Ford Forums banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
JCV8 said:
So there's a 10% difference in the ratios, and a 7% difference in the times. You do the math!
its only applicable on identical engined cars once u change the torque and power delivery with different engines the % differance isnt comparable.

·
Bourbon powered V8
4,787 Posts
So CSV, are you saying that if you put a 3.7/3.9 ratio diff in a GT that it wouldn't acccelerate any faster than it currently does? Surely it would - and that difference would probably mean that it could out accelerate the GTS. Or not.

Either way, It doesn't really worry me - I'm quite happy (for the moment) with my V8 AU Forte. I just wish I could afford a GT - I'd buy one even if it is slower than the GTS!

·
Registered
122 Posts
what I'm saying is your maths only works when comparing apples to apples. Run a GTS with 3.91's to a GTS with a 3.46 and compare the times?
Maybe Ford have chosen there ratio's for the GT cause they did the above example, if the car is overgeared sure put 4.11's in it but it may not be quicker down the QTR yet it may have faster in gear acceleration.
BTW if u are happy with a 14sec car your lucky it won't cost u to mod it. Some of us can never have enough and power costs $$

·
Bourbon powered V8
4,787 Posts
Mate. I'd be lucky to have a 16 second car - that's why a 14 sec car looks good to me. No doubt, 6 months of a 14 sec car would have me looking for something faster, but if i could afford one in the first place, I could (possibly) afford to mod it!

Oh yeh - I see your point about the diff ratio thing. Obviously the P in GT-P stands for porky!

·
Registered
911 Posts
I "only" own a BA Futura wagon which knowing that it was the least improved of the BA range probably set my expectations lower. However after two weeks driving it, it is simply the best wagon Ford has EVER biult including XR range of EF days. It feels expensive, drives like a Euro including NVH (allowing for leaf sprung r/end which is suprisingly very well set up), infact under hard acceleration it sounds very good, BMW'ish. In every article I have read comparing BA, the end result is "its the best all round package" and todays Motor thinks the XR6T is one of the best balanced cars on the PLANET. At the end of the day 0-100/400m times mean nothing, when was the last time you drove home and it was a runway all the way. An enjoyable drive includes the twisty bits, with hard breaking, picking your line and charging away. Maybe I'm getting older, but i would buy the best all round package every time.

Any idiot can pick a car for its acceleration times, a real driver picks the drivers car!

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
I think we have the EB GT all over again.

1993 Mustang Cobra and EB GT basically shared the same driveline with around 150kg weight difference. The Cobra ran low/flat 14s in the US. EB GT Mid 15s.

2000 Cobra R and BA GT basically share the same engine spec, with around 150kg weight difference. The Cobra has run as quick as 12.7 1/4s, the GT low 14s.

WTF is going on? The weight difference should at worst make 3-4 tenths difference over the 1/4. Not nearly 1.5 secs

·
Copyright �2003
1,517 Posts
russellw said:
...This is one sweet car. If I find it desn't go hard enough for my tastes then I'll let Rob the Magician have a play with it.

As for those who want to go around pissing on things - if that's your bag then this isn't the car for you. Perhaps you can just keep waiting until (if?) the HO arrives and see what it does

Personally I want a well equipped, sweet handling and braking car that has good grunt. And low 14's is good grunt in my book. It will do me nicely and I have no doubt that the GT-p with a bit of extra weight will be slower again...
I agree with your last sentence, but with the mod bit tacked on to make it a low 13's car :s6: but what if potential customers want to purchase a car that has this "factory built" street speed/power over it's rivals? As I metioned earlier, speed isn't it all, as the whole package has to be taken into account. But if speed figures don't matter, and quality and handling do, why didn't the T-series sell as well as it's Clubsport opposite numbers?

Marketing would be a big reason, I guess, but imagine if the T-Series range had of had the edge over HSV in all aspects of "performance" as it did, but including the 0-100 and 1/4 mile times?

Like you mentioned if more power is what we crave, then we'll take the aftermarket road and get to a point that we are happy with, but Joe Average more than likely will not go there and will compare the standard features of both makes, including what Motor and Wheels pump into us all... how fast it goes vs it's rival.

For mine, I'd never be happy with factory power. I'll always want to tweak up the power for the enjoyment I get out of having my car modified. But I'd be in the minority. :s4

On a side observation, the people that will buy a GT and GT-P, will have no worries about the tenths. But the majority of Ford fans, whom will never purchase these cars, still want bragging rights, be it only over a beer with their Holden/HSV supporting mates. If FPV come out with a GTS beater then Ford fans will be happy even if the rest of the range might not meet the Ford publics (high) expectations. I guess it's sort of like people going on about Ford vs Holden battles in the V8 Supercars. It's mainly emotion. :s1

Hope this made some sense, it's late and I fear I may be babbling. :wtf2:

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
I'm gonna withdraw from this because my egging people on has ended up making me look negative - hence my joke has finished. Put these cars side by side and the only thing that pisses me off is the XR6T beating the GT :3monkeys:

Anyhow, I've been doing some thinking. There are two key performance points we are discussing: 0-100km/h and 0-400m.

Looking at the GT gearing we note that the rev limit in second gear gives approx 104km/h. However, testers note that they are requiring a shift from second to third just before 100km/h. Hey?

This makes me wonder. Are they doing the 0-100 and the 400m on the same run? If so, the fact that the undersquare Boss engine best uses a short shift below the limiter might mean they are shifting before 100km/h to get a better 400m time at the expense of the 0-100. Think about it!

As for modifying your car by going to Rob Herrod, Happy Jack said he'd kill me if I touched my Pursuit in any such way. I'm scared! :AAHHH: :3monkeys: :AAHHH:

·
Blue Blooded Ford Man
1,619 Posts
AP, when has the GT been lined up against the XR6T on the same day?

Until they do, I simply can't accept that the GT is slower. Not with 50kw and 70nm extra.

Test them on the same day, and then we can discuss who is quicker.

The SS has tested quicker then the XR6T on the same day.

The XR8 has tested quicker that the SS on the same day.

I am sure the GT would be quicker than the XR8.

So, using plain logic, you would see that the GT would be quicker than the XR6T.

·
Copyright �2003
1,517 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
...As for modifying your car by going to Rob Herrod, Happy Jack said he'd kill me if I touched my Pursuit in any such way. I'm scared! :AAHHH: :3monkeys: :AAHHH:
Your a dead man! :p :s6:

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Grunter said:
You're a dead man! :p :s6:
Must resist. Must stay alive. Must live to see my offspring :angel: :beatup: :nk: :3monkeys: :priest:

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Grunter said:
On a side observation, the people that will buy a GT and GT-P, will have no worries about the tenths. But the majority of Ford fans, whom will never purchase these cars, still want bragging rights, be it only over a beer with their Holden/HSV supporting mates. /B]

Fair comment ... and as a manufacturer who do you build the cars for? The buyers or those who want bragging rights?

Russ

·
Copyright �2003
1,517 Posts
russellw said:
Fair comment ... and as a manufacturer who do you build the cars for? The buyers or those who want bragging rights?

Russ
The buyers, but build a model varient that is a stormer for bragging rights for those who cannot afford the performance models right now, which can help to build a Ford following for future Ford purchases. :thup:

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
russellw said:

Russ
Well i think it's important that the "bragging rights" factor is almost as important as "building it for the buyers". Unfortunately, it seems the "mine is bigger/better/faster than yours" is not going anywhere in this country, so i believe Ford need to fulfill the expectations of this demographic also, not only will this improve brand recognition, it will help credibility and have a filter down effect through the other models of the lineup.

So yes, IMHO, for Ford to exceed in the game against HSV, they need the times to go with the hype.

Now, i'm not saying they haven't already done this, imo, i don't think they're too far off my expectations, and if i was in the market for one today, i wouldn't have an issue with it, but i know many do.

just my 0.2c...

·
Bourbon powered V8
4,787 Posts
Russ - hopefully it's both - ie something that fits what the buyer wants, and something the rest of us can 'brag' about - especially when the V8 supercar falcons are being flogged. If the race results can be turned around, then we will not need to rely on the production vehicles for our 'bragging' point. I've put bragging in quote marks, beacuse I really think it means something ALL ford drivers can be proud of.

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
Just to add a little more to this discussion, i'm sure i briefly read something about the GT that was tested only had 17" wheels as there were supply issues... please correct me if i'm wrong, but i haven't had the chance to read my mag properly yet...

Now if this is true, what effect could this have?

41 - 60 of 80 Posts