Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
do YOU have rubber?
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
... thought you guys would be interested in the results of the last day (or what tibbo calls the never ending quest for e-series glory)

They say pictures speak louder than words so here we go...
The ricey 1.7:1 'Ford Motor Sport' Roller Rockers and bling bling B.P.T Underdrive Pulley Kit and a 20 rwkw 2 pac paint job.

New rockers installed

Rocker MACRO baby

Topless Windsor

Ready for Re-assembly

Upper intake on-da-bench

Rocker Covers on-da-bench

Underdrive Pulley Spinning

Finished Drivers Side

Finished Passenger Side

Red is Faster?

The underdrive pulley is significantly smaller in diameter than the factory unit. I was almost embarrassed showing my mates :p GIRL PULLEY was the cry! The new belt is as tight as a camels arse-hole in a sand storm. I've had some troubles with the alternator (lights dim at idle) but I believe these to be pre-existing concerns.

It seems that the note of the motor has changed. It's hard to describe but perhaps "throatier" is the best way to put it :hehe2:

Hats off to Ford for the well thought out design of the drivers side rocker cover to alternator & heater pipe clearance. :whatever:

I'll have the beast dynoed and run her at willowbank again. I wonder if I'll need a roll-cage :evillol:

p.s. Just joking about the bling Barry, the pulley R0cKs!

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Someone hurry up and post some good I6 pics so I can kill this urge to get an eight.

Looks tops mate!

·
No longer around
4,882 Posts
top stuff mate.

just a question.... why is your engine bay monza red while your car is regency (i think) looks kinda odd....

other than that it looks great

·
do YOU have rubber?
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ford stinged on the engine bay,, they used a base coat minus the metalic on the engine bay opposed to the metalic paint on the outside.. The colors are actually the same but without the metalic fleck thru the paint, it shows up very differently with the camera flash.. The deep maroon 2 pac we used is not regency but a maroon with a pearl.. We tried to highlight the engine by painting the manifold and rocker covers in a distinctive (although matching) colour, not so much blend the parts in with the rest of the car... As we had it all dismantled, why not splash on a nice colour??

·
Formerly: SmokeEA
1,117 Posts
red always mean go faster, but white is still the fastest colour! ;)

·
THE VILLAGE LUNITIC
1,149 Posts
hehehe let the games begin hey:) cant wait to see u out next willowbank meet paul:) that is sweet

·
i pity tha fool
1,040 Posts
lucky bastard.. except i woulda put a better manifold on and painted that.. :shrug:

you didnt get to test drive the pulley by itself did ya. made a difference i noticed.. but those rockers would have givin you some extra urge huh?

·
known as tibbo
2,033 Posts
ahhh the manifold is on the cards but Mr. Visa is nipping at his heals for now i think.. I have enough paint left over for when he gets his finger out and makes the next major purchase...The most surprising thing (without a timeslip as proof yet) is the rumble in the exhaust,, The car now has a noticeable growl... I'm calling sub 15 second 1/4 mile times now... And no we didn't run the car with only the pulley,, it was an all or nothing kind of job

·
100 SPEED LIMITED SILVAEA
1,043 Posts
shit i better hurry up and sort this upper manifold for ya now ignition.

mmm carbon twin throttle mmmmm

cheers.joe.

·
100MPH Hunter
1,045 Posts
Did you do all this by your selves??? Very well done. You will be nipping at my heals now young Paul. I think I had better pull out my big guns for the next 1/4 mile challenge!!!!!

·
a vile merchant
714 Posts
gm dstroya said:
cheers.joe.
It's his lower causing all the restriction..

Ignition congrats good job mate! How does she feel?? Big seat of the pants increase? I can't believe the difference just the UD pulley made!

Also, was it really necessary to remove the lower manifold to install the rockers? I was thinking the valve covers could come off with the lower in place..

·
100 SPEED LIMITED SILVAEA
1,043 Posts
PigDog said:

tis all good,

i am planing on doing a whole manifold anyways :wink:

it'll be easier to do a whole manifold

cheers.joe.

·
known as tibbo
2,033 Posts
PigDog said:

Also, was it really necessary to remove the lower manifold to install the rockers? I was thinking the valve covers could come off with the lower in place..

The lower manifold didn't come off, it is just covered in grey tape to stop any nasties from falling inside

·
a vile merchant
714 Posts
tibbo said:
The lower manifold didn't come off, it is just covered in grey tape to stop any nasties from falling inside

In that case ignore my stupidity :)

·
do YOU have rubber?
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
NZ said:
Hehe, nice job on disguising the Manifold...

What did your extractors cost?
The were $650 installed which I thought was a damn good price considering the work required to weld new flanges on the cats and shift them back.

jmartion said:
lucky bastard.. except i woulda put a better manifold on and painted that.. :shrug:

you didnt get to test drive the pulley by itself did ya. made a difference i noticed.. but those rockers would have givin you some extra urge huh?

Well it’s all a matter of money I guess and having the old slug off (oh and I know why it’s called a HO manifold now) was a great opportunity for tibbo to cast some colourful magic over it. It was a matter of chucking all the go fast bits on at once. I was keen to get the uber-thrill of multiple simultaneous mods. I’ll have to take her somewhere to give her some stick. She’s been babied so far :p Even at light throttle and revving in neutral the sound is better and rate at which the revs increase is faster.

gm dstroya said:

mmm carbon twin throttle mmmmm

cheers.joe.

Get that monster I6 on the black stuff first Joe!

TwinPiston said:
Did you do all this by your selves??? Very well done. You will be nipping at my heals now young Paul. I think I had better pull out my big guns for the next 1/4 mile challenge!!!!!

Yeah man, a back yard (well actually front yard) job. What big guns have you got planned mate?

PigDog said:

Ignition congrats good job mate! How does she feel?? Big seat of the pants increase? I can't believe the difference just the UD pulley made!

Cheers mate. I observed an increase of about 3 cheeks on the ass-o-meter ;) The car seems to have a different personality now. Sound, willingness to rev etc. We got the rocker covers off with a bit of brute force and ignorance but putting the painted ones back on, we got skirty and pivoted the alternator out of the way to avoid scratches.

We used no new gaskets during the job! The rocker cover gaskets were nicely seated on the heads so all was good there (just as well, they are well over $100 EACH from ford) and the upper manifold gasket was fine too (I picked that up new for $30).

One thing I did notice this morning was a tapping sound audible at idle and more so under load. You can only hear it in the cabin with the doors and windows closed. It’s almost like the sound of pinging but less “rattly”. As I say you can put your head up near the rockers and it sounds fine but something is coming through the firewall I think, there’s a distinct raspy sound there. I let it oil up a bit and it improved slightly… I’ll see how she goes, perhaps something is just floating around somewhere.

!Gn|T|0n©®™

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
Well done Ignition, let us know how much of a difference it made dyno & track wise as soon as you can!

Man Im jealous, with all that bolt on stuff it really makes my pants expand.

On a side note, what kind of exhaust system do you have, and what did the rr's set you back?

·
do YOU have rubber?
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
blueoval said:
Well done Ignition, let us know how much of a difference it made dyno & track wise as soon as you can!

Man Im jealous, with all that bolt on stuff it really makes my pants expand.

On a side note, what kind of exhaust system do you have, and what did the rr's set you back?
I’ve got the pacemaker headers, stock cats and Y piece then a miss-matched cat back. The piping is essentially a Midas (big mistake) off-the-shelf 2 ½ mandrel bent system with the hotdog, muffler and rear resonator removed and a single Lukey offset-centre straight through muffler welded in. For a single straight through it’s really quite at idle but (especially in the last 24hours) it sings when up high :hehe2: I bought the rockers from partsguy on the forums. I’m not sure if he’s cool with me blurting out the price but it was pretty reasonable esp. compared to ford pricing. Cheaper than the Yella-Terra alternative put it that way.

·
do YOU have rubber?
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
!Gn|T|0n said:
I’ve got the pacemaker headers, stock cats and Y piece then a miss-matched cat back. The piping is essentially a Midas (big mistake) off-the-shelf 2 ½ mandrel bent system with the hotdog, muffler and rear resonator removed and a single Lukey offset-centre straight through muffler welded in. For a single straight through it’s really quite at idle but (especially in the last 24hours) it sings when up high :hehe2: I bought the rockers from partsguy on the forums. I’m not sure if he’s cool with me blurting out the price but it was pretty reasonable esp. compared to ford pricing. Cheaper than the Yella-Terra alternative put it that way.
EDIT: Hey tibbo, perhaps we can try the audio/video on your new camera with a clip of my new exhaust note?

EDIT EDIT: oops, I quoted myself instead of hitting edit. I'm an asshat.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts