Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
greaser
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago I replaced damn near everything on my truck as far as brakes, shoes,wheel cylinders, drums etc. Everything worked like a charm. It sat for about three or four month's because I became Ill. (long story) Anyway, yesterday I go to hop in it to drive it back home,(it was parked at our horse stables) and the brakes go all the way to the floor! I mean nothin! No resistance no anything. I look under the hood and notice that rod coming through the firewall, Its like a piece of half inch round bar with a small 90 degree bend at the end. When I step on the pedal it just jiggles around in the air. It looks like something is suposed to be connected to it but off the top of my head I dont remember what the assembly looked like. I cant find the scematics or a diagram of it. I did also notice a long rod of the same size stock running down from the pedal on the inside of the fire wall, but I couldent see where it went. Any ideas what Im missing or what happened? Anyone got a picture of what it lookes like in there?

·
Registered
198 Posts
The rod going through the firewall should go into the master cylinder bolted to the other side. No master cylinder, no brakes.

·
greaser
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually smart ass, no it Isn't. The rod on the inside I found; goes up to the master cylinder. I dont know what the other rod is for. But I figured it out anyway. I'm not sure how it happened, but over the few month's that it sat, most of the brake fluid evaporated. There's no leaks, everythings new. Besides I checked everything just in case anyway. So I bled them and got a bunch of cruddy, black sludge, and lots of air out. Now it stops on a dime, as it should. Silly me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Actually smart ass, no it Isn't. The rod on the inside I found; goes up to the master cylinder. I dont know what the other rod is for. But I figured it out anyway. I'm not sure how it happened, but over the few month's that it sat, most of the brake fluid evaporated. There's no leaks, everythings new. Besides I checked everything just in case anyway. So I bled them and got a bunch of cruddy, black sludge, and lots of air out. Now it stops on a dime, as it should. Silly me.
From your description, I kinda thought the same thing as bertha66.

Good to hear you're back on the road.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts