Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Ford Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have had this problem ever since we put the EF motor in the air tube between Air box and Inlet maniflold colapses in on itself at the elbow at wide open throttle at the moment the highest revs I can get the car to is 4000 RPM and that is if I accelerater to 1/2 then slowly press accelerator down I doesent matter how slowly thou at 400o it closes up and restricts air flow to engine :(

here is a picture of offending compont I havent had time to take a pic with it collapsed.

http://www.users.on.net/morant/engine2.jpg

I know the fist response is to put a pod filter on but i want a solution that is quieter with pod filter it sounds like a truck taking off plus it run to lean with pod filter on an it gets the atention from the police :(

Does anyone know if something like an XH one would fit or maybe an ED XR6 one?

·
grippin'n'rippin
250 Posts
check the filter. might be dirty. If its not flowing enough air to feed the engine at high revs, it might be creating a vacuum inside the tube, collapsing it.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
also, go to the wreckers and get a pipe off an EA with MPI. They have a larger diameter throughout the whole piping. The EBII and ED ones are smaller at the Air Box end..

Also the airboxes on the ED XR and the XH utes are the same. The XH Ute have a different snorkle. BUt wot sleepwalker says is most likely correct!!!

Check your filter, and maybe replace it with a K&N panel filter...

·
Ford Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Tube is a MPFI one, this car is a Fairmont Ghia they are factory MPFI.
The filter is new I replaced it when I took the pod filter off.
I have the XH cold air intake tube I had to put it on to clear EF Top radiator hose.

So the ED XR6 and XH are the same as EA or ED?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Moran said:
So the ED XR6 and XH are the same as EA or ED?

Yep, the the top and bottom parts of the box are exactly the same..

But i suggest getting a hose from a MPI EA, from the throttle body to the airbox (as i said b4). I dont know y they changed it on the EB and ED's.. The pipe should only cost $5..

Have you got a paper filter or a K&N?

If you want, i could take a photo of the difference between the 2 pipes

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Well if this isnt a problem with the pipe being weak or something (from old age, or heat) then why dont you make up some renforcement for the inside of the pipe?
Get an old coat hanger, bend and shape it into a spring/coil shape slightly smaller diameter than the pipe. Insert the coil into the pipe.
Problem sloved.

Although try replacing the intake pipe first, yours just maybe soft from old age.

Just an idea, hows your engine mounts? I wonder if at highish rpm the engine could be tilting causing the pipe to crush?
Worth checking out....

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
OED666 said:
But i suggest getting a hose from a MPI EA, from the throttle body to the airbox (as i said b4). I dont know y they changed it on the EB and ED's.. The pipe should only cost $5..
Since he has an EA MPI then he should already have the larger intake pipe. Unless he changed it when he put the new motor in?

I think they reduced the internal size of the pipe on 4.0L EBII/ED due to too much intake noise.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
also from memory when i got my EA intake pipe, there was a single wire goin around inside it about half way down. it didnt coil around, it was just a single circle, that fitted into the ribbed piping. they may not be in your intake pipe anymore

·
Ford Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
OED666 said:
also from memory when i got my EA intake pipe, there was a single wire goin around inside it about half way down. it didnt coil around, it was just a single circle, that fitted into the ribbed piping. they may not be in your intake pipe anymore
The wire reinforcing is still in the centre part but its collapsing in the elbow just before the intake manifold its the original factory Intake tube.

We though of putting a spring in there but we dont want to risk it moving into inlet manifold and jamming butterfly open.

We noticed problem a few months back we wondered why with a pod filter on it could easily reach 6000 rpm's but with airbox on it struggled to get to 4000 so we just waited till engine was warm and then with the bonnet up my brother opened the butterfly wide open then we noticed the the elbow was colapsing and restricting the flow to about 1/4 the Hose is the original one it would have done the whole 436000 km's in the car, I would say it has just weakened. The reason I was asking about the later model ones is I thought they may have designed them to be stronger than EA one.

The bownish stain on pipe is water from when radiator hose burst and poured rusty water on pipe this may have weakened it its been like it since I bought it

Here is a picture:
http://www.users.on.net/morant/engine7.jpg
the yellow area is the area that is collapsing. the red area is where one of the springs are located the second one is near air box

·
Ford Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Brand New Intake Hose from Ford Dealer is $50 :)
Now all I need to do is find a Ford dealer with one in stock

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
I have an EF airbox in my EA, got a bit of guide to do it as well, drop me a PM with your email address if anyone wants it.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
$50 is alot for that pipe.

surely there would be a wreckers that would have one

Also, wot sort of panel filter do you have

·
Ford Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
OED666 said:
$50 is alot for that pipe.

surely there would be a wreckers that would have one

Also, wot sort of panel filter do you have
I dont want a second hand I could have tha same problem that mine has I am going to ring around for dealers in melb the geelong ford dealer quotedme the melb price as the ford empolee price.
My air filter is Valvoline

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
can the filter, and get a K&N Panel filter, they are exy, but worth it.

i am only trying to save you spending $50, if you get one in good condition, and maybe put more of those support wires in it, take the wires out of other intake pipes. i am sure the wire wont come out

·
Ford Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its the Elbow part thes collapsing there is no where in there for the support wires to go in elbow I dont want to ris one of those wires dislodging and ending up holding the butterfly wide open. as for the K&N filter I heard the dont filter the air as finely as a standard filter does which is a problem if I constantly travel on gravel roads.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Ok, but if you keep the K&N clean and Oiled it will be much more efficient. Thats how the filter works, as the oil on it catches the ust particles. I go to my sisters house, and go on dirt roads.

All you need to do is clean your filter say every 25,000, and also now and then just spray some filter oil over it. It will work sweet as

·
Ford Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its still not going to stop Air Hose collapsing Thou

1 - 20 of 26 Posts