I just think that Holden make there test cars lighter and give them a little tune up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't know if the last couple of posts were directed at my initial thread or the subsequent replies, but if we are really not interested in understanding the performance relativities between vehicles, then what is the point of 90% of threads on this site. I would say we all are interested and that is why we read this site and buy magazines like Motor. Which models perform better, which mods make a real difference etc etc. Then at the end of the day we can make an informed decision when it comes time to spend our hard earned.

I am sure we are all aware of the million issues that ultimately determine acceleration times, and ignore tenths of seconds here and there in tests, but when an XR8 is posting 0-100 in over 7 seconds (with 260 kw), it has to prompt some questions...

I also believe Motor get it mostly pretty right, which would suggest to me that clearly:

a) the sedan is quicker than the ute in standard trim (which makes sense given the ute weighs more + rear end etc)
b) the manual is quicker than the auto in standard form and when driven well(an issue that has prompted hundreds of posts to date with little evidence to make an definitive call)

There are pages and pages of talk on here without any quantifiable numbers to back up, so I just think it is worth bringing some reasonably reliable times to everyone's attention for discussion (not point scoring).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts