Ford Forums banner

Do your brakes squeel alot

• does your first gen brakes squell all the time and annoy the shit out of you?

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • no mine are fine, u must be crazy

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Probe LX Member
36 Posts
Did you check out the pads yourself? It's possible that the inner pads are worn down to bare metal.

·
NEPO / Probe LX Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no i had them checked when my car had some hose from the engine block to the heater replaced, they said all the pads were fine, they said that squelling brakes were normail for this kind of car and im like WTF, and i told everybody else than and they were like WTF that place smokes crack, so i figured the next best thing was to ask other probe drivers

·
Probe Member
106 Posts
It's not normal for your car to squeal, the material that the pads are made of may be though. Typically, the cheaper pads have more metal in them and that is what is sqeeking. You might want to try the Bendix Import Quiet pads =$30 from Trak Auto. I put them on my 89 GL with x-drilled rotors and they are perfectly silent. However, they make a ton of dust. Ford pads are (more expensive) quiet 99% of the time, but every now and then there will be a few that come back into the shop and the customers say they are squeekin. I hope this helps you out.

·
Old Skool Member
1,031 Posts
I voted yes because I've noticed lately that mine will squeel too, but only when I am not pushing down on them! When I let of the brakes they sqeak just enough to be annoying. I think either my brakes need to be bled, or I just need new pads... but the tire shop said they still had about 40-50 percent life left in them..

It just started to do this a couple of months ago.

·
Mod/SCPOC/Probe LX Member
276 Posts
mine are starting to squeek too. In mechanics school they always taught us that this usually can be fixed by turning the rotors. Its worked on every car so far.

·
Probe GL Member
77 Posts
I had recently replaced mine... and they squeeled like nothing else (Extremely annoying).

Turns out the metal scilencing shims were close to the rotor, and when I pressed the brakes the scilencing shims would touch the rotor and cause the worst absolutely horid shrill squeeling noise EVER!...

I rebent them and it's been fine and quiet ever since.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts