Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish I had this two door. It could keep my four door happy.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the motor you mean. 272ci / 92hp, stand back ladies. No this one in particular has a six cyl.

·
Australian ED XR6 Member
569 Posts
Probbly produce more power than the infamous "Y" block too

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not to sure what this one produces, I'll have a look on the website and find out. Guy in the states own the thing.

·
Australian ED XR6 Member
569 Posts
Not 100% up on em meself. Do know the "Y" block isn't at all popular for performance work.
Not that you'd buy a beauty like that ol girl for performance, she's built with all the curves in all the right places.....

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've seen y-block's tripped over the mother's used them as anchor's etc. can't recall what the pistons were exactly, but seem to recall both countries using cast and steel. depended on where you lived and how cold it got.
thats why the flat head V8 never survived in australia.

The engine was designed for the states, trouble was it was sold where it was alway's cold (frozen actually) the exhaust ports ran through the head, so the head warmed up quickly and so did the motor. then bang gaskets used to blow etc, including the odd engine. In Australia it was different it used to heat up and overheat. you can't win.

then they solved that problem, there was an overhead conversion kit designed by 2 german's, zardon and dunkoff. this eliminated the flat head design and solved some of the problem until the first original overhead motor was designed in 1954. hence the y-block or 272.

·
Australian ED XR6 Member
569 Posts
Just statin that a "lady" like that doesn't need to be flogged like a racehorse to be attractive. She looks graceful enuff as she is. A nice deep belly rumble can only sweeten the mix. ;)

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wulos. your giving me a woody.
I have great respect for old iron, nothing comes close today, and never will. this is pure poetry in motion.
and yes that sweet rumble, nothing can replicate that.
long live the 6 volt system.

·
Administrator
4,980 Posts
Those old flatheads make a nice sound and they seem to be gaining in popularity with the rodders.Doc ,you know your y blocks.I saw one in a car ,can't remember the car , but the exhaust manifold went out the front of one bank and crossed over to the other exhaust via a cross pipe. looked a bit strange but it looked factory.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you are correct with the exhaust system crossing over like you say. they went under the water pump at the front, this then went into a single system. the trick to a twin system was to take a single exhaust manifold from a mercury flathead motor out of a bus or truck (21-24 stud 221ci) the right hand side exhaust of the car motor was placed on the left hand side, and the truck exhaust was placed on the right hand side, giving you a twin system. the trucks and buses used different exhaust systems. neat little trick that.

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
Anyone got any piccies of a '34 coupe??... My uncle had one when I was a little tacker. I've wanted one ever since. That's my dream car... :D

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll have a look for ya. Sure I've got some somewhere in the dungeons. I'll post them tomorrow.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
All I can say is 'Doc, you must be OLD'. Like REAL old. ;)

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,542 Posts
Aye Doc,

Me being a ford man from the new age ie(XF onwards) i must admit i don't know much about the old fords. Browsing through my archives of wheels mags i went back to the issue of february 1986 where they had a write up on all the LTD type vehicles from the 1985 LTD and back till the 1950 Ford Custom Single Spinner.
I was an interesting read and any knowledge of fords is worth while.

What i like to know is, is your 1955 custom line look anything like the 1957 customline with the multi colour paint scheme. I'd like to know so i know what to look out for on the hwys when you comeup this week end. :D :D :D
Also did the 351 you have in it came stock????

Have to say reading up about it i wouldn't mind the 1966 Ford Galaxie 390. I have to say thats raw ford power. Had a top speed of 193kmph not bad for an old girl. That thing must have had bags of power, hehehe 390 cubies is enough to cahllenge the GenIII.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
my cusso is green. the clevo is slightly warm, but not standard issue. Im not that old, 42 in 3 weeks.

the 390 I know well, only trouble is it's as heavy as hell. In the engine dept, off the top of my head, I think the flywheel alone weighed something like 10-11 kilo. the crank was heavy as well. drop that mother on your foot and you'll never play the piano again.

Another good car is the 1963 American LTD. that thing scares anybody. 8 abreast in the back seat, 6 in the front seat. awesome.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
8 Participants
THE DOCTOR
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing