Ford Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Australian TE50 AU1 Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was very fortunate today, I managed to score a test drive of a Mustang at my local FTE dealer, Gregorys. Mustang is an apt name for this beast, it kicks and snorts and wants to bolt at every opportunity. Not what you would call a luxury sportscar and it does have a few annoyances, like the indicator on the left with the wiper lever. But these are soon forgotten when downward pressure is applied to the right foot and that engine sings.

What can I say, it is absorbing, intoxicating, addictive, .....heaven. I hope Ford find a place for this rip snorter in their cheaper cars, believe me, this is an engine that will sell cars. It’s hard to resist keeping it hovering between 5000-6000rpm, it just keeps pulling and howling. I found handling to be better than the TE, very stable in fast corners. The gearbox was a bit notchy especially from 2 –3rd, but you get used to it. I didn’t notice the clutch being too heavy, though the one in my TE felt really light afterwards.

Overall this is a fun car to drive and drive and drive. I just didn’t want to give it back. I know what I’ll be dreaming about tonight. Oh yes, I left with a promise of a test drive of the TS50 series 3 when it arrives in three weeks, please, no hate mail!!!!, I know how lucky I am.

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Ya lucky #*&#@ :angry:

:bs2:

Three weeks eh? Hmm.. wonder how long it'll take to get to FTE Newcastle.. 3 months?? :thdn:

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
na no hatemail, i can give ya all the hate right on this forum!
Na seriously though if ya love the normal mustang so much how much would you luv the RA!?
Anyway id love to drive a mustang but geelong dont even ave thier own fte dealer!

·
Australian TE50 AU1 Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, I was thinking about the RA, can't even imagine it's performance. I'm impressed with the 4.6 engine, will we see this another car?, I understand it won't find it's way into the XR8.

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
TeeHee said:
Oh yes, I left with a promise of a test drive of the TS50 series 3 when it arrives in three weeks, please, no hate mail!!!!, I know how lucky I am.
Mike!!!!... Buddy!!!! You still have my number right?? Hehehe... :hy:

·
RACE
2,950 Posts
TeeHee said:
I'm impressed with the 4.6 engine, will we see this another car?, I understand it won't find it's way into the XR8.
Not in the AV as far as I know, but if the 4.6l is that good, I can't wait till the 5.4l! :rcool:

Although the 4.6l will be optional on the new Explorer, in a detuned 178kw version.

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
will that be the sohc or dohc for the explorer. I beleive the reason they didnt want to get the 4.6 was that it didnt have the torque curve that was required for the falcon. The mustang donk has 430nm and the cobra Ra has about 460nm with 280kw and is good in the lighter mustang. This new 5.4 is gunna be a beats and I know its all new but will it be debuting in the falcon and then used in other ford cars or built only for our falcon?

·
RACE
2,950 Posts
Good question Cobra. I'm not sure if the Explorer 4.6 is SOHC or DOHC. I'm sure the Ford Aust. website would eventually have info on that.

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
you would think that torque would be a MUST for the explorer. Does anyone know how much torque the patrol/landcruiser ect have?

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
el2xr8 said:
Ya lucky #*&#@ :angry:

:bs2:

Three weeks eh? Hmm.. wonder how long it'll take to get to FTE Newcastle.. 3 months?? :thdn:

I reckon they will be one of the first to get it in.......time to Mr Bank Manager

·
Read Only
1,395 Posts
Cobra said:
you would think that torque would be a MUST for the explorer. Does anyone know how much torque the patrol/landcruiser ect have?
Taken from the Nissan Patrol spec page..

"Firstly there's the awesome new 4.8 Litre, 6 cylinder petrol engine. The most powerful Patrol ever. With 185kW of power and 420 Nm or torque the Nissan Patrol is more powerful than the LandCruiser, V8 Lexus, V8 Discovery and V8 Grand Cherokee. Quite simply the new Nissan Patrol is the most powerful Patrol ever,......"

That's pretty impressive for a big 6. More than the New Explorer's got that's for sure.
Drive Explorer write up..

"The real gun in the Explorer line-up is the new all-aluminium 4.6-litre, SOHC, 32-valve V8, which shares its basic architecture with the Mustang's V8, as well as the 5.4-litre DOHC, 32-valve V8 that will power next year's AV Falcon.

Available only in auto form, this engine produces 178kW at 4,750rpm and 382Nm at 4,000rpm, with 90 percent of torque available from just 1,500rpm."

We'll have to wait and see for some comparo's.

...Oh yeah, and as for the Mustang test drive TeeHee...You lucky dog!
Russell.:s6:

·
Read Only
1,395 Posts
In addition to the Patrol specs...here are the Landy's specs..
"Engine type Petrol
Engine description 6cyl/DOHC/4v
Maximum Power 165kW @ 4600rpm
Maximum Torque 387Nm @ 3600rpm "

and the Turbo diesel
"Engine type Diesel
Engine description 6cyl/SOHC/4v
Forced induction system Turbo
Maximum Power 151kW @ 3400rpm
Maximum Torque 430Nm @ 1800rpm"

Some lazy pulling power there eh!
Russell. :s5