Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys
last night i started my car and took off. about 20 secs later my car simply died. when i tried to start it again it turned over fine but the engine made NO attempt to start. what has happened?
thanks

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
No Petrol :0)

pump maybe

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok. when dad checked the carby he said it was dry. so the assumption is that its fuel! the tank is full so its either the pump or a blockage. how do i tell which one it is? also how much is a new pump and how do i put it in?

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Take the carpet out of the boot
Undo the 6 screws holding the metal plate down
Now under that plate is a big plastic ring that holds the fuel pump in, check the voltages there, and you can jump power to it and make it pump petrol.

If it is the pump thats stuck, while starting the car, belt the tank from underneath with your fist a few times it may start.

Fuel lines will have some pressure in them so be a little careful, but start tracing the fuel lines and check, if you disconnect the line in the engine bay, and the one at the tank, blow (dont suck the petrol it tastes like crap, drink milk if you do) and see if it comes out the other end.

Hope that helps :0)
Jason

·
Chasing 500rwkw
3,176 Posts
Check all the wires are still attached to your ignition coil first, its easier to check.
I dont think the fuel pump works if the coils get no signal, This happens on my mini all the time, a wire will jump off and it will stall and not start again until the wire is replaced. Not fun on the freeway.

Hope that helps.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Try dropping some fuel in inlet if it fires then stops it's fuel.
Take a spark plug lead off crank engine with lead say 12mm away from good earth.No spark suspect coil etc...Three things usually to check.. Compression,Fuel and spark...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok guys. i put fuel in the inlet and it started. so now its the pump because i cant hear it priming. but b4 i replace the pump i wana make sure it isnt just the relay which has gone. how do i do this? thanks

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
Like Dellboy said, use another battery or some long wires and jury rig the pump wiring to test it :)

·
Often has bolts left over
848 Posts
Dellboy999 said:
(dont suck the petrol it tastes like crap, drink milk if you do)
lol have to remember that one, got any tips for diesel?

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
Hehe
Coke works well for engine oil too :p

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
The relay is under or near header coolant tank/ battery...Swap them relays around to check ? Or test that there is power when key is on reds for first 10 seconds or so...With 12v test light or multimeter...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
with the electrical plugs that go into the pump, should petrol piss out of it wen i remove the plug to test if power is getting there? which two wires will i test? thanks

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
The electrical connection is just that wires, so NO petrol will come out, the hoses carry the petrol.

as to what wires do what, no idea manual at home sorry.

Jason

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well wen i pulled one of the electrical plugs which had a red and black wire in it, petrol started to leak out!!??

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
That's not right, how full was the tank?
Petrol should not be anywhere NEAR that plug!
Perhaps you knocked one of the fuel hoses?

BTW black is earth, apply 12v to the red wire to make the pump run.

·
Falcon 2.. Ferrari 0 hehe
1,290 Posts
i dont think u should provide power if its got fuel on/aroundi t, all it takes is one little spark and KABOOM!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i tested the wires that go to the pump with my multimeter and while dad turned the key it only read 8.5volts. but the interior lights are fine and read 11.9volts. is this a problem? does this mean it is the relay or is the pump only meant to have 8.5volts going into it? thanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts