last night i started my car and took off. about 20 secs later my car simply died. when i tried to start it again it turned over fine but the engine made NO attempt to start. what has happened?
ok. when dad checked the carby he said it was dry. so the assumption is that its fuel! the tank is full so its either the pump or a blockage. how do i tell which one it is? also how much is a new pump and how do i put it in?
Take the carpet out of the boot
Undo the 6 screws holding the metal plate down
Now under that plate is a big plastic ring that holds the fuel pump in, check the voltages there, and you can jump power to it and make it pump petrol.
If it is the pump thats stuck, while starting the car, belt the tank from underneath with your fist a few times it may start.
Fuel lines will have some pressure in them so be a little careful, but start tracing the fuel lines and check, if you disconnect the line in the engine bay, and the one at the tank, blow (dont suck the petrol it tastes like crap, drink milk if you do) and see if it comes out the other end.
Check all the wires are still attached to your ignition coil first, its easier to check.
I dont think the fuel pump works if the coils get no signal, This happens on my mini all the time, a wire will jump off and it will stall and not start again until the wire is replaced. Not fun on the freeway.
Try dropping some fuel in inlet if it fires then stops it's fuel.
Take a spark plug lead off crank engine with lead say 12mm away from good earth.No spark suspect coil etc...Three things usually to check.. Compression,Fuel and spark...
ok guys. i put fuel in the inlet and it started. so now its the pump because i cant hear it priming. but b4 i replace the pump i wana make sure it isnt just the relay which has gone. how do i do this? thanks
The relay is under or near header coolant tank/ battery...Swap them relays around to check ? Or test that there is power when key is on reds for first 10 seconds or so...With 12v test light or multimeter...
i tested the wires that go to the pump with my multimeter and while dad turned the key it only read 8.5volts. but the interior lights are fine and read 11.9volts. is this a problem? does this mean it is the relay or is the pump only meant to have 8.5volts going into it? thanks.