Ford Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some info from anyone who's running a MSD 6. What distributor do you run as I'm looking for a replacment. Not interested in V/advance as it is bracket car.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I fitted a MSD 6AL and MSD Pro-Billet Distributor a few months ago, a great dizzy, but at nearly $700 it ain't cheap. It's the best dizzy out there in my view if you don't mind paying that much. I previously ran a Mallory and Accel but they didn't last very long.

I'm sure that Ford's factory electronic XC onwards being magnetic trigger works fine with the 6AL if you already have one of these. They are as robust as the MSD Pro-Billet but a hassle to change advance curve.

The 6AL also works fine with points, so you've got heaps of choices mate.

·
BSR Twin System (tm)
4,751 Posts
I run a Modified Motorcraft Points Distributor in my XB. The internal workings have been removed as I have Crank Triggering and an MSD Programable Timing Computer. The ignition unit I use is an MSD 6AL.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
smciner1 how do you find the programmable timing computer? Worth the money? Was thinking of one myself to custom tune my timing better than I've been able to with the mechanical advance. They expensive?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Mallory literally fell apart inside - weights and springs - very quickly. The cap also flogged out on the locating tongue, inferior material. Mallory stuff is budget orientated.

The Accel was a tad better, I got 4 years out of it but that is poor in my view compared to OEM stuff. The bushing got flogged out of specs and it got pretty rusty in the centrigal advance.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
STROKEXD said:
I fitted a MSD 6AL and MSD Pro-Billet Distributor a few months ago, a great dizzy, but at nearly $700 it ain't cheap. It's the best dizzy out there in my view if you don't mind paying that much. I previously ran a Mallory and Accel but they didn't last very long.

I'm sure that Ford's factory electronic XC onwards being magnetic trigger works fine with the 6AL if you already have one of these. They are as robust as the MSD Pro-Billet but a hassle to change advance curve.

The 6AL also works fine with points, so you've got heaps of choices mate.
Yep the MSD gear is just to hard to look past regardless of price... WIns hands down. Plug in and race. The advance changing bushes are great ect

·
BSR Twin System (tm)
4,751 Posts
STROKEXD said:
smciner1 how do you find the programmable timing computer? Worth the money? Was thinking of one myself to custom tune my timing better than I've been able to with the mechanical advance. They expensive?
They work very well, the adjustability is the best part. They cost around $500-00.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can get the MSD for $474 or the Accel Electronic for $435 which is better for me since it uses standard type cap

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Just another thought.

From everyone I've spoken to the Ford electronic dissy does a great job - pick one up cheap too. They're a piece of cake to wire up to your MSD ignition. I have an MSD Digital 6 plus and a standard electronic Ford (Bosch) dissy on my XD.

Here's a link below (to another cleveland forum) reference getting rid of your vacuum advance. You can either just take the hose off and plug the hole or remove the whole vacuum diapragm unit on the side of the dissy and ensure you lock the moving parts for the advance inside.....the link explains how.

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/message?forumid=119419&messageid=1072952614

I was going to get an all bells and whistles MSD Dissy - it would be nice - but you don't need too.......not revving to 10 grand are you!! ;)

You running and old or new cleveland block?....just making sure you're aware of the different size dissy holes in the block.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Stroke XD, I'm assuming you have got an older cleveland block for your stroker motor? Just wondering about dissy shafts being too fat for the later moder blocks to see how you got around it with an MSD unit.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
TruBlu no it's late model so the MSD Pro-Billet shaft needs machining down to fit - an easy fix. Ford Bosch dizzy is a good unit agreed, but as I said earlier if you are into changing your advance curve like I am to optimise your motor then it's not such a hot idea.

Having used the Ford unit, Accel, Mallory and now MSD Pro-Billet the MSD beats the rest of them hands down. Cost is the ONLY draw back. And not for reasons as you say revving to 10 grand. That's got not much to do with it, have run all these dizzy's at the same revs - upto 7000 - they are fine.

Slaveswage at that cost - $474 - doesn't sound like a Pro-Billet, but shit if it is, grab it - that's very cheap.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Racer what was the reason(s) for the 6AL failing? Some people say they are a great unit and others say otherwise. More divided opinion on the 6AL than most things. MSD seems to be the only mainstream manufacturer that stress cycles each unit before sale and the 6AL is used in Nascar racing.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
MSD Pro-Billet Price.........................

Don't always get ripped off by your local speed shops. An MSD Pro-Billet goes for US$260 (thats the cheaper version that only works with MSD control boxes) p/n: 8477. Theres a more expensive Pro-Billet version that works without MSD boxes which goes for US$286 p/n: 8350.

You can get them from Jegs.com or Summitracing.com who both ship international.

With the current high exchage rate ~77 US cents to the aussie dollar it's not a bad option.

US$260 + about US$50 s&h = AUS$402................to your doorstep.

An MSD 6AL sells for US$196 p/n:6420. Add that in, AUS$253 = AUS$655 for whole package, probably plus some more s&h.

StrokeXD, from your first post, did you pay $700 just for the dissy or the whole ignition package?

The more expensive orders may atttract some import duty - but you can still save money (call customs for info).

Good luck.

ps: How about an "MSD Digital 6 plus"...............built in 2 stage rev limiter and single stage timing retard (nos users).....US$280........AUS$360 + s&h.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
TruBlu I wish!! The best price I could get anywhere in W.A. was:
Part #8577 Pro-Billet $620
Part #6420 6AL $560
landed incl GST.

Maybe we get ripped off here in WA..

I had the money and didn't have to wait for stuff to arrive, so I just went for it.

Got the MSD HVC coil for $260 also, so with leads $150, whole ignition isn't cheap at $1590. You can build a motor for that. Ahh

·
Registered
992 Posts
STROKEXD said:
Racer what was the reason(s) for the 6AL failing? Some people say they are a great unit and others say otherwise. More divided opinion on the 6AL than most things. MSD seems to be the only mainstream manufacturer that stress cycles each unit before sale and the 6AL is used in Nascar racing.
Myself and others have had high speed misfires. And a couple more have had complete failures (the MSD shit itself and the car wouldnt start).

A bit like Barry Grant fuel pumps. I know 6 guys who used to run them but had binned them due to complete failures. Most have gone back to holley blues. Cheap and nasty - BUT AT LEAST THEY WORK!

I could go on and on about big name stuff failing - but i won't. Unfortunately a big popular name doesnt always equal quality.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts